Puppeteer

Author Topic: Another proud 5/1 owner  (Read 3263 times)

solarflare

• View Profile
Another proud 5/1 owner
« on: September 20, 2007, 10:23:15 PM »
 Hi all,

After about a year of intense reading, searches, you tubes and anything else i can get to satisfy my quest for "input" i finally picked up an original 5/1 6hp dated @ 1952.

on first looks it appeared to be in fairly good condition until i started to, hate to say, lovingly taking her apart. needless to say she has been worked really hard and neglected probably by the local yocal who at that time may not of been able to read or wright but good with a BIG HAMMER!

So far i have stipped off the;

1. head and all assoc parts
    Valves shot, guides worn, valve keepers only holding one spring (large on intake, small on exhaust) i think there should be a pair of springs on each valve. Cylinder not marked as with the piston (stroke of luck). Injector looks in good condition but will know more when i test it. Oh yea , it looks like one of the push rods failed to spin while running causing the tappet adjustment srcew to ware to a nice fine needle point.

2. Taken the crank bearing housing off to find one bearing completely shout to bits.

So far all good, as i haven't found any cracks on any part of the body yet, all the bit found wrong i can easily get replacements for.

At the monent i have everything soaking in degreaser to try and loosen off years of burnt oil! Sorry forgot to mention the sump half filled with water and the other oil. Just wondering if they ran it like this.

Will try and post pics when i can.

Thanks to all who has contributed to this forum, great source of information and a few laughs. :D

UK based.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 11:39:42 AM by solarflare »

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Another proud new owner
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 09:26:45 AM »
Welcome.Congrats on the engine,sounds like you have a bit of work on your hands.At least you are in the right country for parts !!  Paul, Canada.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

Florida Cracker

• View Profile
Re: Another proud new owner
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:42:01 PM »
Congratulations. They are a joy to work on.  I still plan on getting a 6/1 water cooled just to hear it spit-n-sputter. Your in the right place to find them...here in the States, originals are hard to find. I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Don

solarflare

• View Profile
Re: Another proud new owner 5/1
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »
Thanks for the words of encoragement!

It look like it will be a long project, but that the best bit!

Once i do manage to find the time to work on it i'm planning to run it on waste oil to generate power and heat.

I know that at best i can only get 3kw output so therefore in the winter i hope to run a 2kw electric boiler similar to, http://www.bhl.co.uk/product/TRIANCO_AZTEC_TRI2_ELECTRIC_BOILER_2KW

and in the summer use the power to get off the grid. In doing so will help me reduce my dependance on heating oil i currently use.

Have not quite got my head arround it all but i have all time time (NO PATIENCE!  ::) But with a little help from you guys i'm sure it will work  ::)