Author Topic: Forced air heating with a Lister  (Read 20423 times)

pigseye

• View Profile
Re: Forced air heating with a Lister
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2006, 12:27:22 PM »
Hi troy,
Yeah that's what I found.  Googling wood stove/furnace just produces 1000s of links.  I'll keep poking away.

My thought is to design a secondary chamber that is like a home built foundry.  Use refractory around the chamber and try to create the secondary burn.  My hope is that the refractory would eventually warm up and maintain more consistent burning at high temps.  Probably a long shot and nothing more than random thoughts.

I'll keep folks posted on progress if I decide to give it a go.
Steve

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2006, 04:51:17 PM »
If you hit on a good/easy/efficient design, don't be shy.  I would happily copy yours as the ultimate form of flattery.

I might even have half a bag of refractory laying around somewhere leftover from my home brew foundry.  It is also often possible to buy firebrick pretty inexpensively rather than molding one from scratch.

Finest regards,

troy

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2006, 12:48:20 AM »
Hi
In answer to the original poat. Do you already have a forced air furnace?
If so it would be easy to do. We use a lot of electric heat strips here in Florida. The strips could be put in the sheetmetal plenum (supply or hot air discharge) They are 220v single phase units with exposed terminals. So they shpould have a box covering them, for safety (inqusitive fingers).
one strip is aprox 5kw. stacked up to the capacity you want. These are seond stage heat for heat pumps and primary for straight cool units.

The house thermostat will have to be changed to give you two stage heat. the first stage electric heat  will carry the house untill the temps drop enough to bring on the second stage.(oil or gas). This  is the easiest, cheapest way to use your lister. also it is automatic, as long as the Lister is pulling the gen load.
If you are intersted I can ship you some salvage units for the shiping$.
PM me or we can discuss it here.
I service these daily here in Fla. I'm planning to use several to load my setup for testing.
What size lister are you useing?
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time