Puppeteer

Author Topic: WVO blended with Diesel...in the same tank  (Read 4869 times)

dkmc

• View Profile
WVO blended with Diesel...in the same tank
« on: July 29, 2007, 11:56:10 PM »

I've read thru the posts here, but I'm not sure I've seen a specific answer to this question.
Rather than have a separate heated  WVO tank, is it possible to just filter it and blend it with low sulfur on-road diesel to run in a VW diesel?  What ratio is possible with no issues as far as thickening in the lines? I can get 5 to 10 gallons of WVO per month, and would rather just add a bit at a time
to the regular fuel tank......if possible.

thanks

dk 
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

villageidjit

• View Profile
Re: WVO blended with Diesel...in the same tank
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 03:56:40 PM »
I've read thru the posts here, but I'm not sure I've seen a specific answer to this question.
Rather than have a separate heated  WVO tank, is it possible to just filter it and blend it with low sulfur on-road diesel to run in a VW diesel?  What ratio is possible with no issues as far as thickening in the lines? I can get 5 to 10 gallons of WVO per month, and would rather just add a bit at a time
to the regular fuel tank......if possible.
thanks
dk 

dk,

Field tests done by U. of Idaho using most major diesel engine brands showed definite coking problems at vegetable oil usage of 20% and above.  Lower veg oil percentages seemed not to cause problems.  I have read many private persons recommending up to 35% veg oil as not problem causing, but I seriously doubt most any claims over 20% (unheated) being safe.

Adequate filtering and de-watering should be considered an important requirement, in my opinion (as in many other's opinions).

Vic
Somewhere in the Ozark Mountains, the Village Idiot is missing!

cold comfort farm

• View Profile
Re: WVO blended with Diesel...in the same tank
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 09:15:56 AM »
In answer to your question, I run a Kia Sportage and have blended up to 25% filtered wvo in the same tank as my derv. I have not seen any changes to the performance mpg etc and have done over 15k now using this method (20% blended as a min). I live in the sunny UK.

I settle my wvo for a few weeks (if its summer, longer if its winter) and pour the top portion clear wvo through a pillow case inside a 20micron filter which is inside a 1 micron filter. I do not de water as that’s what the cav filters do in the car, just change them a little more often I do them about every 5k and they only cost a few pounds.

Try it at 10% get confidant then add a little more. If you ask 100 people you will get 100 variations I am afraid but 20 25% is safe.  I have run 40% for 2 tank fulls when we had warm weather but would not do it any other time.  Bosch injector pumps tend to like wvo better than Lucas or other ones.

I hope this helps.

Stephen