Puppeteer

Author Topic: 165F Changfa reassembly  (Read 4648 times)

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
165F Changfa reassembly
« on: April 16, 2007, 02:39:35 PM »
We got a 165F Changfa engine some time ago, and made the stupid mistake of starting it up without checking the oil level  >:(

six months and countless importer hassles later we have parts, etc and are  beginning reassembly, and I want to compare notes if I can.

There's a small copper gasket on the bottom of the cylinder, there isn't a one piece gasket that covers the whole top of the block, it strikes me as odd.

One question, does anyone know how critical gasket thickness is at the bottom/top of the cylinder?

And another one, the cylinder fits into the large hole in the block, but it's extremely tight, to the point where it almost has to be hammered in. Is there some way to remedy this?

What think ye of my forest green paint job?  ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:46:41 PM by mkdutchman »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 165F Changfa reassembly
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »
not sure about your gskt question

but the upper and lower gskts set the piston to head clearance and effect compression ratio

the tight fitting cylinder,

i would put a heat lamp in the block to warm it up and allow it to expand, and then fit the cylinder in

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 03:26:47 PM »
Thanks bob, will try it.

Another little potential gotcha just showed its face,
While putting the rings on the piston, I noticed the one is shiny versus the other two (not counting the oil ring) are black. I believe I read somewhere that the top ring(s) is constructed of a higher heat resistant material than the one(s) below it, and I didn't catch that when I disassembled the engine. Does anyone know which goes where? As you can see below the middle ring is shinier, I take it it's made of a different material than the other two, which are black

pbabcock

• View Profile
    • The Dyno Shop, Inc
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 02:39:27 AM »
Don't know the answer for this motor... but make sure you know which is the top or bottom of each ring. They may have a small step, on our Mazda Race cars the top ring's step is up. This may not apply to these engines though.... Somtimes need to look with a magnify glass.

Phil
Changfa Type 1110 w/ 12KW ST
Phillip Babcock
http://www.philsclassiccars.com
http://www.thedynoshop.net
Ft Myers, Florida

lev-l-lok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 03:56:39 AM »
Dutchman, I'm fairly certain the shiney (chromed) ring is the top ring in the stack. The only possible GOTCHA is an step or taper, which I'm sorta sure Mobile Bob can provide better guidance on.
 Press on, your on the home stretch, good luck.

Paul
Paul

1922 Fairbanks 6 hp Z, Chang Fa ZS1115G / Fuking ST-10, Lister? soon!