Author Topic: What 56 years of abuse can do to an engine  (Read 5132 times)

CD in BC

• View Profile
What 56 years of abuse can do to an engine
« on: May 29, 2007, 01:09:02 AM »
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1868853 

Not much time left for that bearing, chunks 1/16" thick 3/16" can be removed with the finger nails!

Top ring is stuck, lower bearing very scored.

The engine must have been pounding hard and long to cause that kind of bearing failure.  Same as seen in one indirect injection engine that was unwisely converted to direct injection.

May not be Lister parts of course, as the engine has obviously been opened before - Vicegrip marks on the studs etc. ::)

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: What 56 years of abuse can do to an engine
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:55:30 AM »
Almost looks like the bearings were put together in the hopes that they would fit and had more of a gap in them than they ought to which let the crank beat the hell out of them.  Poor old girl... I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding parts for her though, hopefully the cylinder won't be your trouble item.

Good luck with it, let us know if you find anything else amiss in there.

Robert

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 05:38:25 AM »
That's a good thought thanks, I was thinking there must have been something wrong elsewhere in the timing.  There were a couple of home-made looking shims between the cap and the rod, and the edges of the bearing had been crudely chamfered so who ever was working on it was no craftsman.

I'll investigate prices for genuine parts in the UK, but probably too high.

Probably bearings and even a piston, rings and liner can be sourced here from other makers/engines.  It would be nice to have the chrome lining, but not essential I guess.

Does anyone know what the life of the chrome liners is? 

Still looking for a cylinder head cover for a CD 8hp....

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 05:55:12 AM »
Think of any other modern engine and how it would respond to such treatment.
Only an Isuzu fishing boat engine could come close to that kind of enduring toughness! Still, any other  engine would have puked it's guts and shown daylight in the basement!
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

CD in BC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 06:41:18 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the engine.  It has held up well; a Gardner would have too.

Filthy oil in this one too, that will destroy any engine.  I'm wondering if this was the cause of the erosion of the "Listard" chrome lining, or just reached the end of its life.  Anyone had experience of the lifespan on these when maintained?

Haven't decided whether to get into the mains.  They are so massive I'm hoping they survived OK.  There is no obvious play, but grabbing the end of the crank and trying to feel for play is not an exact science with a 250lb flywheel on each end.

Redone this one is going to have either a centrifuge or a toilet paper bypass filter.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »
 I'd be very interested in pictures after the parts have been cleaned up some.  I'll bet its' not that bad.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 04:50:32 PM »
lifespan of a hardliner can be anywhere from 8 hours to nearly forever, and it all comes down to
maintenance

i have seen induction hardened liners worn out nearly .100" in one 8 hour shift, owing to dusting down the intake

from the looks of the engine and your report on the condition of the oil, it would appear that the old gal did a good
job inspite of the poor maintenance.

i agree with hotater, clean her up, she might not be all that bad

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info