Puppeteer

Author Topic: belt tensioner a good way?  (Read 14338 times)

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
Re: belt tensioner a good way?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 03:57:14 PM »
I build these bases with this tensioner system because it is so easy to use. The tensioner is clamped with two 3/8" bolts that pinch a 1 1/4" square steel block on either side of the slotted 4" channel. The inner 1 1/4" block has a vertically tapped 1/2-13 thread for the threaded rod and the outside 1 1/4" block is tapped 5/8-11 for the idler bolt. This gives you 6" of adjustment on the idler. Adjustment for belt tracking is by using a spacer or washers behind the idler. It is very easy to use and set up. It has sufficient travel to use multiple pulleys as well as being very tolerant of various available belt lengths.

Mike

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 02:19:32 AM »
Looks like you've used an idler from a lawn tractor mower.....

Does the GM 90 electric start use the same braket and pully arrangement as the Petter only at an angle?
Specificaly is this a Petteroid part that has been adapted to the GM90 ?

Is the injector the same as the big Petters?

Where does the GM 90 water pump come from? Is this a Lister part that has been adapted?

How do you get the water pump apart to replace the seal or can tis be done without destroying the pump?

How fast do the water pump turn aprox?

I realy love your pullies Mike, I wish I could get one.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

dmp

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 10:51:59 PM »
Thanks to all for your input.  Think i'll go with idler/tensioner instead of base tensioning.  If everything is aligned right in the
first place, an idler/tensioner seems the easiest and simplest way.  I want to use this engine and multi speed makes a lot of
sence to me.  Looks to be the way for belt change over the different pulleys.  The base set up looks to need to be
realigned @ every belt change.  Seems a pain. 

I want this for back-up power, get use out of it and have some fun too. 

Like Mike's tensioner and will contact him for that and pulleys too.  I'd rather buy within this group.

If there's anybody running a SD head, love to hear from you!

Thanks
  David

dmp

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 01:01:03 AM »
Ordered pulleys and tensioner from Mike M.  Once everything's here, I'll layout the frame. Getting closer to running.

David

dmp

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 03:45:17 AM »
Mike finnished my pulleys and is building the tensioner.  This puts tension on the slack side of the belt and uses no
spring.  The adjusting screw presses the idler against the the belt and that's the tension.  Whatever the load, one
tension. 

Spring tensioner, or ridged?  What exactly would be the plusses in mine, or anyother. 

Anybody used a car or truck alternator as a tensioner/idler?

Thouhgts,
  David

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 03:52:42 AM »
DMP, your pulleys and tensioner have been shipped and you should have them today or tomorrow. If you have any questions please ask! Have fun!

Mike

dmp

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 01:11:19 AM »
Mike

Taking the first pulley out of the box was fun.  Placing all three into into one assembly, well the fit and finish, perfect.
The idler/tensioner is strong and has all the adjustment I think I'd ever need.  I like the spacer bushings for the idler
shaft.  They track with each pulley/belt change.  I also like the heft of your pulleys.  More flywheel effect!  Nice job,
Mike.

Before any flames, when a man does a fine job I think he should be recognized.  I don't think it'd be interesting or
informative to hear any thoughts regarding a Browning pulley.  A man making pulleys to order, one at a time, and
understands where we're coming from is informative. 

This man does excellent work at a fair price.  He shares his knowledge on this site.

Browning or Mike?...go figure!

Regards
David

dmp

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 02:08:11 AM »
Jens

I'm not comfortable posting pictures of someones product.  No problem when it's incorporated in the finnished
product though.  Yet, to answer you, look on the Coppermine.  There are pics of Mike's pulleys.  Just E-mail him
or call him. 

Just as a note, asked a "machinest" a couple months ago about making a pulley.  Well, he asked me for a drawing.

Trust experience...qualty...results..satisfaction.  It's tough to tell that from a picture.  Searching this site is better.

All the best,
David

dmp

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 11:39:55 PM »
Jens

Mike has a photobucket link earlier in this thread.  He gives an accurate description also.  The assembly he
built for me included a 4" idler pulley.  The steel channel is 12" tall and a little less than 4" wide.  Sorry to
not give you better dimensions, just too hot to go out and measure.  Tensioning is direct, no spring is
employed.  It is a robust design and has well, without measuring, about 9" or better travel.  The base was
left plain and allows for welding directly to your frame or foot mounting, whatever.

I like mine.  Ask Mike if your if your need is different.

Regards
David

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 03:14:07 AM »
David, if you want to post pics I have no objection. A photo is worth a thousand words. I didn't take any photos before I shipped the tensioner and pulleys. Some of you have milling machines and this tensioner is simple to machine and very sturdy and easy to adjust.

Mike