Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel Pump guts  (Read 6048 times)

Stan

Fuel Pump guts
« on: April 18, 2007, 09:32:58 PM »
I need some help/advice.

I've got my 6/1's fuel pump sitting on the bench, the keeper ring in the bottom is out, the little metal can came off easily enough.  I can see the spring and plunger up inside.   I've got the big nut off the top (keeping the little spring from getting lost).

I have read that the "guts" of the fuel pump will now slide out the bottom.  NOT!  How can I get all the innards out so I can clean it up for reassembly.

(It might have gotten a little rusty inside as it sat outside for a couple of years).
Stan

Stan

Re: Fuel Pump guts
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:31:48 AM »
OK, no hits here so it was off the the "bigger hammer" theory in my shop!  I constructed a king sized crochet hook and solidly mounted my fuel pump on my largest vise upside down.  I then grabbed my crochet hook with my biggest pair of vise grips and pryed upward.  No luck.  Set feet and pryed again.

Something gave and a veritable fountain of what seemed like small parts fountained upward.  My whole life flashed before my eyes.  Everything slowed down to 1/10th speed as I tried to track each small part in it's near earth orbit.  Every part seemed to home in on the most junk filled, messy corner of my small dimmly lit shop.

When I came back to earth, I immediately called search and rescue and set up 500 watts of light.  I "think' I've found everything.  I dumped all the parts in the plastic tray with diesel in it and called it a night.
Stan

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 12:28:12 PM »

Stan,

The utterpower cd has very clear step by step instructions for disassambly and reassembly. The pictures will make life ez. On my 6/1 pump, which was stuck in the up position, took some soaking and an incredable amount of banging on a oak 4x4 before it came loose.

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 04:45:41 PM »
Thats a drag!  something to be said for laying out some old bed sheets or even newspaper around when trying something like that.  I hope you found all the bits.  Worse case you have to buy another one and then have a shed-load of spare parts.

RC

Stan

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 10:09:15 PM »
OK, hold the donations, everyone can breathe now, I"ve accounted for all the bits and pieces thanks to Peter's wonderful website, I don't know what I'd do without it.  ;D

Now, however, since I obviously didn't get a chance to observe all the various parts in their original habitat, I have some questions and assumptions. 

First, there's no single dot on the rack! There are 2 of them, suspiciously they are exactly the same width apart as the body of the fuel pump.  I am officially assuming that when the rack is in the body of the pump with both dots just showing, it's in the correct position to install the plunger flange and plunger "straight ahead".

Second, as you can see if you look closely at the plunger, it has the letter "L" stamped on one arm (and "B 1/1" on the other).  I assume this is in lieu of the "dot" that indicates it should be lined up with the pinion body.  There is no dot on the pinion body however the notch on the pinion flange would be the indicator on the "other side" of the pinion.  See pic below.

Anyone can jump in anytime to verify these assumptions.
Stan

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 08:04:51 PM »
I had the same problem.No centre marking.The 2 markings that line up with the body are when you have max speed.I set my pump up with lots of trial and error.I can only tell you how i did it which used Georges cd as guidence.First i mounted the pump on the engine and moved the lever up to the off position.Then i marked the rack with a bit of tape.With all the guts of the top of the pump you should be able to see a small notch in the top of the plunger.This notch should be in the 4 oclock position when the rack is in the off position.The tape is handy so you can make the adjustments with the pump of the engine.If it isnt right then adjust it one notch one way or the other.Be ready for a run away if it isnt right  :o

Stan

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 10:26:58 PM »
Tnx for the invaluable info. I can see much work ahead of me!
Stan

listerLD19

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 06:55:22 AM »
sorry to hi jack your thread

but how did ya post the pick Stan?

Stan

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 12:15:28 AM »
First you've got to upload the pic to a site like coppermine look in the top right hand corner of your screen, they when you've got it uploaded, click on it so you can see the bigger version, then right click on the pick and choose (I think) save location or something like that, and then go and type out your message here in the forum and click on the little screen (second box from the left above the smilies) then without moving the cursor use ctrl+v and it'll post the url of the pic in between the javascript code (there has to be the left square parenthases then the url of the pic then the front slash thenright square parethases after the url.

If you don't get it right the first time you can always edit your message anyway.
Stan