Author Topic: SVO Pumping  (Read 5521 times)

Flydoctor

• View Profile
SVO Pumping
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:42:24 PM »
I gather oil with a 12 volt Fil Rite Pump.  Its a bit slow, but in the field it is a necesary evail I guess.

1.  At home, I wanted to change to a 110 volt pump system to suck and fill my tank.  Can I use a water "jet pump" from Lowes and just know it may not last a super long time??

2.  Has anyone desinged a valve system to the pump can both suck oil from my gatering tank into my holding tank, then reverse it back into my truck?

3.  I have two 500 gallon containers stacked, can I fill the top one, then use a filter inline to fill the bottom one?  Will a gravity filter work in this case.  Time is not an option, it could drip for all I care...what filter can I put in line?

4.  Does anyone know where to get a metal holding tank for behind a resturant?

Thanks

Email:  thanson2@houston.rr.com

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: SVO Pumping
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 06:49:56 PM »
Septic tank trucks use the vacuum suck method to remove your waste products rather than a sludge pump.  I'm not sure what sort of device you'd need to generate that much of a vacuum but it might not be too hard to rig up a vacuum outlet on the top with some sort of stop ball valve arrangement and suck the oil up where you need to.  The pump could run while you are traveling from one place to another to generate enough of a vacuum for the next extraction.

Robert

Flydoctor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:38:14 PM »
1.  My tanks are stackable, with a metal cage.
2.  55 gallon cans are just messy for the resturant...it needs to be clean and simple.  They need to be able to pour hot oil.  Can you point me to a clean lid?  Because I use a fake video camera and a huge sticker saying it is under video survalience!  So far 7 months, no incidents.
3.  You use 2 micron?  I use .5 micron...is 2.0 ok for final filtration?
4.  I am going to try a simple 110 pump...see how long sge lasts!

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 01:02:50 AM »
Hi
I think the TP filter would be slow. When the paper gets moisture in it the flow will slow.
Just put in a new roll when the flow slows too much.
I use the cheapest from Sam's club, they work fine
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

Flydoctor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:43:16 PM »
Jen,

1.  Awesome find on the barrel lids.  Thanks!  That will surely do fine!  Thanks!
2.  Yer right, 330 gallon totes, stackable.  I have three, 1000 galons, so I forgot and said they were 500 gallons.
3.  Regarding filtering from the top one to the bottom:  One company suggested a racor 1000FH. 

Do you trhink I could make a large filter housing and somehow have it hold a filter sock inside??  Time is not an issue...but I am fearful that a small filer would clog fast...

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 01:01:08 PM »
  I read someplace about a fella who used an automotive air conditioning pump to suck the air out of his collection tank while driving. It would have to be a pretty substantial tank though.
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 01:26:45 PM »
Yeah that makes sense, something already on the vehicle to start with, just do the plumbing and some auto shutoff if the level gets too high and you're generating vacuum all the time you're driving.  Hopefully you have enough differential to suck the oil when you get to your next stop.