Author Topic: SOM Flywheels Needed (US).  (Read 5167 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
SOM Flywheels Needed (US).
« on: December 08, 2007, 08:25:37 PM »
I'm looking for SOM flywheels for my Listeroid because of my flicker senstivity.  Even with a good regulator (90% reduction in measured flicker levels), I can't tolerate the lighting or my shop heat lamps.
Please don't offer alternate lighting ideas.  I'm aware of them.

If anyone can help locate a pair of these beauties for me anywhere in the US please contact me.

Thanks,
Bruce M

Stan

Re: SOM Flywheels Needed (US).
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 01:46:52 AM »
You could even use the "electric flywheels" that differer from the SOM ones only in that they don't have the twin belt grooves on them.  They are the same weight, which is  125 Kg or 275 lbs each as opposed to the regular flywheels which are 65 Kg or 143 lbs each.  If you are driving your generator using a flat belt, it makes no difference whether you have the twin grooves or not, it might even be better without them.
Stan

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 04:01:53 PM »
Thanks Stan.  I didn't know Lister made "electric" flywheels as well. That would be better for me as my generator is on a serpentine belt.  My compressor is driven off of the a big cast iron pulley outboard of the other flywheel.

Stan

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 04:15:49 PM »
There are a couple of other guys on the site with the heavy flywheels without the twin grooves.  They were used on machines equipped with large pulleys, some as large as 18" with twin grooves and they were also used as direct drive machines for water pumping.  I don't know about any generators that operate at 650 rpm so that is probably not an option.

One thing I would like to know from T.W.H.M.K.T.I. (Those Who Have More Knowledge Than I) is if I can operate a single V belt off the flywheel (without the groove) or if it would twist on every revolution destroying the belt in short order.  I have planned on running the little generator I have (Generac 2400W) on a single belt (as it was designed) from an 18" pulley.  But if it will work without the pulley, straight off the flywheel, that would save mucho pesos.
Stan

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 05:35:34 PM »
There are a couple of other guys on the site with the heavy flywheels without the twin grooves.  They were used on machines equipped with large pulleys, some as large as 18" with twin grooves and they were also used as direct drive machines for water pumping.  I don't know about any generators that operate at 650 rpm so that is probably not an option.

One thing I would like to know from T.W.H.M.K.T.I. (Those Who Have More Knowledge Than I) is if I can operate a single V belt off the flywheel (without the groove) or if it would twist on every revolution destroying the belt in short order.  I have planned on running the little generator I have (Generac 2400W) on a single belt (as it was designed) from an 18" pulley.  But if it will work without the pulley, straight off the flywheel, that would save mucho pesos.
Stan

I run an automobile alternator with one belt and no groove. I can load it down enough to stall the engine and no problem with the belt.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

rocketboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:57:43 PM »
I've got a spare set of 6/1 flywheels. You could add them to the crank shaft and have 4 flywheels for mega-smoothing.

Bob Florida
Sadly, artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidiy.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 10:22:48 PM »
Do your wheels have counterweights? 

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:02:54 PM »
Which model Listeroid do you have? I've got several models of flywheels that might work. I have 2 styles of 200 lb flywheels in stock, 20" and 23.5 with a 4" face with heavy rims. These are some that I had custom made in India.

Mike

dmp

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 01:07:58 AM »
Which model Listeroid do you have? I've got several models of flywheels that might work. I have 2 styles of 200 lb flywheels in stock, 20" and 23.5 with a 4" face with heavy rims. These are some that I had custom made in India.

Mike,

I have a 6/1 that is flywheel balanced with a C.I. piston.  Heavhigher flys are interesting.  how would your's work,
if at all, on my engine?

Thanks,
David