Puppeteer

Author Topic: Alternative use for a Lister CS 5/1  (Read 11674 times)

womble

• View Profile
Alternative use for a Lister CS 5/1
« on: February 10, 2006, 02:25:18 PM »
Hi, I've just  come across you forum.

I have a Lister CS 5/1 in a Ruston road roller that I use to roll our cricket square with in Cambridge, UK.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cherryhinton456/

Although it runs and starts first time, it has a tendancy to gain speed. Any ideas why this would be?

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Alternative use for a Lister CS 5/1
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »
prolly a lot to do with what appears to be a total lack of maintenance, see "run away" thread in general topics forum.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

kyradawg

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 04:37:49 AM »

Peace&love :D, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:41:10 PM by kyradawg »

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 03:33:19 PM »
Womble---

Very interesting machine!

How is it driven?  I see no belts, pulleys' gears or linkages.  I notice a WIDE flywheel...is that because there's just one of them?

Is it the engine that speeds up or the machine?  Does it run at more than rated RPM?  Is it governed or does it have a throttle?

How is it cranked?
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

GerryH

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 09:45:26 PM »
Looks like a regular work engine to me. Lister SOM owners in England have contacted Utterpower about the famous useless governor. The common problem he says is the little swivel yoke right at the Injection pump rack. It tends to bind, and if worn, you may have to bush the bellcrank or find a replacement yoke depending on what is most worn. If it is binding it will jam open and not want to return to normal position after a load is removed.
check this site-- it covers this

http://www.utterpower.com/problems.htm

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 10:06:13 PM »
"Regular work engine"??  What's that??  I'm thinking there's a bunch of variations, alterations and models that *I* haven't seen yet.  (Hurry up, book)  This is one of them.

I don't see a governor hooked up on this machine. I see a hard link running through a 'firewall'(?) or into another compartment, but I don't see it coming out of the 'dash board'.  It could just be a hidden spring, I guess, but why?

I've not seen a Lister 5-1 with only one flywheel, either.  Is it the same size as one side of an SOM?  It looks wider and I can't see how thick the hub is.  I'm just wondering if they hung a 400 pound flywheel on one end of the crank.   :o

I'd like to know what means was used to turn the rotation of the crankshaft into the axle, too.  The handle on the left would indicate a slackbelt of some kind.

I REALLY want to know how it's cranked.

I've never really wanted to own a Cricket roller before.   >:( ;D

I always used them for fish bait!! ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 01:16:40 AM by hotater »
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 12:14:05 AM »
Hotater,
You'd have the only cricket square roller in a hundred miles ...you could charge a fortune...no competition…better yet… rather than pushing the snow out of the way… roll it all flat…..

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

GerryH

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 12:53:59 AM »
Hotater,
Your eyes must be sharper then mine. I couldn't see the details in those pics. The rod is where you noted.  It is a Lister, but maybe a special order for the company making the roller. You are probably right. A lister variant--their own GM-90.
 As far as noting it's a work engine, just because the paint ain't pretty, doesn't warrant the comment that its poorly maintained. It would be nice to see more info on it. I wonder if there is a serial #. I wonder if they wrap a belt or rope around the flywheel to start it?
I also think it would be a great addition to your fleet. A cannon mounted forward,  if you met a pickup while driving it, it could be described as a slow speed accident.

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 07:04:25 PM »
Guys,

Womble contacted me a few weeks back about his cricket pitch roller.

I look up the serial number and the engine was built between 1933 and 1935 !

Yes there is only one flywheel, and the number on the spec. plate is different, possibly referring to this single flywheel build with manual throttle linkage.   

Lister also supplied engines to an air compressor manufacturer with only one flywheel, and the compressor was direct drive in place of the other flywheel.

The engine is clearly mounted amidships between the rollers, and the shaft runs to the rear where it goes into a gear box to drive the rear roller.  Wonble says that the staft extends out of the gear box, and there is a starting handle on the rear transom.

I would love to have a vehicle powered by a 6/1.  I have thought about making a Lister electric hybrid using an old British milkfloat from the 1960s (heck - it would be newer than the engine by 20 years).

Ken

womble

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 03:38:28 PM »
Guys,

I'll try and answer a few of your questions.

After eventually meeting a guy local to me who came and had a look at the engine we have decided that the governing problem is probably due to the fact that the foot pedal throttle is directly connected to the bottom of the governor rack linkage (the L shaped piece) thus there is no spring and hook as would be present on standard CS governors.

Currently the rod connected to the governor linkage is sprung but doesn't allow the linkage to move when the governor wants to reduce the power.

We intend to restore the standard CS governor spring and hook and check the engine runs ok. After that we'll see how the foot pedal should enter the equation.

There is only one fly wheel. The other end of the crank goes straight into a gearbox that gives you forward and reverse and two for speed gears.

The engine is cranked through the rear of the gear box.

Originally there would have been a belt on the flywheel that would have driven a fan mounted behind the original radiator.

Any more questions???

I'm after a few parts if anyone has any going spare:

Fuel pump pawl, check plate, pin, pulcrum pin, check plate nut.
Rocker greaser end cap.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 04:35:30 PM »
Womble--

Thanks very much for the explainations. 

Please re-think your throttle/governor analysis.

I believe you have a "Throttle" and not a "Governor".  The foot pedal should have a return spring that closes the rack to 'idle' speed and probably some type of over-rev stop made from the governor weights so it can't go over a certain speed.

I'd bet with one small but heavy flywheel the RPMs are higher than a standard 5-1....but still less than 1100 or so.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 05:10:54 PM »
Womble,

Perhaps you should set the throttle similar to a go-cart. To do this you would use a standard governor setup but instead of a fixed mounting for the spring use a lever attached to the throttle petal. Hold the petal to the floor and adjust for max speed. Then set a stop on the rack for idle. Move the stop out of the way when closing the fuel pump paul.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

womble

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 06:19:48 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for your suggestion. We had also considered that and its going to take abit of tinkering to get it to work properly.

I'll keep you all posted.

I've a frost crack to fill up first, looks like the guy before me liked to use gasket glue on everything!! Plus some sludge to disperse in the sump.