Author Topic: Gas and soybean oil as additive  (Read 8544 times)

dkwflight

• View Profile
Gas and soybean oil as additive
« on: April 09, 2007, 12:41:54 AM »
HiI didn't know where else to post this

I have an '85 Mercedes diesel 300D turbo. 222.000 miles on it. I run pump diesel.

It has been running fine, but I got the urge to experiment some.

I read about mixing gas with diesel in one of the other posts.

I decided to try a mix of 1 gallon lowlead with 2 gallons soybean cooking oil. The cheapest fryer oil that was a liquid at room temps. I put 1 gallon of the mix in the tank and topped off with pump diesel. This puts 1/3 gallon of gas and 2/3s of the gallon of soy oil in the tank with about 15 or 20 gallons of fuel.

Long story short. I went to my nieces houw for Easter. A good time was had by all. I used to burn around 1 and 1/2 tanks fot the round trip.
I made the trip today on 1 tank with more power.

Your results may vary but I am going to continue with this for the next tank. I don't drive much so most of the first part of the trip the engine was settling down after months and months of short trips.

I know this is not very scientific. But I had good results with this first tank.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
Re: Gas and soybean oil as additive
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »
I would be afraid the gas would sieze the IP up.  I would never use it in my diesel, but the Cummins would cost a bit more to replace then the MB.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:00:55 AM »
I would be afraid the gas would sieze the IP up.  I would never use it in my diesel, but the Cummins would cost a bit more to replace then the MB.

Are you worried about the lubricity? With all that veg oil in there I dont see lubricity as a problem.

I still start and stop on diesel but am putting about 10% rug in the WVO tank with biocide and Diesel911. I havn't done any consumption tests but the engine seems as happy as can be.

Fattywagonman is giving it a go on Sodbust's thread.
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?board=11;topic=1734.17#msg24490

Thanks, Geno

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:20:12 AM »
dkw,

I cannot see that small percentage of gasoline causing any damage.  It might be acting to clean out your injection system, hence the apparent improvement in power and efficiency.  VW actually suggested (read approved) the use of up to about 30% gasoline in with pump diesel to assist cold weather starting with the 1.5 and 1.6 NA Rabbit and Jetta engines.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

tomgilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 11:24:18 AM »
Yeah I am not sure about any petrol in a diesel engine. While the octane will be higher it will burn with less lubrication. Perhaps the oil makes up for it. I probably wouldn't do it myself but thats just me..

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 11:40:02 PM »
With diesel engines you need a certain cetane rating and specific gravity.  I don't rememeber the recomendations, I know they have been posted here before.  Octane is not good for diesel engines.  You could get pre ignition or burn a hole in your piston.
Would you mix a little water with vegatable oil and run it through your IP? LOL.  You'd still have lubricity, right?  The reason everyone goes to all the trouble to remove water is because it will ruin a pump.  Gas is a like a solvent, I would say you are shortening the life of the pump.  Listeroid pumps are relatively cheap compared to some pumps on other engines, I'm eager to see the results.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 11:51:19 PM »
Hi
I figured that 1/3 gallon of gas in 20 gallons of diesel was not too much. There was a marked improvement in power from the first with this stuff. I will reduce to amount added when I fill the tank next. Probably 1/2 gallon to what ever i fill on top.

If diesel hits $3 a gallon the soy oil will be more attractive to run as fuel. I am tempted to try the 1/8 mix Sodbust is using. I will start shopping for bulk oil, maybe 55 galon drums.

The gas mixes very well with the soy oil. almost instantly.
Dennis

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:32:45 PM »

I had been using some Lucas fuel additive in my 88 Jetta Diesel.
I think it's really just some sort of Veggie oil....for $7/Quart   ::)

Last tank, (12 gallons) I put in a quart of 10-30 motor oil.
The engine is smoother running, runs cooler, and has more power.

I thought VW suggested 10 (TEN) percent gas in winter NOT 30(!!) percent.
I asked at the Diesel injection shop years ago, and they said "VW suggests 10% but
BOSCH suggests 0%"...... ;D

dk
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 01:32:17 AM »
My 82 Wabbit owners manual said mix gasoline to thin #2 in the winter to prevent gelling.

I never did it but I did see a miss fueld Passat smoke and run like crap at the dealership with a near full tank of gas....

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 03:23:17 AM »
On the flip side, 10 years ago I filled up my 1979 ford f100 inline 6 cylinder with diesel in a blinding snow storm and drove 8 hours like that.  Couldn't get it to go over 45 mph.  It knocked, bucked and pinged the whole way.  I still have that truck.  The ford inline six is indestructable.  I figured the main bearings would be shot but they are still holding up.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 04:05:37 AM »
Hi Many years ago I had a Ford Falcon 6 cyl.
I got a load of diesel and the car ran with it. POORLY.  but it ran.
Then there are the early John Deere tractors designed to run on Kerosine, after warm up. They don't like diesel much either. but they will run (You need Ear Muffs) I was told by a guy who did it. The tractor had plenty of power but the tank valve leaked and he had a lot of trouble starting it the next day 'cause of trying to start with almost pure diesel in the carb.

I think when I put 1 gallon of the 1/3 gas, 2/3 oil mix in it might have damaged the engine some. I don't know. I did get great milage. That was 1 gallon of mix to a full tank  (about 20 gallons) of diesel in a turbo charged engine. The engine seems to idle differently. I haven't taken a compression check either.
I filled the next tank of diesel with about 2 quarts of the mix. I don't drive the car much.
I will post when I have driven it more.
I will be driving to Colorado from Florida the last week of may. I will take some of this mix along and try to document the difference in operation and milage with different amounts in the tank.
Dennis