Author Topic: Metro lister  (Read 16861 times)

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: Metro lister
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 01:25:07 AM »
new topic, these bronze idler bolts, is this a nessassary item, we buy lister clones, then all of a sudden, the idlr bolts are not manufactured right. So , as newbees to the lister world . what is everybody saying/ we buy a lister from India then everybody says, buy a bronze gear,and or offset bolt. hotater says its agood thing.(great industrialist) as Amercians and Canadians, what is the right advice, I always thought we Americans and canadians were the best inthe world. You know Im from detroit, I think all lour western technology is totally is being sold to 3rd world countrys, come on amercan and canaian Tech.  what's happening brian, Detroit
Brian,
There are lots of quality issues with the "Listeroids" from top to bottom. Some components will do there thing for a long time some will bite you in the ass when you don't want it to. The offset bolt is only needed because the location of the hole for it in the case is a crap shoot on location. I believe they sloppied up the idler bolt so the idler gear won't bind on the Timken roller bearing race on the crank. Instead of paying closer attention to tolerances they loosened up things so they wouldn't have to take it apart to correct the issue. Most things on a "Listeroid can be fixed or replaced but the idler bolt hole location in the case is a problem. The offset bolt helps correct this problem. It is not a cure all for sure. I believe there are inferior crank and cam gears that will destroy the idler gear just as quick as improper gear mesh. If you happen to get a good "Listeroid" the upgrades aren’t necessary and unless you do a complete tear down and attempt to correct issues you think will cause a problems only time will tell. There are many 6/1's out there that have many hours on them with loose idler gears and no problems....then there are some that love to eat them. I haven't heard of a factual discovery of why yet. You fix what is obviously wrong and see how it does. Time will let you know if you did it right.
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

lip5er4

• Newfoundland(the great frontier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 02:31:48 AM »
You know its too bad that we as americans cant build this engine, Its 1930s technology but, it seems like we need it today,especally when gas and diesel is going so high in price,alot of us want to get out of mainstream america. I do, and want to live off grid.but as long as there's an interest in these engines, we wiil persevere.  you guys,I say hats off to ya, keep up the good work. I'll be reading. Brian
Moving to newfie.....

lip5er4

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2007, 01:00:11 AM »
Hotater, rules. this guy is definitly a true machinst and pioneer.Listen to his advice. he nows metalurgy welding , engines, The best advice on the fourm. brian (just my opinion) Brian
Moving to newfie.....

lip5er4

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2007, 01:33:09 AM »
as afollow up, the one thing I like about hotater is he explains and shows what he does and  how he does it.Pictures tell a thousand words. I like his Knowledge. he shows the most important pics we need to see. This guy is definitly an asset to the forum. Brian
Moving to newfie.....

lip5er4

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2008, 07:57:08 PM »
Happy new year to everybody,I Hope all of us prosper, in the new year,are world is changing, go lister, off grid , God bless all of you. Brian Detroit.
Moving to newfie.....