Author Topic: Website Revisions  (Read 4345 times)

listerdiesel

Website Revisions
« on: October 24, 2007, 07:55:19 AM »
As we are approaching 7000 viewable pages on the website, some of the sections are getting too large for the system to handle, particularly the ftp file transmission. Directory information on the larger sections can take up to a minute to get back from Oldengine.org, taking the time for a main menu update for the whole site to over half an hour (Each section has its own menu page, which is only updated monthly, while the front menu page is updated every time we do a revision)

We are therefore going to do a major revision on some sections, breaking them down into smaller pieces. Those regulars who access the site through the main menu will have noticed that we have revised that page to take more icons, and also the sorting of sections is now more user-friendly.

The first major change will be the Injection section, which will be broken up into:

1) CAV Injection
2) CAV Electrical
3) Other Makes Injection (American Bosch, European Bosch, Ruston etc)

If you access the site by URL rather than the main menu, then you may find that some of your links will no longer work. In that case, go to the main menu and follow the links and icons to the new location and bookmark that one instead.

The Technical section will be next, with the engine dating information being moved to its own section, and the remaining stuff split into two parts.

It should be pretty painless - I hope!

Peter

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Website Revisions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 03:03:29 PM »
Thank you Peter your site is the single largest resource for early Lister and Petter engines I know of.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listerdiesel

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 07:31:15 AM »
We have nearly finished the new menu page, most of the time has been spent generating new icons. I'll put the new page up later today, but it will not be properly connected to the website for now. It wil give you a feel for what it is going to be like.

The new menu page has more icons and space for new items, the sections are revised, Injection is split into 4 pieces now, with electrical being split off into its own area and icon.

All the engine-related stuff is grouped at the top of the page, rather than being spread all over, and generators have their own section now, with the electrical switchgear section having its own icon rather than being buried in the Miscellaneous section.

It will be easier for us to expand now, until we reach 10,000 pages, by which time we will probably have to do a big revision and split it over 2 sites.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 07:04:55 PM »
OK, we are up and running on the new menu and layout.

The old directories will remain in place for 2 weeks, then they will be deleted.

The main directories affected are:

Technical - broken up into smaller sections, Engine Dating has its own Icon on the menu, this directory will disappear.
Carburettors - broken up into smaller section my make - this one will also disappear
Injection - broken up into six sections, four are working, the other two will follow soon, this one will go as well.
Magnetos - broken up into sections by manufacturer, this one will be deleted.

ALL of the Lister information that was on the site (Technical section) is now in a new directory, with its own Icon.
ALL of the Petter information DITTO

There is a new Switchboard section with old meters and knife switches, this was 'buried' in the Miscellaneous before, now it has its own Icon.

We have had to edit over 2500 pages and create a load of new Icons for the menus etc., but it looks OK, and I'm glad we did it now and not later when the page count had passed 10,000!

Peter

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 07:13:41 PM »
Peter you are a gem of a fellow, thank you for your time and effort.

We should all kick in and buy this man a nice bottle of something or such.....

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 08:22:01 PM »
Thanks for the thought, but it's a hobby so no recompense needed :-))

If this stuff doesn't get onto the web in the next 10-20 years, then a lot of the information is going to be lost forever, and this is just a fraction of what is out there to be archived.

If we never bought another book or catalogue, we have enough material to go past 30,000 pages on the site, including some very old Patent information from the late 1800's to about 1926. That is official Patent Office books with Abridged Patents for Class 7, - Engines of all types.

We bought the books from a dealer in the USA three years ago, there are about 8000 pages to scan and edit.....

Peter

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »
A bottle of Alberta Springs or Crown Royal limited eddition might still look good on the mantle Peter.....

At this point anyone who like myself has vissited Peter's webpages and found useful information please send me a PM if you wish to contribute to buying the man some fine Rye for Christmas

listerdiesel

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 09:25:08 PM »
Thanks again, but I rarely drink anyway... :-))

I'm not exactly teetotal, but I do so much driving that I cannot afford to have any problems with drink-driving so I don't drink in the first place, easier that way.

My 'favourite' drink is actually Muscatel/Moscatel, a sweet white wine which is about 14-15% proof, we usually have a bottle around the house for the occasional late drink, and it is nice if you have a sweet tooth as I do!

Seriously though, don't worry about any pressies, if the website if useful to folks then that is enough reward.

Peter

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 01:35:20 AM »
You find me some realy good scrumpy and send it my way....
Leave the nice pine box and bottle of Rye on the mantle we'll call it square.

Realy good Rye Peter comes prairy grains, you sip it once and a while and think of oceans of wheat Rye and barley. Bad rye come form a distilery in Toronto and is made from corn and most people can't tell the difference because they mix it with Pepsi.
Dark days......