Puppeteer

Author Topic: Amazing Find - Original Lister, identification required  (Read 8599 times)

tomgilbert

• View Profile
Amazing Find - Original Lister, identification required
« on: May 20, 2007, 05:32:46 AM »
Folks

A friend asked us up to his farm for a couple of nights. I was excited because I knew he had an oldish petrol Gainsborough that had not run for years and he was happy for me to have a crack at it. Turns out he had an old pump shed with another stationary engine in it and he thought I should take a look at that one instead. Could not believ my eyes when I opened the door and there is an early model diesel Lister that had not been started for about 30 years, maybe more.  :o
As a novice I could not identify it but this is what I can tell you. It has two large fly wheels and the pushrods run on the outside. The plate states 3.5 hp and 650 rpm. The serial number is 462315. I am unsre of the vintage but to me it could be 1930's??
I had never seen or started one of these but could tell it was complete. After a good check over I gave it a crank but there was no compression at all. I identified the compression lever at the base of the exhaust pushrod but it has seized in compression mode and made no difference once it had been rectified.
We cracked open all the fuel lines one by one to ensure the motor was getting fuel and when we cranked there was good pressure where the fuel line eneter the top of the motor.
Still nothing. Frustrated I went to the house and rang a friend. He said after many years being idle the valves may not be seating so I returned and gently tapped the rocker arm with a hammer. Still no compression. Frustrated I just began cranking hard and flicked the compression lever on. The motor gave no signs of life and coasted to stop. As it did I noticed the faintest whisp of black smoke from the muffler. It had burnt some fuel. I cranked again like mad and we flicked the compression on. The motor ran down but more black smoke. I knew we were onto something. We did it again but this time, ever so slowly the whole think just came to life. I removed the crank and slowly the revs built up until in all its glory the motor stopped blowing noticable smoke, settled and ran beautifully.  ;D
We all threw hight fives, jumping up and down awe inspired that this beautiful motor had come to life.
We ran it for a couple of minutes then turned it off as we have not yet done a job on the cooling system. This is to follow.
Once we stopped the motor I wanted to check the compression and would you believe it there was so much compression you can forget turning it over with out the decompression lever to assisti.
Well that about wraps up my weekend. Can anyone assist me with identifying this motor? I gather it is very collectable.

Cheers

Tom G

sid

• View Profile
Re: Amazing Find - Original Lister, identification required
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:57:21 PM »
just returned from the portland ind. engine swap meet//huge turn out of engines and assorted junk...out of alll the engines for sale, found 2 original listers.one a 3 1/2 hp cs. very rough shape . huge patch welded on side of water jacket..heavy oil leak. etc. he wanted $2700 for it// he took it back home with out selling it..the other was a 3 hp air cooled. unsure of model /he wanted $700. for it,he also took it back home.most engine have gone up in price in the last year/ was looking for a 5 hp gas, found one but the compresssion was low.. it was hard to find the compression stroke....it ran but no power and the governor was not working and it made things interesting until we could get the fuel turned off and slowed down..so I came back with 2 bucket full of antique tools.also picked up a beautiful 300 lb anvil and a very nice black smith leg vice..very good price on both//it would be hard to estimate the # of engines for sale but I would guss about 1000 give or take a few hundred. was there for 4 days and they were still coming and going..prices ranged from a few dollar for a piece of junk to $15,000.  over a all a very sucessful collecting trip/// sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Stan

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »
Tom, sounds like you've got a 3.5 hp Lister CS made in 1943.  Check out  http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Technical/dating.htm  go look here for more info.  You really should oil up the bearings and all the moving parts on the head before running it.  Search around and get yourself a manual online, they are available in PDF format.   See this same site for more info.

Congrats, a good find, as I've always said (at least enough times everybody on here is sick of hearing it, "THEY ARE OUT THERE" all you've got to do is keep on looking.  Will he sell it to you though???????  ::)
Stan

tomgilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:40:35 AM »
Howdy Stan

Thaks for that. What series would that make it then do you know? I would love to get him a manual for it, he's be stoked but no, he is not interested in selling it unfortunately. I made an offer on his LD but he wants that too! I will check out the site you suggest for a manual..

Cheers

Tom

Stan

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:01:48 AM »
Series "CS" (stands for Cold Start) the give away is the compression release.
stan

tomgilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 07:03:17 AM »
Yeah I understand the CS but the 3/1 and 5/1 notations. Please explain!! I know it's basic stuff but I am a newbie remember?! ???

tomgilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 11:33:29 AM »
Actually I think I have worked it out but feel free to correct me. 3 in 3/1 is hp (rounded down??) and 1 is no. of cylinders?

Stan

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
Right on.  ;D
Stan

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:58:46 PM »
In the collectors world, Lister CS 3/1's are actually more desireable then any of the other CS's.  Especially if they have original paint.  The pure-ists are nuts about original paint, at least in the good ole USA.  In the U.K. I think they like to completely restore them including fresh paint.  At least from what I have seen.  The reason they are more desirable is because they are easier to start.  Keep in mind alot of collectors are older gentlemen.  Sounds like you have quite a find there.  Congrats.

tomgilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 10:52:50 AM »
This unit is entirely original inc paint. It is still mounted on it's original slab and has never been apart. It is an elegent looking engine with the earlier style spoked flywheels. The downside is my friend wont part with it.  :'(  No probelm though, I just love finding out about it for him and advising him on maintenance. I'll have to stick with my 1957 LD to get my thrills. There must be more old engines floating around South Australia though so I will keep my eye out!!  ;D

Tom

Stan

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 07:20:32 PM »
Hi Tom...I didn't realize you were "down under", this site doesn't insist you put your location in the personal info and most people don't,  I didn't notice the .au behind your email address.  Actually the 3/1 should (I believe) be called the 3.5/1 as it should put out 3.5 hp at 650 rpm and only 3 hp at 600 rpm. (but that's just nit picking  ::) )

To find one in it's original clothes would be a real find, could you take a few pics for us?
Stan