Puppeteer

Author Topic: how much wear?  (Read 7962 times)

glastry

• View Profile
how much wear?
« on: March 13, 2007, 12:23:09 AM »
have just brought home a 1955 6/1.(minus the fuel tank and not running)
it has been used with a generator,and has been laid up for 20years.
i have just started to clean off the dirt and i notice that on the flywheel side that
had the provision for belt(s),that there is a slight amount of movement when i lift the flywheel.
there is no detectable movement on the other side.is this normal?-how would you
usually decide if the bushing is worn enough to need attention?
i am clearly no engineer-but i am willing to learn.

thanks (1st. post)
based in co.down. northern ireland

dkwflight

• View Profile
Re: how much wear?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 12:54:24 AM »
Hi
If it is noticeable then it is probably too much.
The best way to check it is to do a teardown.
The next best way is to borrow a dail indicater and have a buddy read it when you lift the flywheel.
It sounds like the bushing or babbit needs renewing.

There probably is other things that need attention.
Do a tear down.
Dennis.
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 07:07:54 PM »
You will learn a lot from a complete strip down.Its the best way if you are new to these machines.Stick some oil in the bearing and see if you can still move it.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:36:33 PM »
Glastry--

The movement means the main bushings are oversize.  HOPEFULLY it's the bushes that have worn and not the crankshaft.   There are many ways of building up the crank and regrinding if that's the case, though. 

The crank is no longer scrap if undersized.  High technology IS wonderful when it saves something wonderfully low tech. 
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 01:05:56 AM »
Glastry,
The way you describe it it stands to reason the belt tension helped wear out the main bushing (bearing). I would do like the other posts suggested and do a top to bottom. You are at the right place to find leads for original Lister parts, and as hotater suggested you can fix anything and there aint much there to fix! Wish I had one!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 09:10:47 PM »
New Indian crankshaft £100, new set of main bearings £40  just for info.

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 11:43:46 PM »
new set of main bearings £40  just for info.

Are they genuine or Indian bearings? Anand has them for US$ 6.50 each +freight (6 months ago). I know that genuine ones are being quoted at AU$ 250/pair over here.Funny, I bought Indian  ones. Can't think why! :D

Cheers,

Brian

lendusaquid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 05:34:37 PM »
£40 for Indian bearings for a pair .$6.50 each! let me have some.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 01:31:01 AM »
Lots of people have bought parts from Anand without issues.

For what its worth I believe a complete set of Petteroid rod and mains cost around 12 dollars.

Lots of sites quotes spares for 5 and 10 times what you would pay dealing direct.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 01:47:00 AM »
Doug, how much time does it take to get parts direct from India?  I"ve heard on this site that some companies aren't very willing to deal with individuals.  When you ordered your parts, were you an original buyer of the engine from Anand? 
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 01:02:25 AM »
I better clear this up....

I ordered my parts with the engine.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3602239

Small crates, lots of stuff ranging form spare head, liner cranks ect....

These were included in the order and delivered with it.

Some people have ordered parts from Anand, they are happy to sell you small quantities and If memory serves they usaly are delivered by courrier. You can ship most stuff this way under 90 kg but its gets costly.

Doug
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:04:32 AM by Doug »
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 02:22:25 AM »
Stan,
      Anand are very easy to deal with. Atul kept me informed every step of the way.From memory, parts were shipped within a week of receiving my international money order.That's the hardest part, getting the money to them.It'd be a cinch if they'd accept paypal.
     Once they had the money, airmail took another week (ish). All in all, an easy process and well worth the effort.I'll do it again when I need bits. Airmail is a bit pricey for larger parts. My list included a couple of liners, so I paid AU$200 postage for Au$100 worth of parts.You do get a lot of parts for your money though ;)
     The parts arrived in good nick, and appearance-wise are indistinguishable from genuine Lister Petter parts.I suppose I can only speak for the bearings and gaskets, I didn't order any castings.
    After all of this I suppose I should add the usual disclaimer, no financial connection etc! ;D

cheers,

brian

Stan

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 02:33:05 AM »
Brian, it's good to hear you can get parts from Anand easily.  I wasn't aware (or just plain forgot) you were "down under". :-[  Many of the suppliers of engines here in Canada stock spare parts and can get them to us, thankfully, without resorting to air freight charges.  Maybe we'll see you here in Kimberley some day for winter skiing, there's always a few plane loads of aussies arrive in January and February to ski (and drink  ::)  Nice people, extremely friendly and easy to talk to on the lifts etc...
Stan

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 11:38:44 PM »
Maybe we'll see you here in Kimberley some day

I'd love to see Canada, my brother lived in Winnipeg for about 15 years,but got to see a few of the pretty bits too! :D
Me on skis? Don't think so! ;D the drinking part sounds good though....

cheers! (Hic!)

Brian

listerdiesel

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 08:21:58 AM »

i have just started to clean off the dirt and i notice that on the flywheel side that
had the provision for belt(s),that there is a slight amount of movement when i lift the flywheel.
there is no detectable movement on the other side.is this normal?-how would you
usually decide if the bushing is worn enough to need attention?

Even a new engine will have detectable lift, although you'd need to be pretty good to notice it.

I'd be inclined to leave it be and see how it runs before stripping it down, these engines will run with a lot of clearance as long as a decent SAE 30 oil is used. There is no pressure feed, just oil pumped into the top of the bearing and running down through it.

Get it running first.

Peter