Puppeteer

Author Topic: Water problems......rusty cylinder  (Read 3421 times)

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
Water problems......rusty cylinder
« on: June 15, 2007, 06:25:52 PM »
Some of you may remember the overheated 6/1 Metro we had some days ago, which is now up and running again. Still others may remember the Ashmawegh 3.5 Mini-Petter we obtained prior to the Metro........that was such a pain in the rear. Seems murphy still isn't done, the Metro and Ashmawegh have a common exhaust stack, albeit 15 feet apart or so. The 6/1 is our primary power source, because 3.5 didn't produce any useful power until after the 6/1 arrived on the scene. That probably would be no big deal, but it causes the 3.5 to stand for long periods of inactivity, which again would be no big deal but for the common stack...........did any of you ever do any math to figure out how much water vapor is in diesel exhaust? The motor was totally siezed, the bore looks terrible, and when I took it apart I could trace the water down to the bearing via the rust lines (fortunately only one bearing) Right now I have the whole thing apart all over the shop floor, and after the initial shock it doesn't look too bad........1 bearing, probably a valve, probably the block, maybe now it can get teardown and rebuild number two.......

concerning the block, does this have the same thing as the 6/1, a liner that I can press out and replace? Or maybe I'll just replace the whole block..........

At least this time we know enough to get replacements from  Atul Patel, no more Ashmawegh service for us!! ;D

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: Water problems......rusty cylinder
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 06:33:46 PM »
That's a bit of bad luck but I remember reading on here something to that effect that you'd need a low point and a drain to make sure any accumulated water doesn't find its way back into the engine when using a shared exhaust stack and a non-running engine.

I hope the rust is more superficial than anything and you get the little beast running again in no time.

RC

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Water problems......rusty cylinder
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 09:17:28 PM »
Dutchman the liner will press out. I found that heating up the whole thing in a tub of hot water and then pouring cold water down the cylinder bore was enough to to make it drop.....

If the is a lot of rust and scale in the cooling jacket prior to try to remove the liner soak it in a mixture of Naval jelly and water 50:50 with a few drops of soap. This cleaned mine up real nice......

Once apart paint the inner surfaces of the block and next time only the liner will be a concern for stripping.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken