Puppeteer

Author Topic: Black diesel dripping from exhaust outlet  (Read 12368 times)

greasemonkey

• View Profile
Black diesel dripping from exhaust outlet
« on: September 08, 2007, 12:23:46 PM »
Hi Can anyone tell me why my 3.5 drips oil from the exhaust outlet, drips every 12 seconds and very black - thanks

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Black diesel dripping from exhaust outlet
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:32:58 PM »
greasemonkey,

No, can only make some suggestions.  Here are just a few.

Fuel not burning properly - too much, not atomised correctly, wrong fuel, engine too cool, insufficient compression, not enough load, wrong injector 'pop' pressure, leaky nozzle, spill return blocked, injection timing wrong......

Engine oil - too little load, rings not seating, oil control ring not working, over oiled, oil from valve lubrication going through guide, broken compression ring/s, stuck rings, engine not hot enough.......

Question : Is it all oil or just 'oily'? - may be water from too cool exhaust mixed with oil and fuel and exhaust particulates.

Question : Is engine overloaded and over-cooled? - could be excessive fuel poorly atomised and not burning correctly.

Tell us a tad more of operating conditions, engine condition, etc and someone may be able to make a reasonably good diagnosis knowing a few, at least, of the signs and symptoms. 

An analogy would be a bit like ringing your doctor and saying 'My nose is dripping every 12 seconds'.  The first things he would want to know is who you are and whether you have a bleeding nose or a secretion. If a secretion he might ask if you had a cold... and/or so on....  So far we have only got as far as the inital line so we need some more info....please :)

Regards, RAB

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 04:07:13 PM »
What you describe sounds like what has been described as "Slobber".  If every thing is working right, it is the result of running the engine with too light a load or the oil level in the sump is excessive. Diesels are at their best when running near full load. If something is not right, could be any one of the other items Oliver90Owner mentioned.

What engine are we talking about and what kind of a load do you have on it.

Ron
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 01:39:53 AM »
excellent coverage oliver. slober it sounds like ronmar. greasemonkey is this a new or freshly rebuilt? if the fuel and compression check out run it hard and hot. both within limits of course but the upper end of those limits is better .  have heard of a snort of ajax to seat really stuborn rings but have not tryed this and woulndnt unless last resort.

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:49:11 AM »
Oil level?
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 10:30:45 PM »
I've heard of using Bon Ami to seat the rings many times, but never Ajax. Where did you hear that? My IH Scout comes from the factory with chrome rings and Bon Ami was SOP for seating rings.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 03:51:14 AM »
sorry for the wrong name (product)  i worked with a person that had many stories about rebuilds and one of them was rings not seating. i have confirmed with this person that bon ami was what he used.   i am sorry for the wrong 411 as i stated i have not tryed this myself and only would do untill last resort.  but now that i have been corrected i think ill stick with bon ami if i ever have two.
TOM  misleading is not on my list and wont be

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 03:56:01 AM »
i forgot to add thank you tom for your advise .

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 04:55:27 AM »
Your welcome.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 06:34:43 AM »
Bon Ami,

Thats french for good friend, odd eh?

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 07:15:56 AM »
a properly honed cylinder does not need bon ami or and other crap dumped down the intake!

that bon ami story goes way back, and i suspect it was some dumb ass that tried it and it help a horribly glazed cylinder, but i doubt it.

so for the love of all that is mechanical, put nothing in the cylinder but clean air and properly injected fuel.

if an engine is glazed up and the rings are not seating,, take it apart and do it right,, rehone and replace the rings.

if anyone insists on using sand (bon ami) all you will do is prematurely wear out parts and it will become trapped in the ring lands and continue to wear
for a very long time.

bon ami was never a standard operating procedure with any engine that i am aware of, chrome rings or not.

the proper way to break in any of these engines is to hone properly, clean till a white paper towel with motor oil comes out without any gray color, fit the rings properly
put it together, start it and get it up to temp and under load asap,, no extended idle times,, if you cannot get it under  at least 50% load within the first few minutes of startup,, don't start it!

get it warmed  up, up to operating rpm and under load, this is the minimum that should be done.

stories about bon ami, edta , and over unity are like finger nails on a black board to me.

as a fellow mechanic used to say "it makes me feel like i have athletes feet on my tounge"

:)

the moral to this tirade (or is it tyrade?) is,, cleanliness is truely next to godliness when it comes to engines.
if you want to test the theory of useing bon ami or ajax or whatever:
take a piece of glass and lay it down on a bench,, then dip your index finger in a drop of motor oil
sprinkle some of your ajax or bon ami on the drop of oil
and then rub in a small quarter size spot on the glass for about 60 seconds
then clean the glass,,, you will see the glass is now dull and milky looking from being worn and abraided

then consider that their is not one single part in your engine that approaches the hardness of glass, and that it will be running for much longer than 60 seconds!

when it comes to cleaning the cylinder bore,, i have written on this before and will do it again for the newcomers here.

cleaning with solvent such as carb cleaner or brake cleaner does nothing to remove the fine abrasives,, all it removes is the oil
so after you use your favorite solvent use hot soapy water and thoroughly scour out the bore and if it is a sleeve inside and out.
rinse it and dry it well, then using either a clean white linen not a terrycloth towel which leave lint, or a white paper towel
oil the bore well and wipe with the white towel, keep oiling and wiping until a clean towel comes out with not other color but the honey color of the oil
i like atf because it will come out bright red when it is truely clean. then and only then is it suitable for use.

the pistons should be done the same, inside and out, and also the rings.

any grit will find its way into the ringlands and work to lap the cylinder and cause premature wear or damage.

if you follow these guidelines your engine will break in quickly and will live alot longer, i have seen twice to three times the lifespan.

btw,, be sure to clean your ring compressor as well, even if it is a new one right out of the blister pack.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 10:27:13 PM »
Words of wisdom Bob.

Thumbs up!

gpkull

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 02:35:53 AM »
bob i agree with all you stated and expecially with the soapy water. i was not trying to state the cure only passing 411. as i stated i never did and would only if nothing else worked. there are too many variables as to why any internal combustion engine would do so just so happens as any other you dont always get the whole story. as a truck mechanic you know watt i mean and at the same time no insult to grease monkey

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 03:35:12 AM »
      snippage

the moral to this tirade (or is it tyrade?) is,, cleanliness is truely next to godliness when it comes to engines.

when it comes to cleaning the cylinder bore,, i have written on this before and will do it again for the newcomers here.

cleaning with solvent such as carb cleaner or brake cleaner does nothing to remove the fine abrasives,, all it removes is the oil
so after you use your favorite solvent use hot soapy water and thoroughly scour out the bore and if it is a sleeve inside and out.

snippage

rinse it and dry it well,        snippage

the pistons should be done the same, inside and out, and also the rings.

Uh, any thought of running the parts thru a domestic dishwasher, with either just a little Dawn to cut the oil, or conventional, alkaline autodish soap ?     catch it at the end of the rinse, and hand dry, to keep from getting rusty?

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 04:09:17 AM »
I used a presure washer on my block, as well as SOS pads, thinners and solvents ( even acid to descale ).

I also wiped everything down with oil and low and behold as Bob said I still got a little grey stuff now and then on an oily rag...