Puppeteer

Author Topic: Found an original Lister 12/2, rats!  (Read 9964 times)

zacksstacks

• View Profile
Found an original Lister 12/2, rats!
« on: June 03, 2007, 11:16:22 PM »
So, how does a guy like me, an ordinary average joe with no discernable luck, come across an original Lister 12/2 and not immediately grab it? And what's my problem anyway!

The darned thing is at Thunder Bay, Ontario and I'm in Atlanta, GA! A great fellow emailed me and sent pictures - it's from a fishing lodge and comes with the original 7.5kw generator and frame. I'd guess it weighs probably 1600 lbs, maybe? So, how do I get something like that shipped 1300 miles without breaking my meager budget? I'm open to suggestions!

Also, can anyone tell me when it was made? The serial is cs36363.

BTW, here are the pictures:

http://listerengine.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10121&pos=0

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Found an original Lister 12/2, rats!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 11:20:43 PM »
Rent yourself a 1 ton and can you say "road trip"

of course with the price of gas and all that it won't be cheap
but if you want it go get it.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 12:21:12 AM »
where in atlanta are you//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

zacksstacks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 01:19:01 AM »
I'm in the northwest corner of Atlanta, Powder Springs.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 02:09:49 AM »
shipping should not be too big a problem.... north bay is on the lake so it could be shipped by ship to Atlanta

or truck, or rail... its a long drive from here (Ottawa) but I would do it for an original.  That would go nice with my roid :D
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

joe wvo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:19:37 AM »
Hi, Zack.

I wish you luck but let me know if you decide to pass it up.

Joe wvo

chug

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:50:16 AM »
Zack,
I would check all your possibilities, planes, trains, ships and road trips.  Make a working vacation out of it.
I'm in Michigan.  So let me know if you decide to pass it up.  I would be glad to take it off your hands. ::)
Good Luck,
Tim

zacksstacks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 02:07:13 AM »
OK, so I've made my decision and someone else will have to give it a home. Darn, I was looking forward to seeing just what a Lister is made of...

Well, I spoke with Henry and he gave the OK to post it here so here's his contact info:

807-475-4618

I just hope whoever gets it will post some pictures  :D

Oh, and I added a picture of the serial plate:
http://listerengine.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10121
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:41:38 PM by zacksstacks »

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 10:44:32 PM »
Just Spoke to Henry

The engine was running 20 years ago, been stored outside.  When he first got it the wheels spun easily.  Now the spin so far then the flywheel stops.  He thinks the lifters might be seized.  He was not sure if the water had gotten in, he thinks it might not have.

The gen head has no controller and has also been sitting out in the elements for nearly 20 years.

Someone in the states told him that that type of motor was worth $1200 USD, so he wants $1000 for it.

I'm not sure based on that intel and the conditions it was stored in, thats is worth that much

And its in Thunderbay
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 03:54:58 AM »
Check with www.centraltransportint.com for a shipping rate on their palletsaver program. My price list here in NC lists the freight from Ontario to NC as $221 + fuel surcharge. This is for a 4 x 4 pallet not exceeding 52" height and weighing less than 2500 lbs. Similar rates may apply for oversize pallets, but I don't know their policy on that.

Mike

Stan

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 05:07:19 AM »
Andrew, that engine sounds like it has water in the cylinder just like Penelope did.  It spins so far and then hydraulic pressure stops it.  That's not necessarily a bad thing cause the chrome cylinders don't rust easily, but it's not worth $1000, even cdn if it's been outside for 20 years IMHO.
Stan

zacksstacks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 03:06:48 PM »
I suspect Henry would probably consider a much lower offer if allowed to mull it over a while - provided nothing better came along...  ;)

Stan

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 07:16:23 PM »
The last 12/2 that I saw that had been "outstanding in it's field" (I just had to get that in  ;D for a few years went for a couple of hundred bucks.
Stan

t19

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 09:20:52 PM »
I only paid $600 for my SOM, and it just needed painting and general clean up, it had been running recently.  This one would make a great project, but outside for 20 years is a long time

echarters

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 12:18:37 AM »
There is no way for rain water to get into the cylinder, unless the air breather had been left open, however condensation can cause problems over time. Engines left out for even a long time usually do not rust inside the cylinders, not matter how much they rust outside. taken quite a few apart in my time that were left out in the field for decades. A surprising number were pristine inside due to chrome plating and residual oil. Water in the cylinder can be checked for in the oil sump, and I am surprise for the price they won't do that. The lack of ability to completely kick over could be due to the compression release not working or the valves sticking at a certain point, which may be serious in the latter case, but not that expensive to fix. The fact that it turns at all is a very good sign. Of course your seals will be toast. It may have water and be on the compression stroke, but in that case you may be able turn it backwards, and possibly clear it.

The distance from Atlanta Georgia to Thunder Bay, Ontario is 1382 miles. That would be about 250 or more dollars to ship freight.

http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?.intl=us&trf=0&tbt=0&country1=us&q1=Atlanta+Georgia&country2=us&q2=Thunder+Bay%2C+ON%2C+Canada+&q3=

The engine looks like it would weigh about one tonne. That will fit in a half ton. The trip would cost 450 in gas, at least and require 3 overnite stops at 150 dollars per. So 900 to pick it up. You can use higway 11 or 17, they are the same distance to T-Bay despite the appearance. You use less fuel on highway 11 over the top.

I would get my parts here
http://www.realdiesels.co.uk/genuinelisterspares.html

or at Bartech Marine in Essex UK.