Author Topic: 1941 Lister D carb & exhaust placement  (Read 8511 times)

brainshbsuk

• View Profile
1941 Lister D carb & exhaust placement
« on: December 09, 2007, 08:03:11 PM »
Hi Forum,

I have a Lister D, Spec 26DHR, setup for petrol running, it has a 1-1062 head. Can anyone confirm that the exhaust port is on the left and the carburettor is on the right, also that the exhaust port exits the head from the valve under the spark plug, is this correct?
I can confirm that the engine runs anticlockwise hence the R in the SPEC number.
I have read from cover to cover David Edingtons Lister D story and there is no mention of this setup. It looks from many pictures that I have seen that the DK SPEC is set up in this way but no others-hope someone is able to help!

Thanks
Brian.

listerdiesel

Re: 1941 Lister D carb & exhaust placement
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 09:43:30 PM »
Hi Forum,

I have a Lister D, Spec 26DHR, setup for petrol running, it has a 1-1062 head. Can anyone confirm that the exhaust port is on the left and the carburettor is on the right, also that the exhaust port exits the head from the valve under the spark plug, is this correct?
I can confirm that the engine runs anticlockwise hence the R in the SPEC number.
I have read from cover to cover David Edingtons Lister D story and there is no mention of this setup. It looks from many pictures that I have seen that the DK SPEC is set up in this way but no others-hope someone is able to help!

Thanks
Brian.

The DK has a vapouriser block that effectively changes over the inlet and outlet by memory, we have one in the workshop somewhere, and if you think about it, if you run the engine backwards, with a single cam and equal valve timing, you probably would use the ports back to front compared with the standard petrol engine.

The Changed Number spec listing folder with the D engines in is at the factory (work) so I cannot look at it right now, but I'll have a scan tomorrow and see if it says anything about reverse rotation engines.

(Digs out Book 68/438)

Camshaft for Standard Rotation D31
Camshaft for AntiClock Rotation D31R

Carburettor for Standard Rotation 1/801
Carburettor for AntiClock Rotation 1/803

Governor Rod is different
Magneto is different

Fuel pipes are different

The standard engine drawing shows the exhaust valve nearest the spark plug, and facing the two ports in the head, that makes the exhaust the Right Hand side port.

The changed governor roads etc etc are almost certainly because overthing is reversed, including the carb and silencer.

The factory drawings show both engines with exactly the same exhaust and carb positions!

Peter

brainshbsuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 10:46:10 PM »
Hi Peter,

When I got the engine last week it was all complete apart from a missing carb & the head had been removed. The mag is stamped anticlockwise ( arrow under timing chain gear). The starter handle is anticlockwise & the governor rod assembly is set to the right. I cannot find any other petrol only models with this configuration. My father has a clockwise D series with the same 1-1062 head and carb is on the left. Would the head part no not be different?

Confused of Sussex ;)

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:33:18 PM »
No, you could use the same head as I said above, and there is not a different head for the anti-clock engines, you just swap the ports over, effectively.

I had a quick look through the Number Changes book and while there are a lot of mechanical changes to pipework on the carb, the carb governor linkage and the carb itself, the head etc all stays the same.

The DK is back to front as the exhaust comes out of one port and goes through the body of the vapouriser and out in the side that the carb would have been, the carb is now on t'other side where the exhaust was.

You need to see a DK vapouriser to understand how that works!