Puppeteer

Author Topic: My not so quiet Changfa 195  (Read 6365 times)

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
My not so quiet Changfa 195
« on: April 16, 2007, 02:25:05 AM »
This subject has already been beat to death before but I need an opinion. I have solved the exhaust noise by installing a Nelson muffler that is 9' tall and 18" in diameter. It has 4" inlet and outlet. At full load you cannot hear any exhaust noise unless you put your ear in front of the outlet that is 12' up in the air. Now the next hurdle is the damn intake! I have tried every intake filter I can find but cannot make it quiet. I even tried one from a Sullair compressor.  Now here is my silly idea. What if I buy another Nelson muffler and put it between the intake and the filter? If it can make the exhaust noise quiet then would it do the same for the intake? Anyone every tried this?

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

okiezeke

• View Profile
Re: My not so quiet Changfa 195
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 03:44:09 AM »
Dont know why it wouldnt work.  Seems like you could weld up some kind of baffle to do the job with less than 10'. I pick up my 1115 tomarrow, so I'll be faced with the same problem.  What other mufflers did you try?  I'm hoping something off the shelf will work.
Zeke
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:36:35 AM »
Dont know why it wouldnt work.  Seems like you could weld up some kind of baffle to do the job with less than 10'. I pick up my 1115 tomarrow, so I'll be faced with the same problem.  What other mufflers did you try?  I'm hoping something off the shelf will work.
Zeke
The muffler is sized for a Cat 3406 at 500kw. It's a super quiet residential muffler. I tried all the automotive types and really didn't like the sound so just went for the big muffler. It cost about as much as the engine did but well worth it. I think I'll try another automotive type for the intake. I have a couple of used ones but really don't want to chance the engine ingesting a chunk of rust or carbon. Not much sound comes from the engine mechanically but the intake and exhaust make up for it. Very impressive engine. If I can get the noise down I'll be running my air conditioning this summer for free ( waste oil as fuel ). Fun times ahead.

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 04:38:02 AM »
John:

u might want to go to a local pik a part and look for an intake resonator,
they are very popular on cadillacs and i would suppose most high end cars

they are basically a sort of silencer that fits on the intake of the aircleaner.

they work well,

the intake bark from a 195 is somewhat loud isnt it?

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:51:55 AM »
John:

u might want to go to a local pik a part and look for an intake resonator,
they are very popular on cadillacs and i would suppose most high end cars

they are basically a sort of silencer that fits on the intake of the aircleaner.

they work well,

the intake bark from a 195 is somewhat loud isnt it?

bob g

I never realized how much sound came from the intake until I silenced the exhaust. I even tried a Cat intake silencer from a 3208 marine setup, didn't even work. I'll try the local bone yard. Maybe I'll get lucky. My giant muffler may cause problems later on. It's so big the exhaust velocity at the top of the stack no longer has any pulsation left to it. And the temp is so low you can hold onto the pipe. Condensation will be a problem on short runs if the temp doesn't rise enough to dry out the insides of the muffler.

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »
Try a straight through automotive glasspack of large bore like a Thrush Cherrybomb before the air hits the air filter.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »
  We had various size Rootes type blowers at work and their intake bark could be worse than their exhaust bark without muffling.  They were outfitted with intake silencers that weren't all that different than the exhaust mufflers.  Since this type of blower is made in all kinds of sizes, say, 1-2 cfm to 1,000 -2,000 cfm a search should be able to turn up something that would work.  Also, since most automotive type superchargers are of that type  you might try a search for an automotive intake system, a junkyard would be a real good place to start.
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

lev-l-lok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 04:05:43 AM »
John, Ohh, Ohh, I would try a supercharged GM passenger car air cleaner assembly. Seems it might provide some impressive silencing.

Paul
Paul

1922 Fairbanks 6 hp Z, Chang Fa ZS1115G / Fuking ST-10, Lister? soon!

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 01:47:36 PM »
http://sporttruck.com/howto/p9431_image_large.jpg 
  I looked at this from suggestion by lev-l-lok and it looks like it might work.  Go to the right side of the picture.  In the bottom right corner is a plastic looking 90 degree bend, above that is what should be the silencer.  It has a look about it that is the same as our silencers. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).