Puppeteer

Author Topic: Pics Of My "New" 63? 6/1  (Read 7531 times)

Geno

• View Profile
Pics Of My "New" 63? 6/1
« on: August 08, 2007, 04:36:39 PM »

Its filthy. Its got some issues. The price was OK. But its mine.
Its mostly apart. One Gib key had the head broken off and the taper pin on the cam collar is smushed which is holding me up a bit. It felt pretty tight when I looked at it and even made some smoke. I think somebody botched a rebuild and shut it down shortly there after. The upper shell has some flaking, there were no cam cover or cylinder base gaskets, just red silicone. I got to borrow some precision tools. It looks like the crank pin is turned .020" under. The cylinder cross hatch is gone but the top ring had .020" end gap throughout the cylinder. The intake valve is worn but a new Indian one fits well. No slop to speak of in the cam bearings. Gears look OK. Its going to be a big job and I'm not sure if I spent my money wisely, but its an original with SOM flywheels.

http://www.genedevera.com/temp/som/

Thanks, Geno

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: Pics Of My "New" 63? 6/1
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 05:39:29 PM »
Congratulations Geno, time to break out the cigars eh?

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 08:06:36 PM »

Geno,

Congrats, I dont know what you spent but its worth every bit of it. My crankcase looked like yours, I cleaned it with biodiesel and it came out very clean. Regular diesel didnt work as well. Good luck.

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:22:42 PM »
Thanks Guys

Congratulations Geno, time to break out the cigars eh?
On first smoke, and the Jamesons too.

Rick, I have a few gallons of b100 right here.

I want to get the crank out before I fully clean and powerwash things. The good gib key came out easily with Mike M's T-Rex Tooth Puller. It had a piece of hose clamp as a shim :o  It looks like I'll have to drill the other one. I put a hardened pin in it, welded a little buttress behind it and the pin sheared/snapped off after deforming the hole I drilled in the key.

Thanks, Geno

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 08:08:51 AM »
Holy Flywheels Geno,

What does this thing weigh?

I showed the photos to my bride and she wanted to know what century it was from.  I told her it was from Britian, that it was beautiful and that I dream of having one of my very own almost daily.  "Not in my kitchen you don't!"  That's an OK, right?

Please keep us posted on your adventure.

Cheers,

LG

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 11:28:59 AM »
Good find!  I just wanted to say that I had a broken Gib key once and I was able to weld the key I removed from the other side to the broken.  I put a nice bevel on the edge of each key and piled some weld in there.  I then attatched my Gib key puller to the good key and with a little heat from a heat gun, out it came.  You may want to try this if you have enough of the broken key showing to work with.  Good luck.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 10:05:05 PM »
MeanListerGreen, Thats a good idea. there is actually a lot of the key showing and I can weld on a good sized piece. Now I just need to learn how to weld. I don't have that much experience.

Thanks, Geno

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 11:36:22 PM »
Geno your engine is a 1953 5-1 engine rated at 6hp 650rpm
engine no      6102
engine type   5-1
year             1953

Mick

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 10:40:20 PM »
Thank you. I had copied a similar sn breakdown from you but didn't print it out before looking at the engine. Oh well.

Geno

Geno

• View Profile
Gib Keys Out, No Drilling :)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 10:08:30 PM »
I welded a key head on the old key as suggested and it snapped at the welds. (probably poor welds) I practiced with the welder a little more and tried again, this time with a hardened pin through both the "new" welded on piece and the broken key. Out it came after cleaning and lubing the crap out of everything. I'm very happy I didn't have to drill.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanks, Geno
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:13:58 PM by Geno »

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 10:40:49 PM »
I forgot to add that the weld should be a vertical up weld and I use 7018 rod.  Vertical up is a much stronger weld.  I just turned the flywheel to get the two keys in a position to weld up.  Glad you got them out anyway.  Congrats.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 03:27:54 AM »
Zig ( http://www.freewebz.com/babbittpot/index.html) has the bearings and after a quick inspection he thinks the crank will be OK with a little dressing up. It’s going to take at least 6 weeks for him to get to it. Do the Indians make .020” smaller diameter bearings? Original ones would be hard to find and Zig has poured hundreds if not thousands.

The SOM flywheels are on the PS 6/1 and the difference in the engines personality is huge. First of all the SOM flywheels are 25” so the engine is only turning around 614 RPM. http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html The weight of the flywheels brings the engine through the compression/power transition very smoothly. I had to buy a new belt anyway so I got an 8 rib one. The overall vibration is down and there seems to be less gear clatter. The SOM flywheels must have deeper keyways than the other ones. The (Indian) gib keys slid in to the hilt and were just snug there so I shimmed them temporarily and used collars to prevent anything to bad from happening. The key that came out of the original is the same length and width as the Indian ones. The taper looks to be right by eye. It had shims too. Permanent ones.

Light flicker seems to be gone but I only checked it out for a few minutes under a 2300 watt load.

http://www.genedevera.com/temp/IMG_0389.jpg

Thanks, Geno
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 03:30:55 AM by Geno »