Author Topic: Piping exhaust outside, safe options needed  (Read 30512 times)

clytle374

• View Profile
Re: Piping exhaust outside, safe options needed
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 03:55:37 AM »
I think I will just leave the doors open when I run it.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 04:55:23 AM »
That's what I'm doing now. I made a propane tank muffler for my roid and have the exhaust pointed out the sliding door.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

villageidjit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 05:21:51 PM »
Will the bender in a automotive exhaust shop do it?

Most any electrical contractor will have the ability to make the bends for you.  Just a matter of contacting one willing to do it at a reasonable price.

Most have pipe benders for bending 3/4 inch up to and sometimes more than 6 inch pipe.  Standard pipe, not heavy weight pipe.

Vic
Somewhere in the Ozark Mountains, the Village Idiot is missing!

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 10:33:05 PM »
I would also inquire about the use of their Cable stretcher for those times when your measuring tape tells you lies about the true run of cable needed.

Ive though about this a lot....

There must be something simple and straight forward one can do. A concrete block wall is not that simple or striaght forward lol....

Lots of people have invested a lot of time and money in those stailess steel chimny liners and related ahrdware to make wood stoves safe so maybe the best advice was and remains a stop to one of thoses supliers.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2007, 02:35:22 AM »
I'm starting to think I should knock one stud out and cinder block it.

Stan

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 02:52:59 AM »
Probably the cheapest, safest route to go.  You could always fill the blocks with Vermiculite (exploded mica) which is fireproof and will provide a measure of insulation.  (a concern to me because it's only -10C or +7F outside right now  :(
Stan
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 02:55:05 AM by Stan »

clytle374

• View Profile
More fun with exhaust
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 04:04:49 AM »
More advancements, more snags.

Exhaust installed.  Use 6" x 12" triple wall with caps on each end, inside cap has vent holes.

I temporally used some flex exhaust pipe($.99/ft NAPA stuff) between the engine and pipe, this stuff sucks and needs upgraded soon.  I need something better to isolate the engine vibration from the exhaust, any suggestions?

I have I experimental expansion tank I made, I haven't tried it since the pipe was stuck in the muffler from clamping it too tight(it was leaking).

Thought the swirling exhaust might help scavange the cylinder, might be worse than nothing.  Free materials minus gas and filler.  I'm going to try it between the engine and muffler replacing the lower 90Deg elbow with it.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 07:09:17 AM »
Nice install on the wall pass-through clytle374.  That will be really safe.  I also like your new expansion tank elbow!  I think that should flow at least as good as a standard pipe 90, but probably a lot better due to the extra volume; keep us posted on the performance.  Some front wheel drive cars have a section of braided flex pipe between the engine and the rest of the exaust system that is much higher quality than the wound type from Napa.  If you live near a you-pull junkyard maybe you could find something that would work better than the Napa stuff.  I've also seen similar flex pipe for sale on ebay.  Keep up the good work!  Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
hydraulic pipe bender on sale at Princess
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 02:48:40 PM »
One of the recent sales found a 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender on sale at princess for half price at $99.  It goes up to 2-1/4 inch IIRC.  I bought one to do some exhausting work.   :D   I have not attempted to fill thinwall (regular exhaust tubing) with sand to make a nice bend but it does not work without the sand.  On black iron water pipe it works FANTASTICALLY!!!!  I must try it on some electrical conduit.

In the present sale I think, there is a larger 16 ton bender that goes up to 3 inch in 7 die sizes beginning at 1/2 inch for $199 (save $100).  Sale ends tomorrow (Monday Dec 10).  correction Sale starts Dec 11nd and runs to Dec 30st  item # 8068033.  I am not affiliated with these fine folks in any way except that I seem to give them all the money I can borrow.  :D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 07:52:46 PM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 03:55:22 PM »
I went to a little exhaust shop, bought the muffler and long pipe.  Ask them for some of the short scrap pieces for exhaust/intake flanges.

If the expansion tank works good I'll get a bigger and better tank and make another, That old freon tank was pretty thin and rusty.  Yes I did weld through the paint.

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
I went to a little exhaust shop, bought the muffler and long pipe.  Ask them for some of the short scrap pieces for exhaust/intake flanges.

If the expansion tank works good I'll get a bigger and better tank and make another, That old freon tank was pretty thin and rusty.  Yes I did weld through the paint.

My engine is 10 feet from my living room wall and I can barely hear it run if I turn off the TV and hold my ear to the wall. I do not even have a muffler or tall exhaust.

30 gallon drum {for an expansion chamber} with removable top buried in the ground. Two 1 ½ inch floor flanges bolted to top and then install top. 1 ½ inch nipples in the floor flange. Cover top with dirt.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »
It's not loud now, just get a decent thump when under a hard load.  I'm sure I will need a bigger tank to deaden the thump totally but figure anything to help absorb it before the muffler will help.   There is too much rock to get anything of size underground.   

rbodell

• View Profile
    • Life after retirement
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 05:39:59 PM »
It's not loud now, just get a decent thump when under a hard load.  I'm sure I will need a bigger tank to deaden the thump totally but figure anything to help absorb it before the muffler will help.   There is too much rock to get anything of size underground.   

I could only bury mine part way so I put it inside a 55 gallon drum and filled the space with dirt. I am sure you could do the same thing with the 55 gallon drum above ground.
The shear depth of my shallowness is perplexing yet morbidly interesting. Bob 2007

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 07:51:45 PM »
The expansion tank works great, really quiets the exhaust down under heavy loads.  Reduced full load smoke considerably, so either it is helping the engine breath better, or it is filing up with soot as we speak. 

Now to make new one, thicker metal and more volume.  I've been thinking that I should make the outlet the same as the inlet.  ie swirl in on one end and swirl out on the other.  It would be nice to have a high speed pressure gage hooked to the O-scope for some real numbers.

listerdiesel

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 09:51:47 PM »
Couple of things:

Lister make recommendations about pipe sizes and distances for engines that are piped to the outside, both for exhaust and for cooling air if air cooled.

Swept 2" bends are readily available over here in the UK, material is quite decent but they are seamless or welded tube that has been machined, not castings, so quite light. Bigger stuff is also available.

The JP cast silencers are a thing to behold, they are 'huge' and effectively a big expansion chamber. We have a couple sitting outside, but they have been shot blasted and Zinc sprayed before powder coating so the weather doesn't affect them.

Lister silencers, cooling tanks and radiators are all in the Lister Data section of the website.

Peter