Author Topic: Flywheel Grooves  (Read 6568 times)

rjcroc

• View Profile
Flywheel Grooves
« on: March 19, 2007, 08:20:49 PM »

Does anyone know, is there a specific side that the flywheel with belt grooves should be on?
I have 2 engines and they are different. My SOM has them on the same side as the intake and another with them on the exhaust side. I dont know the proper right and left. Are these balanced to be right or left, or are they interchangable? 

Also was a Lister engine ever painted maroon?

Thanks for any help,
Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

rjcroc

• View Profile
Re: Flywheel Grooves
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:41:17 PM »

I think I forgot to brush my hair and change my socks

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

Stan

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »
Sorry Rick, I'm still trying to recover from the vision of a "maroon" Lister  :P

I can't see why, assuming the generator has balanced brushes and can be turned in either direction,  the grooves can't be on either side.  It would depend upon which way you would want to orient the machine in your shed.  Penelope doesn't have the grooves even though they are som weight flywheels.  Just goes to show that there were many variations. 

There couldn't have been a "maroon" variation however.
Stan

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:00:08 PM »
Well this one seems to be red/maroon. I dont know if its original.

http://www.jestersltd.com/pics/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=2

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 05:07:40 PM »
awe comeon,,
be somebody!
make a statement!
be proud of your engine!

paint it chrome!

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 05:30:25 PM »

Lendusaquid
That very engine swam over to our side of the pond.

MB
Where do you get chrome paint? I'll paint the rocker cover chrome to get rid of the awfull yellow.

Rick

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 06:58:53 PM »
Now chrome plate all over would be a silver dream machine.

MikeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 12:54:07 AM »
Does anyone know, is there a specific side that the flywheel with belt grooves should be on?
Rick,

The one SOM I can touch has the grooved flywheel on the exhaust side. I have many pictures of SOM's, and taking a cursory look through them, they all seem to have the same configuration. Peter has a nice SOM brochure scan here that shows that: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Technical/Startomatic1.htm

Having said that, I have seen several engines w/ SOM type flywheels, such that the grooved flywheel is on the intake side. Also, I have a 4.5kw SOM manual which has several "recommended" foundation/engine room" drawings, each has the belts shown on different sides... I guess you get to take your choice :)

Michael

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 11:18:16 AM »
Thanks Michael,

Your reply caused me to take another look. My SOM has the grooves on the exhaust side and the other CS 6/1 has the grooves on the intake side. This is what caused the question because I know that the previous owner had the CS 6/1 engine apart. I was wondering if he put the flywheels on the wrong side. I remember reading, I think it was on utterpower, that someone had two left hand flywheels which would imply that there are lh/rh flywheels. This may only apply to listeroids.

What kind of silver dream machine would want its flywheels on backwards?

Rick

listerdiesel

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 08:17:45 AM »
There are a number of variations on flywheels with belt grooves.

By memory, the VA engine had them on the different side to the CS, Start-O-Matic set engines had them on one side but straight, non-automatic generating set engines had them on the other and so on. If the engine is off the cast base and has no generator with it then it doesn't really matter that much.

Regarding maroon engines, there have been various colour schemes applied by set builders and for specific customers, but the base was always Middle Brunswick Green.

Peter