Puppeteer

Author Topic: inspection results after a long test using WMO.  (Read 28250 times)

sanchez

• View Profile
inspection results after a long test using WMO.
« on: October 22, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Hi,

I PERFORMED A TEST USING WASTE MOTOR OIL, THINNED WITH 40% KEROSENE AND FILTERED TO 2 MICRONS. AFTER 500 RUNNING HOURS WE DISASSEMBLED THE ENGINE, THE RESULTS WAS:

1) PISTON TOP WITH A CROASE CARBON DEPOSIT, JUST THE NECESSARY TO TOUCH THE CYLINDER HEAD.
2) PISTON GROOVES CORBONIZED.
3) EXAUST VALVE VERY CARBONIZED.
4) SOME MINOR CYLINDER LINER SCRATCH.

TALKING ABOUT THE ENGINE PERFORMANCE AND FUEL EFICIENCY, WHEN USE DIESEL THE EFICIENCY (WITH A RESISTIVE LOAD OF 80%) IS 12.5 KW-H PER GALLON, WITH THE WASTE ENGINE OIL BLEND ITS DECREASE TO 9.5 KW-H/GAL.

I PERSONALLY, DO NOT RECOMEND THE USAGE OF WASTE ENDINE OIL AS FUEL, IS CHEAP, BUT THE INTERNAL ENGINE CONTAMINATION DO NOT PAY FOR THE COST/PROFIT RATIO.

JMW

• View Profile
Re: inspection results after a long test using WMO.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:19:50 AM »
That's interesting testing.

Can you tell us more about the temperatures in and around the engine while you were using this fuel.
Did you add any additional heating?
Did you start from cold on this fuel?
How is your cooling system configured?
What are your climate conditions?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to work out if this fuel is usable, if used slightly differently.

Mark

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 12:27:59 AM »
Sanchez,

That more or less tracks my own experimental findings only I was using used oil that was mainly ATF with some used motor oil added for color.  Not by me.   :D   My discovery was that my VW engine injectors (my stationary genset) would coke badly despite filtering through long time settling, then 10 micron then a 2 micron caterpillar filter.  In my case the engine would get sick in less than an hour.  Increasing the content of clean diesel as an adtive did not eliminate the fouling but rather it allowed longer run time by exactly the same amount as the mix ratio had changed towards clean diesel.  Vacuum distillation would work but is a lot of trouble and expense.  Short of that a centrifugal system may be of benefit.  I have not explored this yet due to the difficulty and time in making a centrifuge.  I am in the process of making a very long (6 inch diameter x 8 foot long PVC pipe) kitty litter/fuller`s earth filter that ought to be way more effective than the 2 micron cat filter.  Too many irons on the fire and this project has been slow in getting finished.

I will of course share my design and findings with the list once done.

-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 12:42:32 AM »
It's funny how some people will say that used oil is nothing but trouble and other people have reported no issues at all. We all agree that you have to heat the motor oil up in order for this to work but why do some people have all kinds of issues and others are happy campers ....

Jens

I guess some people just don`t like camping.   :D
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 01:32:45 AM »
Moteling is just way too easy ....

Jens

Yeah, but just don`t get caught with pirated moteling software!   ;D  Yah know, like towels and stuff.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:48:03 AM by rcavictim »
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 02:04:46 AM »
I'd like to recommend mixing 1 oz of turpentine to every gallon of waste oil along with your kerosene.  The turpentine will add cetane which should give a more complete burn thus lowering coking.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 05:16:25 AM »
Sanchez
   I have the same questions as JMW. 
Did you startup/shutdown on the WMO? 
What kind of preheat did you use and what was the temp of fuel at the injector? 
What was the typical engine temp at the cylinder head(coolant outlet temp from the head)?

Thanks

Ron 
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

craig c

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 05:52:05 AM »
Hi ,
     Raise your compression ratio to at least 18/1 , 20/1 better more combustion temp the better it will burn fuel , that is why some people do not have so much carbon and some do, because they  have higher compression ratio than others , you have to physical check it to know what the compression ratio is .

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:56:13 AM »
I'd like to recommend mixing 1 oz of turpentine to every gallon of waste oil along with your kerosene.  The turpentine will add cetane which should give a more complete burn thus lowering coking.

I tried to submit this question half an hour ago but the list was slower than a siezed engine.  Do you have experience doing this?  Would even better results occur by adding higher concentrations of turpentine?  Is this anything like adding acetone?  Is turpentine OK on pump seals and rubber hoses?

I had a mishap trying acetone.  It gives otherwise attitude free heavy fuel oil a VAPOR PRESSURE!  This caused a two gallon spill on my shop floor from a poorly situated tank vent which never gave a problem with diesel or thick oils in the tank.  I suggest loose fuel tank caps if you try the acetone or any other additive that will give the fuel a vapor pressure.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 06:41:29 AM »
Propane might also help with the coking some people say ( also Agree with graig that compression ratio might be a factor since you may avctualy be lower than 17:1, did you check? ).

Another question are you sure the scratching was caused by stuck and scuffing rings not a little sand or grit from India?

And these are diesel not waste oil engines so its probably a case of need to do things like thin more, heat and perhaps increase the compression ratio a point of two....

Doug

Craig, I have a question for you. I know you have milled and modifed Petteroids to burn veg oil, have you ever considered a combustion chamber modification like machining the dish to be more like multy fuel M chamber?

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

craig c

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 07:18:05 AM »
Hi Doug ,
             Yes I looked at piston bowl shape like elsbett shows , but would have to get blank piston to start with or bowl would have to many cc's in it and be to low in compression ratio , I will be rasing compression ratio to 20/1 on my petteroid and on my friends 6/1 as egt are still not hot enough , getting 33 amps 230 volts 50 hz out of my 10 hp petteroid and runs sweet as , and  smooth as and only sits on the ground not bolted down just rubber foot mounts that came with gen set .

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 07:23:29 AM »
Can you post some clips?

I'm now into my 2nd generation intake and heater ( this one is flame ) and second generation thermostat housing ( this one is mounted between the intake and exhaust ).

I've made an injector line heater and fuel warmer from a glow plug along the lines you did

I'll email you pictures.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

johnny williams

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 12:49:16 PM »
Try mixing the WMO with RUG. I am running about 2/3 WMO to 1/3 RUG and works good for me. Your mileage may vary.

Johnny

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 05:02:47 PM »
Try mixing the WMO with RUG. I am running about 2/3 WMO to 1/3 RUG and works good for me. Your mileage may vary.

Johnny

If you get used motor oil mixed up with a RUG you will never be able to wash it out, or perhaps you are saying to put UMO in your hair instead of Brylcreem?  Ewwwwww..

Just an idea, how about either using acronyms that are commonly known, or go the extra effort and spell them in the interest of communications clarity.  Thank you.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 06:24:06 PM »
RUG:   Regular Unleaded Gasoline???  Never seen that one before.

Ron
PS 6/1 - ST-5.