Author Topic: Proud new owner  (Read 7534 times)

Florida Cracker

• View Profile
Proud new owner
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:57:28 PM »
Greetings!  I am a proud new owner of 2 ST1's that I acquired a few days ago. They both have generators hooked to them on skids, one belt driven and the other direct.  One says Lister and the other says Lister Durley England.  One has a ID plate with 05383ST1A29-27. I don't know what HP this is and hope someone will be able to help me. These are air-cooled engines and are complete although they have been sitting for years and need to be freed-up. I have been wanting to get one of the water-cooled 12-2's for quite some time and happened to run across these.  Plus the price was reasonable. Any info one acquiring a service manual would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Don

gpkull

• View Profile
Re: Proud new owner
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:49:17 PM »
comeon with it cracker where in the state are you? daytona is where i try to stay. if nothing else would like to take a peek at some air cooled listers as all i have are water cooled roids

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 02:04:28 AM »
It's a wonderful day when you get a big package and when you open it you're still as happy as when it arrived.  Lucky Guy.

So will you share:

1.)  Pictures.

2.)  Costs of getting it here.

3.)  Names of the folks that helped you make it possible - Broker - Shipping Agent.

4.)  A slightly longer narrative...

Best Wishes

Low Gear
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Florida Cracker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:12:04 PM »
I will take some pics and post them. They are not very pretty at the moment. I happened to tell the right person I was looking for a Lister engine and he said he new someone who had 2, but didn't know what model they were. A couple months went by and he got back with me and said I could come get them for $200. They were only an hour drive from me.  These both have the original generators and frames.  Also given to me in the deal was an Onan 2 cylinder diesel and a faily new 10kw generator head...all for 200 bucks.  All 3 engines are siezed and need to be rebuilt.  The Onan is an 1800 rpm machine and might be worth the effort of rebuilding but the Listers are definitely going to be.  During the hurricanes, Charlie and Wilma, we were out of power for quite some time. I have a Miller weld-n-power with a 16 hp gas Briggs and talk about a gas sucker...whew. Plus trying to get gas before and after a hurricane is a real pain. Diesel, you can get fairly easy because there isn't 50 cars in line at the pumps, if you can find a station that still has any gas. I decided next time I would have a diesel generator and a large tank. The Listers are bullet-proof and it would be hard for someone to unbolt it and tote it off.  One generator is 4k and the other has no plate. I will try to get more info on it...should be about the same kw. The idea of starting one up and being able to leave it running for a week is great. Plus with 2, I can play around with WVO on one of them.

Don

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 02:27:27 PM »
Onans are alway worth rebuilding and they keep their value because they were a premuim brand.

I'd like to get my hands on  DJ series diesel.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Florida Cracker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 03:00:15 PM »
I would like to get ahold of some manuals and parts illustrations. The man I got them from said he has them and will send them to me...when and if that ever happens.  I want to get started on them as soon as possible. If anyone has any photo copies to share I would be a happy camper.  I ventured to another members website and was happy to see that parts are easily obtained.  I would also like to know how to decipher the serial number. I belive these engines were powering a small camp/villiage on one of our outer barrier islands during the sixties/seventies. 

Don

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 04:57:38 PM »
I have manuals for the Onans, I just can't find them....

Check over at Smokestak they may be able to help....

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:00:05 PM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

listerdiesel

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:41:23 PM »
One has a ID plate with 05383ST1A29-27
Don

It is an ST1 engine.

Peter

Florida Cracker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 01:26:50 PM »
One of my relatives was over during the holidays and seen my 2 ST1's and to my surprise, asked me if I wanted 2 more!!! Turns out he has had 2 sitting in his barn for a few years that were used on shrimp boats for battery charging. I went over a couple days later and took a look at them and both are in great shape and turn freely...one still has original fuel tank. I will get them in a couple days and will have 4 of them to tinker with. I still want to get a 12/2 water cooled to run a 10kw head I have. I have also considered connecting 2 ST1's to it with belts and see how it works out. I have yet to hear one run...maybe soon :)
Don

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »
I have also considered connecting 2 ST1's to it with belts and see how it works out.

Until you get a good engine synchronizer, one will ALWAYS hog the load, and the other will loaf along.

Fairly important in twin engine boats and airplanes, and needed if shafts will be connected - don't count on a belt to provide the loose coupling, it will burn out soon.
http://www.diy-boat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=142&Itemid=49

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »
Try this site for parts and info.

http://www.diesel-electric.us/

Stan

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 02:46:03 AM »
My American Eagle ultralight (circa 1980) has two 10 hp engines with what looks like snowmobile clutches turning a single cogged drive wheel and then the prop (pusher)  Works very well!  Weighs 155 lbs wet, and will fly my 200 lbs quite nimbly.  Take off is about 150 feet, 18 mph.
Stan

Florida Cracker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 01:34:17 PM »
Thanks Stan...that sounds encouraging. Another benefit with the belt idea is I only need one engine to carry smaller loads and crank the 2nd when A/C or water hearting is needed. I will need to make a lever operated belt tensioner setup to engage the 2nd engine when needed like whats used on a lawn mower when you engage the blades. I plan to build a generator shed to house the setup soon. I would be interested in seeing some pictures of your setups for ideas. Thanks
Don

Stan

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 04:39:43 PM »
No problem, you'll have to wait till I get home some time late next week.
sTan