Author Topic: Cylinder re - lined  (Read 4041 times)

fireram

Cylinder re - lined
« on: April 08, 2007, 05:11:09 PM »
Posted pics of my lister repairs so far..just the first 10 pics are recent..:

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/fireram/Lister%20Pics/

Stan,  Thought I would post here instead of Hi jacking the other thread.....

The cylinder is just steel.. The replacement rings are chromed..  This was the easiest option to find here in Canada..  I looked into importing a new liner or a whole new cylinder...  The shipping costs and exchange made it just a little more.

I also asked them to press in the new valve sleeves and install the new valves.  They were ordered from a gentleman in the UK. along with a new gasket set..

While they were putting in the valves they ground the head flat.  It was out allot, enough that to make it flat they had to grind into the exhaust and intake flanges...  Rather glad they were still on there for the grind, or they would have been sticking out..

I hope all the machine work pays off...  The lister was hard to start even warm before..  I assumed lack of compression due to the poor cylinder wall, the heavily re-seated valves, and possibly a faulty compression change over valve..  I definately had not planned on the $800 for parts and labor, now an extra $100 for paint and finishes.....  I did read somewhere about these being inexpensive  engines...  My fault for buying a motor 2500km away, not starting it my self and hearing it run...

fireram

Re: Cylinder re - lined
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 05:15:16 PM »
Also, If you look at the pics, the one labeled What is this?    Anyone have a guess, if not I will call the shop on Tues.  Looks like they epoxyed some sort of heat detector or something??

It says :  580 pioneer  void if removed

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 05:34:30 PM »
Also, If you look at the pics, the one labeled What is this?    Anyone have a guess, if not I will call the shop on Tues.  Looks like they epoxyed some sort of heat detector or something??

It says :  580 pioneer  void if removed

That looks a bit like a Surveyer`s Monument.  If you remove it you could go to jail.   :D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 08:53:52 PM »
1)  Of course it looks as really great but will you need to shave the top of your piston with all the machining that has gone on?

2)  You might consider removing the incriminating photo before it's reported to the mattress police.

LG
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

robert47

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:40:27 AM »
Fireram,
     That thing looks like a tell tale device called a heat tab.  If the center melts out you've exceeded about 275*F and that is proof that an overheat has occured, voiding any warranty that came with the machine work that was  done.   I used to own an engine rebuild shop here in Michigan and I used those things on every rebuid that we did.  One difference was that I would glue them to a freeze plug to get a faster and, I felt, a more accurate reading.  From your pcs all machine work looks first class.

Bob H

fireram

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 02:26:39 AM »
Thanks,  I figured it was some sort of overheat detector. 

I was worried that the piston would come too close to the head,  But after thinking it through,  the piston / head clearance is adjustable infinitily with the shims between the cylinder and the block...

I suppose tho.   The clearance to the valves when open would have been reduced...

Ok.  Now i am worried again...