Puppeteer

Author Topic: Slowspeedengines forum  (Read 16215 times)

dieselman

• View Profile
Slowspeedengines forum
« on: June 01, 2007, 12:39:18 AM »
Hello all:
I've been off the radar for quite a while....busy a work, but my most importantly there is a new woman in my life so the Lovson rebuild has taken a distant second in priorities. Also, the machine shop I took my parts to for glass beading and balancing is still trying to devise a way to balance everything properly. But back to the topic at hand.  After reading in the forum that George had his own forum, and was being very selective in who he will let participate I decided to go find out for myself. I entered all the required info that was asked and waited for same to "reviewed". Today I recieved an email stating that I did not meet the requirements for the forum. How did he determine that since all he had was my name and other basic info? When I became interested in this "hobby" George was considered to be the master, and I was advised to get his CD and everything he had available.  Maybe he has a God complex, and percieves that only a few can be associated with his greatness. So be it. Very dissapointing to me. Just had to get this off my chest. Thanks to everyone else for the help so far. I will post the results of the balancing as soon as I get something worthwhile to report.

Ex George fan,

Jim
1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins
14/1 Lovson (in progress)

rbodell

Re: Slowspeedengines forum
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 01:48:23 AM »
The key word here is private. Some people try to run a public forum like a private one anmd they soon cease to being usefull. When you join a private one, you accept being put in your place. Now you know that he has to know you and that he has to want you. don't take ti personal.

Stan

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 02:09:51 AM »
Jim, don't take it personally, you will always run into people like that no matter where you go.  You have to just accept that not everyone has the same ethics that you do.  You can only "vote with your feet" and not deal with them and their kind.   If you want to see a large old engine site which includes a forum on diesel engines of all kinds that is a model of propriety, understanding and polite helpfulness (yes it can be done) just google smokstak.
Stan

twoolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:12:51 AM »
At least you got told you were not wanted.  I did not even get a denial email.  I'm new to the lister, and just trying to learn as much as I can.  I appreciate all the posts I've read here in the last few weeks, and hope to learn MUCH more before I finally buy one.

Stan

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:32:28 PM »
Too bad we couldn't block certain IP addresses, sort of reverse discrimination, we could call ourselves the "non-technical, non-expert Lister(oid) forum"  ;D
Stan

dieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 12:59:44 AM »
Hmmmmm:

I like that idea, although he might make it rain for 40 days, or shut down the internet.

Jim
1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins

Stan

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 02:17:16 AM »
Or send pestilence upon us  ;D
Stan

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:32:37 AM »
  Come on guys, how about cutting the man a little slack..  I remember a few years back on another forum when George B. was thanking someone for pushing him in the direction of the slow speed diesels.  Since then George has worked long hours and become a fount of information for slow speed generation.  Now with the advent of the EPA rulings as a slap in the face to most things Lister(oid), I can understand pulling back and regrouping.
  One of the strengths of the internet is setting up your own group.  If George wants to invite some friends over for an evening chat without having to pick up the cab fare, I can see doing it just the way he did.  We all need to remember that the man who pays the bills gets to make the rules, and just be thankful that we have this forum to learn from at no cost to us.
  I too would like to sit in the back of the room as it were, to learn what I could.  But I understand that bandwidth costs money, and I really don't have anything to contribute to George's group that they don't already know.  I am fairly sure that really large computer switch centers don't come up in their discussions very often and as a novice to diesel generation I would be way over my head most of the time.
  To be honest, I for the most part enjoy the rather rowdy and slightly ribald tone of this forum.  It helps keep the humdrum at bay.  And if some major development comes about as a result of the other forum discussions I feel certain that Bob or Jack or Quinn or Zeke will report it over here.

Just my two cents -
Dave

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 04:34:13 AM »
Well I was a member of the other forum before we part ways ost of the people there are the guys with the most to offer here.

That forum is intended to help Utterpower product owners and associats dealing with their stuff and their problems. Its also a place to vent in relative privacy for them......

Dave if the point of that forum was to make public all the information inside then it would be read all and posts only by those aproved. Where do you think the stroy about the Chinese oil field engine with 6 stroke came from?
It was a test for leaks, obviously a think tank that can't keep secrets isn't much of a think tank is it?
What information does come from form there from Bob, Jack, Quin, others ect will be selected and aproved. This is the price to be payed for belonging too a privat forum.

Welcome to the new reality of the Listeroid as buisness.

Ironicaly the Listeroid is a product of copying and stealing ideas, a sort of Marx's revenge. Now that money is being made some people like George and Joel are trying to bottle up, brand and restrict the import and information on their engines.
Is this wrong?
I don't know, it all depends on if you want to deal with Utterpower for JKson engines and information.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

rbodell

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 12:22:04 AM »
Now that money is being made some people like George and Joel are trying to bottle up, brand and restrict the import and information on their engines.
Doug

If bhe was doing that, why would he have even mentioned it here in the first place?

dieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 12:50:02 AM »
Is this "all about money" for George? Does he really think he can control the listeroid market?
Maybe  I am missing something here.  I thought  he was just a nice guy sharing his ideas with other people and making a couple of dollars along the way.  Is there greed involved?

I guess it really doesn't matter. I will finish my Lovson without his help.

Jim
1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 02:01:29 AM »
He's not controling the market no one can lol.

But you can brand stuff and try and restrict your supliers. This is good buisness practice.

Sure he's interested in slow speed engines, but this is a buisness.

Do you think anyone who sells roids does it purely for fun HA.

Money makes the world go around.

Doug

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 03:23:33 AM »
Folks,
All this talk about secret forums made me go look it over.  Yes, I'm a member, but I still like all you guys.  From a casual reviev of the posts it seemed that some folks were really going all out making electronic
 control stuff from scratch.  Mostly over my head.  George is working on the concept of EPA compliance, but so far reduced emissions have resulted in reduced power out.  Still a wok in progress.
As for Flaming or putting down other people.  It's just not there.  Comments are made about other people's work and progress, but this forum is very polite and George seems determined to keep it that way.

Mabe we could learn something from that.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 03:43:15 AM »
"As for Flaming or putting down other people.  It's just not there."

Well I was a memeber at one time and although the post was deleted George did call me an "some idiot". Rumour has it since I was shown the door I've been called some other less flattering things.

We can learn something from that....

Doug
Now let me start off by saying yes Bob I read that and I still respect you. The post here he is refering to was some realy bad off the mark advice I gave to a memeber here. I realy screwed up typing faster than reading and not being on the same page as everyone else. And Sayer think of me what you will I have nothing to prove ( I hold more than one ticket in the electrical buisness and I think it fair to say I know a little about it ) and when I'm wrong I admit it. I don't have all the answeres but here in the  "Out House" as we are called a man can be wrong and admit it and all posts are here for good history is not rewritten or deleted. And I have been misquoted myself.

And some histories can never be deleted guys
Let the games begin, for this evening listen I have chosen Holst's Mars bringer of War from The planets.

mobile_bob 
Moderator   Join Date: Aug 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i saw that post late last night, i woke and got up because i could not sleep

i should have known why i couldn't sleep!

some peoples children,, i swear

yes i believe he has an st head, and it was a piece of crap too, remember?
he broke the end housing trying to tear it down, and Pat had to send him another.. of course he had to desparage him before he gave Pat a chance to send him another housing.

Doug, i know you either will read this or have it forwarded to you by someone, so for godsakes man,,, give it up!
bob g

sawyer335 
Associate   Join Date: Jul 2006

crocks and crocks of sh** from the out house

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, here is what a REALLY inexperienced "expert" "senior" poster said there late last night: "Personaly I think buying the Utterpower CD is a waste of time ( and the kit for that matter ).....

136 v no load is a bit low but not by much, personaly I would expect inthe 145 range NL....

Check to see your head has the proper connections.
Test your rectifier bridge.

I'll provide you with part number for a bridge rectifier I use industrial switch gear that has proven itself reliable if you like ( need double check with my stock code for the number ).

All syncronous machines have a high output impeadence, the whole point behind the harmonic winding ( if you look closely you will see there are infact two sets of coils ) is to provide a base excitation and load compensation. Now if something is wrong with your rectifire or connections that might explain a lot"

<OH, just one more please!!! >

"The only fly wheel failure so far has been a Metro.
Another one cracked and shattered a crank.

We haven't seen a KOEL engine yet and Mamad, the Iranian fellow says they are the only ones that aren't junk."

He not only mis-states, but also mis-quotes, etc, etc, etc. And he states that the only flywheel failure so far has been a Metro. I seem to remember that particular "failure" was caused by running with a 'wheel loose!! AND, I would love to know how a flwheel cracked and shattered a crank.

To the best of my knowledge, he owns neither a Listeroid, nor an ST head! (Sorry, he DOES own an ST head he got from "Pat".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 04:26:52 AM by Doug »

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 04:36:11 AM »
"some idiot"

Every village needs one....
Stay away from my village...i already have the job....