Author Topic: (fun topic) Painting/Naming: Is it immoral to paint non-hunter green?  (Read 16241 times)

Doug

Re: (fun topic) Painting/Naming: Is it immoral to paint non-hunter green?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 12:17:19 AM »
Glyptal 1201 come in spray cans for around $10.00 ( called 1201A )

I can't find any tougher paint that not an epoxy. Personaly I don't like epoxy of any kind, its a trust issue related to long term stability. Electrical epoxies like PD george work good for jobs in a pinch, but I'll always prefer to use a product based on Xylene that recomends a bake for several hours. I've seen it for myself a regular paint finnish curle up a peal exposed to Xylene or Toluene even after weeks of drying or a bake. But once the finish of 1201 has been dried for a few days or baked for as little as an hour, its set and no oil and few solvents will shake it off.

Oh Yes a Name for my Petter "  Bob ", don't let go to your head Mobile Bob this one is for a dear friend who passed away who had a love for machines, gardening and was an all around nice guy.

Doug

Stan

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 02:43:55 AM »
Hi Doug...I tried to find Glyptol but no one here or in Cranbrook (nearest larger village) had heard of it.  I wonder if any research has been done on what Lister painted their engines with?  I'll bet it wasn't anything fancy though.  It seems to have lasted for lots of years judging from Penelope's coat.
Stan
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:45:28 AM by Stan »

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2006, 04:39:21 AM »
Stan,

Rustoleum brushable enamels work fine inside a diesel crankcase, though I wouldn't use any one-part paint in the nether regions of anything run on petrol.  Two coats seals up the orange peel surface and leaves a smooth and shiny finish.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

Stan

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2006, 04:48:28 AM »
Thanks Quinn...I don't think I'll be painting the inside of the crankcase.  Just want to put the old girl back to her original condition and that was only pretty on the outside.  Something like a lot of the girls I used to date.  :-\  She was put together pretty well though (also like a lot of the girls I used to date) ;D
Stan
btw...nothing wrong with a little anthropomorphasizing is there?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:50:32 AM by Stan »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2006, 04:54:59 AM »
personally i like semi flat black, with gold highlights/trim
(RIP smokey yunick )
and i really like rustoleum paints, cheap, durable, available everywhere around here
touch up is easy, just spray it on, and buff it out with 4/0 steel wool, done!

i did my best to get Quinn to do his up in rustoleum chrome, i still think that would be cool too.

as for a name,,, hmmmm,,, agnus? brunhilda? gertrude? bertha?.... ya,,,"bertha" if it was a girl.
and "brutus" for a boy

Doug:  btw,,, all us bob's are nice guys :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 12:06:04 AM »
No doubt,  never met Bob I didn't like...

My buddy Bob was the owner of a Merc dealer, Sold Onan sets and owned the motor shop where I started in the electric buisness.

He hung doors at my place, ran an excavtor up and down the road, made cabnets and fin furnature for fun and did a home renovations on my block for Gin.

His funeral was a packed affair, proof if you give back to community you'll never run short of friends.

Stan get Glyptal from an electrical suplier not a paint shop. Any good semi gloss enamel in an oil base will work.
I prefer a premium product...

Doug

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2006, 12:44:40 AM »
I like the sound of that.  "Tremclad Farm Machinery Rust Paint"  Sounds real honest.  I wonder if it comes in brunswick green.
Stan

Nope...just Ford Blue,  International Red,  John Deere Green,  John Deere Yellow,  New Caterpillar Yellow, &  Old Caterpillar Yellow

actually thier regular green is very close...John F uses it
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 12:06:48 AM »
Being color blind, I'm thinking of day glo pink with international orange flywheels-----so I can see it.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 08:05:33 PM »
I have a 1933 lister cs 5/1.After stripping off all the old paint i discovered that the original paint on my engine was Black.I found what was left of a decal on the head other side from gov.I can just about make out ister,ley,and eng and what looks like some numbers above that lot. Shame ive allready painted most off it green now, it would look good black with red or gold pipping.

Doug Doty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »
You guys are going to push me over the edge on this with all the talk of pretty paint. I would probably go with either original green and some two tone for pretty or basic black and light gray.  At first it was all about function and who cares but as I read the how the Indian finish sounds so bad and there is no reason it can not be functional and pretty also.

I have been considering a teardown and a good hot tanking, balance check  and re-assembly of my new and yet to arrive Metro. I would not normally consider it but one of my best friends is an engine rebuilder for a living and the cost is next to "o"  for me to do it and it would give me a better understanding and feeling about the engine. Also the more I read here, it sounds like there is usually some mechanical justification for it.

Mine will be named " Olivia " as it was the chosen name for my only daughter and a last minute change made her into a " Hanna "

rbodell

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 09:55:19 PM »
personally i like semi flat black, with gold highlights/trim
(RIP smokey yunick )
and i really like rustoleum paints, cheap, durable, available everywhere around here
touch up is easy, just spray it on, and buff it out with 4/0 steel wool, done!

i did my best to get Quinn to do his up in rustoleum chrome, i still think that would be cool too.

as for a name,,, hmmmm,,, agnus? brunhilda? gertrude? bertha?.... ya,,,"bertha" if it was a girl.
and "brutus" for a boy

Doug:  btw,,, all us bob's are nice guys :)

bob g

One thing about being named Bob, it is mighty hard to misspell.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »
I do miss Bob G, nicest fellow, passed away 2 years ago now this August.....

Kind of guy who would change the engine in your lawn tractor because you didn't have time.

Little bottles of Rum in his tool box.....
Always tinkering and puttering about, found time to help with any projects....
Died of an an enlarged weak heart. He had a huge heart bigger than most people I know

Easy to spell yes, but if Bob where still with us I would pobably name my Petteroid after him. Without Bob's input I think naming that Kluge would be disrespectful so my engine is named Gus ( for another fellow with issues but still with us. Shine on Gus your commic reliefe is missed )
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken