Author Topic: Blending WVO & Diesel  (Read 8437 times)

captfred

Blending WVO & Diesel
« on: June 30, 2007, 08:29:55 AM »
Just picked up a 1986 BMW 524TD and want to experiment with blended WVO and diesel (probably with a little acetone in it just for fun ;D ) With daily highs around 86 and lows around 76 I think I'll be able to get by with a single tank just by heating the fuel injector lines; hopefully 75/25 mix.

I'd like to maybe do something similar with the listeroid.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. (car, roid or both).

Cheers Fred

villageidjit

• View Profile
Re: Blending WVO & Diesel
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 02:20:57 AM »
Just picked up a 1986 BMW 524TD and want to experiment with blended WVO and diesel (probably with a little acetone in it just for fun ;D ) With daily highs around 86 and lows around 76 I think I'll be able to get by with a single tank just by heating the fuel injector lines; hopefully 75/25 mix.
I'd like to maybe do something similar with the listeroid.  Any thoughts would be appreciated. (car, roid or both).
Cheers Fred

Fred,

Everything I have read points to a WVO temperature of around 170F.  I assume you are suggesting a 75%WVO/25%dino?  University of Idaho testing has concluded that vegetable oil blended at rates above 20% causes major coking problems.  I have read of very good results using small amounts of Regular Unleaded Gas (RUG) as a blending agent.  I assume that even "stale" RUG would accomplish the same thing.  I will try to dig up a link  for you.

Vic
Somewhere in the Ozark Mountains, the Village Idiot is missing!

captfred

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 03:17:18 AM »
Thanks Vic,

Bought the car to experiment with (was a lot cheaper than the listeroid) but to don't want go throught the expense of a major overhaul either.

Will  some research on RUG and see what comes up.

In the meantime, any information is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Fred

villageidjit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 03:47:30 AM »
Thanks Vic,
Will  some research on RUG and see what comes up.
In the meantime, any information is, as always, greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Fred

Fred,

I haven't found the link I was looking for but did find another that you might be interested in.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9751014871/m/5101050991

Probably no difference (in thinning ability) between fresh RUG and "stale" RUG.

Vic

villageidjit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 07:05:28 AM »
Fred,

The link I was actually thinking of was the thread here by "SODBUST".  I left a "bump" message there in the Alternative fuels - Straight Vegetable Oil.

Someone in the infopop forums seems to have found a substantial supply of "stale RUG", and someone else found quite a bit from boat-yards.

Vic

captfred

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:58:01 AM »
Thanks again Vic

The link is a great start (saw one member using 85wvo/15kero single tank in a mercedes), will do some lurking and maybe a few posts over there and check out the alternative fuels thread in svo.

Heading to the Seattle area in a coupla weeks -will pick up parts for the conversion - line heaters and a fuel transfer solenoid valve etc - some for the BMW, others for the Listeroid. If the single tank don't work as I hope,  will go two tank.

Cheers, Fred

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:57:56 AM »
I worked in the fuel buisness for a while. Spring and early summer usualy a lot of waste fuel recovered from before mentioned places. Services stations with water problems ect. I recall I could pull about 100 gallons of water and fuel from place like air ports, tank farms ect.....

It all has to be properly disposed of and usualy sits in a waste fuel tank some place. We used to filter and blend some of it our own use, but stale gas is still bad gas. Av Kerosene ended up filtered and in the trucks.

Trouble with waste fuels they tend to be shipped in drums that weren't clean, poured into holdings tanks that aren't clean and even if you filter it what you get is mystery fuel containing oil, solvents in some cases and possibly still some water.

Doug 
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

villageidjit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 03:51:56 PM »
It all has to be properly disposed of and usualy sits in a waste fuel tank some place. We used to filter and blend some of it our own use, but stale gas is still bad gas. Av Kerosene ended up filtered and in the trucks.
Trouble with waste fuels they tend to be shipped in drums that weren't clean, poured into holdings tanks that aren't clean and even if you filter it what you get is mystery fuel containing oil, solvents in some cases and possibly still some water.
Doug 

Yes Doug,

You make a very good point.  The one point I disagree with is the line  "stale gas is still bad gas".  I contend that if you are confident the stale gas does not contain other substances/chemicals/contaminents, I believe it would be good for usage as a fuel oil blending agent (not as a fuel for a gasoline engine).

The water will settle out of stale gas unless a contaminent that absorbs water is present, and in my opinion, water that is fully suspended is not necessarily a bad thing.

Vic

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 12:49:08 AM »
Stale gas the kind we are talking about has been exposed to air and water who knows what else so It reasonable to believe that some chemistry has been going on. I'm not expert but generaly the smells and colour of the waste lead me to decide no amount of filtering would make it acceptable to use in a gas engine. I don't know what effect this might have used to dilutant but I would but concerned about what it might do as far as cloging and deposits go.

Water as I understand even in small amounts is bad for diesel pumps....

I recall a few years back some OLCO stations in southern Ontario own by some shady types were nailed for selling fuel with solvents and waste oils mixed in. Some truckers and car owner had engine damage.

Without knowing exactly what was in the waste fuel and where it came from I would be a little concerned. I also worry about other things. 

Sad truth is a lot of realy nastey stuff ends up in " waste " and some people have been known to blend hot loads of waste with cleaner stock to make leagal disposal easier if they can bring it down. There are also cases of blending being done purely to " disapear " problem loads.
I've been a party to this, and I'm not proud of it.

Doug

However if you have a line on some good clean stuff that you know hasn't been mixed stepped on go for it!

Air ports and marinas are the best places to get waste fuel from. Generaly its the cleanest to begin with.
watery gas off the bottom of local gas station tank in the spring is also probably good.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken