Puppeteer

Author Topic: Weird original 5/1 head  (Read 5755 times)

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
Weird original 5/1 head
« on: April 03, 2007, 02:13:16 PM »
Hallo guys,

I'm now the happy owner of an original CS 5/1.
While repairing it - because restoring would be the wrong word with my competency - it came to day that I have bought a lister with a strange head.

The injector is in direct contact with the cooling water. There is no cast iron tube (right words?) around the injector.
Have there ever been manufactured original listers like that? I think it is build in 1933/34 and sold in Belgium.
I've uploaded some pictures and a sketch to coppermine where I marked the missing cast.

http://listerengine.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=156

What do you advice me to do with that head? Replacing?

Thanks a lot.
Lars
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:38:55 PM by taeuber »

lendusaquid

• View Profile
Re: Weird original 5/1 head
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 08:52:40 PM »
I have the same on my engine built in 1931.Its a wet injector.

Stan

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 09:05:56 PM »
Peter explained the differences in injectors somewhere on this thread, try a search and you might find it.  I'd restore it to original form but I understand there were some problems with the wet injectors, that's they changed them.
Stan

MikeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:54:18 PM »
Peter explained the differences in injectors somewhere on this thread, try a search and you might find it.

How right you are, 4 threads down, last post... http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=1775.0

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 10:18:08 AM »
Thanks,

I now recognized that there are different heads made from Lister.
But I have a problem with this, because I wanted the engine to work in a closed cooling system. How should I seal the upper end against pressure in the water system?
Was there anything to convert this wet injector type head to the later manufactured type?

Regards
Lars

Stan

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »
I've no experience with that type of "wet" injector head but the Listers weren't designed for a pressurized cooling system.  The sealing mechanisms all through the system have to be designed to resist pressure if you are going to do that and they aren't.  You'll have water seeping out the head gaskets, and also into the cylinder if you try that.
Stan
Peter's post further back in this thread mentions a rubber gasket to seal the injector but I'd bet you a beer that it won't take much pressure.  :(

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
I used an large fat o ring to seal mine but it is low pressure.

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 08:42:07 AM »
Hi Graham,

could you take a picutre of your »large fat o ring«. for me?

I think about cooling this engine in a kind of open hopper system with waste heat recovery, but the water line is above the cylinder head.
I'm a bit afraid the head could become a point of durable trouble.

How do you cool your system (low pressure)?

Are there original spares (heads) available anywhere?

Thanks
Lars

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:18:17 PM »
I was mistaken, I had used 2 o rings.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2525670850100808385ZimGQU?vhost=good-times

A low pressure  hopper system is perfect for these engines.Its what i will be using.

listerdiesel

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 10:20:34 AM »
There was a reasonable head of water with the radiator cooled engines, but as has already been mentioned, these were not intended or used with any pressure in the system, even the radiators were vented to prevent build-up of pressure.

A later head is mechanically compatible as far as I can see from the changed number listing, but as the injector itself may not be compatible with the later head, you may have a problem if you cannot source a head etc where you are located.

Tank or hopper cooling works fine as the latent heat of evaporation of water takes an enormous quantity of heat out of the engine with not much water loss, which is why it was so popular.

Don't try and take out too much heat, these are not engines that tolerate low temperature running.

Peter

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 10:08:18 PM »
I thank you all!

When I'm done, I'll post it here. Be patient it'll last a bit.

Lars