Puppeteer

Author Topic: KOEL TA1  (Read 6110 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
KOEL TA1
« on: August 25, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Here is the first KOEL Petteroid engine I know of here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180149370884

This is an AVA1 Petter, more or less.

Price is amazing considering you get two engines one runner and a damaged/dropped one for parts.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

adhall

• View Profile
Re: KOEL TA1
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
Doug,

And it's only a short drive from my house....

I almost wish you hadn't pointed this one out. ;D

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 05:41:26 PM »
KOEL is top of the line Andrew.

I tried to get one, its too far from me......

Is it exactly the same as the AVA1? Not sure but the specs lead me to think so.

Doug

listerdiesel

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 05:51:25 PM »
Don't forget there were other engines that Petter made such as the PH series, PJ and so on.

I must get the AVB out of the farm and start getting it running sometime, been so busy with the factory move, USA visit and the new van coming  that I haven't had time to do much on the engine side this year.

Peter

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:38:16 PM »
KOEL built the AV1 series II under licenes, in fact they still build it and still call it the AV1.
The air cooled is a different matter, they don't call it an AVA1 and this one seems to have an SAE bell housing ( or Brittish era equiv ).

Maybe Peter can clear this up, did Petter make an PH1 with bell housing around the fly wheel like later engines such as the ASJW and PHJW but in an air cooled?

More confusing the AV1 has a 80mm bore does, the TA1 has a 87.5 mm bore. Both share the same crank...
So I guess this is technicaly closer the the PH1

Doug

Note most of my information was collected from Peter's webpages where he was kind enough to post all his Petter data for us a while ago.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Technical/Techdata.htm

The KOEL info was from their website.
http://kirloskarapps.kirloskar.com/kirloskar/web/13$5002.html

http://kirloskarapps.kirloskar.com/kirloskar/web/13$5002.html

listerdiesel

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 04:55:04 PM »
KOEL built the AV1 series II under licenes, in fact they still build it and still call it the AV1.
The air cooled is a different matter, they don't call it an AVA1 and this one seems to have an SAE bell housing ( or Brittish era equiv ).

Maybe Peter can clear this up, did Petter make an PH1 with bell housing around the fly wheel like later engines such as the ASJW and PHJW but in an air cooled?

More confusing the AV1 has a 80mm bore does, the TA1 has a 87.5 mm bore. Both share the same crank...
So I guess this is technicaly closer the the PH1

Doug

After Hawker-Siddeley took over Petters, and before the merger with R A Lister, there was a big push by Hawker-Siddeley to get industrialised engine output up from what Petters were doing.

SAE bellhousings WERE available for most engines, and those that had them went to generator builders.

The SAE standards were adopted over here way back when.

The KOEL AV1 shows a different, Deutz-like air cooling arrangement, which may or may not be better, but it certainly uses more resources to put together and uses wearing parts like belts and bearings. None of the UK engines had anything like that.

Peter

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »
Thank You Peter....

I have wondered about the Indian air cooling myself
Maybe they thought it would be better suited for the tropics.

Kohler made the same modification in the 70's to many of their 2 stroke engines. All had the AX suffex added to engine type.  Some like the 440 AX, early versions of the 440 would actualy diesel in the summer on machines like the Tera Jet. The factory recommended owners choke the engines to a stop would you believe....

Anyhow to make along story short the axcel fan cooled engines were n improvemnt inspite of the extra parts.
There is also the possibility the pump up Indian engines don't cool well, One fellow who posted here from Iraq roasted his Petteroid generator set by running it in a concrete shack.....