Author Topic: This engine looks the business!  (Read 7909 times)

1966Crew

• View Profile
This engine looks the business!
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:46:04 AM »
Check out this reefer unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kubota-Super-Mini-Diesel-Engine_W0QQitemZ110190771869QQihZ001QQcategoryZ11754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Add a gen and away you go. Looks like the pulley would have to be changed if it was going to be derated to 1800 rpm as it looks to be centrifugal. That must be to disconnect the compressor when the unit cycles.

Like the large sump too!

Jon

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: This engine looks the business!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:12:29 PM »
This looks like the same engine used in a lot of lawn mowers and other light machines.

Kubota makes a dandy little engine, parts are a little expensive. I've seen engines like this go as long as 1800 hours in very hard use ( and I seen them blow up in under 1000 in same aplication )

Other info its a precup diesel with glowplugs ( and you realy need the glow plugs if its cool out ).

Becuase its 3 banger it has some strange vibrations I find mostly at the lower speeds
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 12:17:17 AM »
Looks like the one in my Kubota compact diesel tractor. Except mine is smaller. 14hp triple. Has just under 2500 hours on it. Runs good, never fails to start in any weather. Great on fuel. It's 675cc. Doesn't vibrate any more than anything else, I suppose, especially considering it isn't rubber mounted.
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 12:34:52 AM »
Well if you need advanced corrosion testing and abuse, we can kill a kubota in about 1500 hours normal ( for us ) use and thats with 100 hour services.

In the real world I could probably make a Kub last a life time.

By comparison the 3 cylinder Ford agri engine ( that Lister Petter used to sell as a marine engine too ) is truely bullet proof something the kub could never touch ( even the bigger 4 bangers )

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 04:39:45 AM »
These Kubota engines are a refined version of the Chinese horizontal water cooled singles. they have a good reputaion for quality factor.  The Kub is an aluminum block engine and the China diesel is all cast iron.  For a portable application aluminum makes the most sense, but cast iron is a clear winner for an engine block in the` made to last a long service life` camp.  It is this cast iron block, and yes, nice machining of the China diesels that makes me prefer to spend my money on one of those instead of a Kub engine of equal horsepressure, given a choice.  In addition to the cast iron the China diesel is spec`d for rated power at lower RPMs.  You can get almost full power from a 2200 RPM Changfa or clone 1115 engine directly driving an alternator head at 1800 RPM.  The same Kub engine will need to spin 3200-3600 RPM to make it`s faceplate rated power.  Slower means not only much reduced wear, but also higher fuel efficiency as more time is available per bang cycle to squeeze a good complete burn from the slow buring diesel or heavy fuel oil.

The new China diesel can be had for the same price as a good condition used Kubota of similar power.  The Kub parts are much more expensive.  The Kub will not last nearly as long.  For a stationary power plant the decision of which to purchase is a no brainer for me.  I see a Changfa 1115 in my future likely to serve as direct back-up to my currently much relied upon DIY 1.5 litre, 9 kW 3-ph, VW Rabbit diesel powered generating plant in the shop. 
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

horsefly76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 08:19:21 PM »
 All of the light plants at the rental company I work for use the kubota D905 (900 ish cc's) driving a 6kw direct drive head @ 1800 rpm

Service is done @ 200Hr intervals.  Fuel, Air, oil filters are changed. Many of our units have 6,000 hours plus.  With valve adjustment @ 1,000 hr intervals being the only engine work being done other than the normal stuff like battery's, belts, 1 customer damaged starter and 1 water pump out of the 18 or so units we have.

At 1800 rpm the manual says they produce 10.5 hp burning about .6 gal an hour with average load of 4kw with all 4 lights burning. On a 30 gallon tank we get about 60 hr run time.

In all I think the kubota is a very solid little diesel.
2007 Metro 6/1 Running on Biodiesel (Thank's Sam!)
4 Hp Air Cooled Yanmar Clone
6.5 Hp Kubota EB-300 D
2007 kawasaki KLX 250 Dual Sport
2003 Jetta TDI 5 Spd.
1971 Lister SR1
2 Lister Petter LPA3

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 02:08:38 AM »
The Kubota EL300 I have has over 5000hrs on it, and makes 4 hp at 2000rpm. Liquid cooling keeps it quiet and steady. Has a built-in rad and fan. Starts up better than the tractor.

I can't compare it to the Chinese diesel, but with this many hours on it, it must have some decent quality to make it this far and still be this tight.

Kubota parts are certainly NOT cheap.

I can accept high replacement part prices, as long as I don't need any.   ;D
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 03:27:19 AM »
Well I don't own a Kubota but we have some Kub powered light plants in our rental fleet and the customers can't seem to break them. Seem to be pretty sturdy little engines. I do own a Changfa 195 and a Kohler 8kw with a 3cyl Yanmar Diesel pre Chambered with 6900 hrs on it and still going strong. I do like a cast iron block more than aluminum. I would pick up a Kub if I could find one and put it in my Cub Cadet (1969 vintage)

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:26:04 AM »
Kubota engines not in tractors are made by MK Power....

No details just some info I got.