Puppeteer

Author Topic: Container Shipping From England  (Read 7262 times)

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
Container Shipping From England
« on: October 12, 2007, 02:45:17 AM »
We will be filling another container in the very near future for shipment to the eastern US. We already have a fair number of engines coming but perhaps there will be room for more. If you are interested in getting anything shipped contact me off forum and we'll see how we can work out the details. Once the engines arrive in the US I get very reasonable shipping rates. For example, I can ship an engine anywhere in NC for $65. Engines going to CA will run around $300. Other states will vary accordingly. If we can fill a container we won't have to deal with the treated wood issues as the engines can be simply loaded into the container and we'll sort them out when they arrive. If this can be arranged it'll save us all a lot of money. Shipping will be at actual cost.

jtodd

• View Profile
Re: Container Shipping From England
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 07:30:38 PM »

Can  you give a general idea of what cost per pound (or cubic meter, or square meter) might run?  As an example, what would a 6/1 cost to deliver in the container (removing the costs of transport in North America once unloaded)?  I have my eye on some steam engine stuff...

Also: what is the shipping point in the UK?  Is there someone on-site who can ensure that these older, sometimes delicate pieces of iron won't be treated like scrap? 

JT

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 12:31:03 AM »
Heads up on your container.I have imported several LARGE rotary table surface grinders from the U.K. so I can speak with experience here.Quite often your container will be on-deck as opposed to in the hold and salt spray can wreak havoc on exposed iron or aluminum. I had an electrical panel almost useless due to corrosion and this despite tarping etc.Word to the wise-have your seller grease EVERYTHING metal prior to wrapping and crating.On something like a CS I would have seller make sure valves are in closed position and then fasten flywheels to stay that way.Way better to spend a weekend wiping grease off than paying the price for assuming your stuff is coming over in the wheelhouse.Hope this helps...  Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 12:48:49 AM »
If thats the case there are plenty of cheap rust inhibitors on the market.

Mike is no newbie, him and some of the experienced imports have done this enough.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 08:17:24 PM »
We'll probably have a spare 6/1 radiator cooled engine available, nothing special and it is probably stuck (through standing, not from being seized) but it is all there. Radiator needs some TLC.

Pictures available.

Peter

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »
I am interested.  What is a time frame to obtain an engine?  Which port would the container be leaving?  Do we know any contacts in England that could assist in looking at an engine prior to shipping or could look after loading the container?

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:08:07 PM »
I am interested.  What is a time frame to obtain an engine?  Which port would the container be leaving?  Do we know any contacts in England that could assist in looking at an engine prior to shipping or could look after loading the container?

Bob

Hopefully the container will be stuffed within reach of where we are located, UK postcode NN10 0JT. Without getting too bogged down with detail, you'd need to find an engine within range of us or anyone else that Mike is getting engines from to go in the container.

Peter

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 07:02:39 AM »
How the heck did I miss this one for almost two months? 

How goes the container program? 

When is the cutoff date? 

What city is near UK postcode NN10 0JT?

Cheers,

Low Gear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

listerdiesel

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 08:28:00 AM »
How the heck did I miss this one for almost two months? 

How goes the container program? 

When is the cutoff date? 

What city is near UK postcode NN10 0JT?

Cheers,

Low Gear

1) You were asleep?  :D
2) Haven't heard back from the guy organising the transport yet, so still open.
3) None at present.
4) City?  This is where I live!  That's enough isn't it??  ;D

NN10 is Rushden, Northamptonshire. Roughly midway between the M1 and A1 trunk roads. Largest towns are Northampton and Peterborough (east and west of us) and Bedford to the south.

We are on the A6 London to Carlisle trunk road.

Peter

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 08:56:40 PM »
Peter,

I guess I knodded off for another couple of weeks.  Any news Sir?

LG
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

listerdiesel

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »
Peter,

I guess I knodded off for another couple of weeks.  Any news Sir?

LG

Haven't heard back from Mike, he's probably busy with other things right now, but the engines will have to be moved at some point, at which time we can let everyone know.

Peter

listerdiesel

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
Just a bit of clarification re the container, as I have had a few messages off-list about it.

Firstly, we don't 'generally' have engines to sell. We have our own collection and a few 'stock' engines that we use for swaps etc., but we do not buy and sell, once we have them here, we tend to keep them.

The engines that are going to the USA were sold some four or five years ago, and the deal was a good one for both of us, the buyer got 5 engines including a 12/2, FR1, FR2, 3/1 and a complete SOM unit for what would now be seen as a bargain price.

The buyer had to arrange shipping himself, we would only get ready onto pallets and take to the docks, that was the total of our involvement in the shipping.

The changes to pallet spec's by the USA in fall 2006 meant that we had to change the pallets for steel stillages, but that has been done.

They are in secure storage under cover at present, so no harm will come to them, but it would be nice to get them moving.

As soon as we have details of the shipping arrangements, we can get the stillages out of storage and get them ready, but we cannot do that until we know that shipping has been sorted out.

Peter

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 02:08:25 AM »
Peter, I'll get in contact with the engine's owner and get started on getting these engines shipped. I get really busy from time to time. I just got in a shipment of engines from a collector in the western US. It includes an unusual  8 hp moffat-virtue diesel, and 2 gas fueled Listers, along with the original trucks, fuel tanks and other items. That one took a bit of doing as the collector was in remote Idaho and we had to make all kinds of shipping arrangements to get them moved to my shop.

This is something I'm doing as a favor for a friend. I still have a regular job running my machine shop. Once I know more about what is going into the container we'll see what else can fit in it. If we add additional engines they will end up in Rutherfordton, North Carolina. If anyone is interested I get a very good volume freight discount. For example, I can move a 2500 lb pallet anywhere in NC, SC, or Va for under $100!