Puppeteer

Author Topic: Rene' up and running.  (Read 3319 times)

kltrider

• View Profile
Rene' up and running.
« on: June 14, 2007, 05:25:03 PM »
Got laid off the other night so I had some time to assemble my 6/1. As I mentioned in another thread, I bought this from an old farmer in Alabama. It was in parts and had no ID. Every thing was there and packed with spares. He said he bought this engine to run his milking barn because the cows weren't frightened of the noise. He had one before this and it quit suddenly, so he needed to replace it, and did so with a Coleman, which scarred the cows. It took him so long to get this engine that he had an electrician connect the barn to the grid. When he retired he sold everything from the farm, then sold the farm.
She started on the 4th attempt of about 5 revolutions each try. Settled down to a nice steady 650 RPM after I fiddled with the governor. It was running a little fast at first. First run about 10 minutes to set the Gov. Shut down, cleaned magnet in the sump, and checked oil level.
Started again, 5 turns of the flywheel, dropped the exhaust vavle and lit off. I used a large compressor for a brake-in load and ran 6 HRS.
I itend to do a thorough check over today.
Wayne. 

rjcroc

• View Profile
Re: Rene' up and running.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 05:43:21 PM »

Wayne,

Congrats. Its a great feeling getting one up and running. I couldnt get the smile off my face for a few hours after starting mine.

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

kltrider

• View Profile
Re: Rene' up and running.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:05:24 AM »
Used 1.75 gallons of red dyed #2 diesel in 8HRS. at 645RPM, full rack travel after 15 minutes start-up/warn-up. Still using the compressor for a lpad since I can regulate the load so easily. Oil used was about a pint, with some in the exhaust, just a hint of a blue tinge. Best results on compression was all the way in, calculated to be 18.5/1 with     .075 head clearance. I'll run the same again until Sunday, with a partial teardown on Monday. I did see some clag on the magnet after shut down, so I'll change oil in the afternoon when I shut down.
Every kid in the neighborhood was here at some time today, and most of them brought there children with them.