Author Topic: Red Radiator Fan???  (Read 10850 times)

Stan

Red Radiator Fan???
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:10:39 PM »
OK, I've gotten the crud mostly cleaned off the fan assembly and it turns out that it was painted Red?  Wassup with that?  Does that mean it is a replacement fan or were there bits and pieces of Lister equipment that came out of the factory painted red?  All of the rest of Penelope (1949 6/1 electric flywheels) was painted Lister green, black or is shiny brass.
Stan

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Red Radiator Fan???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:01:11 AM »
Stan,FWIW my 57 6/1 rad model has some evidence of red paint under the Lister transfer on the crankcase.I was thinking that it was probably primer but who knows ???    Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Stan

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 12:34:15 AM »
I wondered if it might be undercoat, whatever was handy at the Dursley factory but it shows no evidence of any green paint over it, or under it for that matter.

Jens....electric flywheels were the 3 hole (two oval and a smaller round one)  25"D flywheels that had 3" x 4" outer rims and solid centers, weighing somewhere around 280lbs? each, to alleviate the flicker of generators by adding mass to the regular flywheels.  If you right click on my avatar and choose view image you can sort of see that on her flywheels.  (she looks much prettier than that now, in a couple of weeks I hope to have her back together so will post pics then)

Stan

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 12:45:15 AM »
Your machine has the same flywheels as mine Stan,no belt grooves.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 12:50:19 AM »
How do you post pics here?? I can open them in my explorer but then what?? I would like to show my engine.

Stan

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 04:17:39 AM »
Right Jens.....This 6/1 was originally bought after the second world war by the village of Tata Creek near here.  It powered their dance/community hall lights for 20 years or so until power was put in.  A friend of mine's wife's first husband then bought it and intalled it to power their home which is near St. Mary's Lake, again near here where it provided power for their family for a few hours each night.  It probably drove a generator using a second dual pulley (18.5" in diameter) which would drive a 3" pulley on a generator at 3600 rpm.  At least that's my theory.  Peter said some were hooked up direct to the crankshaft, but that would have to turn a 650 rpm generator ??.

How do you post pics here?? I can open them in my explorer but then what?? I would like to show my engine.

You have to load your picture into the coppermine photo gallery found at the top right of each page on this forum, (don't make it too big, there's a size limit)  then click on the photo to select it and right click it to select "copy image location".  Then type in your message and click on the little picture icon, above the smilies, second from the left, and insert (using ctrl-V) the image location in the middle of the javascript the little picture icon will put in your message.  Whew!
Stan

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 04:05:32 PM »
Stan-You have mail.

Stan

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 09:33:49 PM »
Here's contaucreek's pic of the 6/1 with electric flywheels.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »
My laptop doesn't show pics very well, but it looks like there is just one groove in that flywheel. I have never seen a original lister with just one groove.  I have only seen about a dozen in person though.  As far as paint who knows.  The first original lister I saw was black with gold lettering from the factory.  It had spoked wheels.  No grooves.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Stan

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 03:46:14 PM »
MLG.....I blew that pic up a bit and took a closer look at it and I believe that the mark on contraucreek's flywheel is just the paint worn off by the use of one vee belt.

Not to start a huge controversy, but my little generator which is a 3600 rpm generac (I know, I know, it's crap and will probably only last a few hundred hours but it's new, and it was FREE so I'm going to use it until it craps out, I'll let you all know when that is  ;D  ) has only a single vee belt on it. 

The single vee belt is not an add on, placed their by the PO, it's built into the fan so it has to be stock.  I'm going to try and run it with one vee belt, as it's only 2400 watts, and will see if there's any chirp etc or undue wear.  I know I should be replacing the pulley with a serpentine pulley and using that but.....

I eventually want to get one of Troy's nice 5kw 110v generators, but that'll have to wait as I'm on a fixed income and hobbies sit pretty far down the list of monitory priorities, especially since a grandson has usurped quite a few of those priorities.

Stan

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 08:39:32 PM »
Another NeeBee question:

If you right click on my avatar and choose view image you can sort of see that on her flywheels.  (she looks much prettier than that now, in a couple of weeks I hope to have her back together so will post pics then)

What is "my avatar"?

LowGear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 12:06:40 AM »
That's the teeny weeny picture on the upper left of each of my messages with the words "found in Kimberley BC" under it.  My pictorial representation, that by which everyone associates my ramblings and occasional gem.
Stan

OK....here's the gem.....you too can have your own avatar, go to the top of any forum page, select PROFILE, then on the left of that screen select FORUM PROFILE INFORMATION, then select the button beside I HAVE MY OWN PIC, and, oh yah, you should have uploaded a medium sized jpg to coppermine first!  Select that jpg.
voila! (as the new friends of all Americans say)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:12:41 AM by Stan »

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 08:40:14 AM »
I followed the easy to read instructions and here is Question 2:

The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved.

What does this mean?

LG
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Stan

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 03:27:22 PM »
How big is your pic?  There's a limit on size that coppermine will accept.  When I go into windows, and right click on a jpg and select change size, coppermine will accept the 2 smallest sizes, (sml 640x480 and med 800x600) but will not accept the lge size 1024x768.  Maybe that is your problem. 

Other than that, as others have said, coppermine is flaky.  If you have another place on the internet to put your pics, like any of the free post photo services you can use that instead of coppermine.
Stan

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 10:46:48 PM »
I have vbelts on my set and they are fine.  I'm not sure if there is any much power loss with them.  Does anyone have any hard data that says there is or is it just opinion?
MLG Gib Key Pullers