Author Topic: McCulloch 55-5 Chainsaw info needed  (Read 3872 times)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
McCulloch 55-5 Chainsaw info needed
« on: March 12, 2007, 02:55:51 AM »
Hello,

Lucky me I found a McCulloch chainsaw sitting in the woods of our ranch. No telling how long it has been there. It has a 40" bar and is mostly there. I'd like to see if can get it going again, however I need a gas tank first as it is cracked. Anyone know where I can find info or parts for this beastie? From what I've found this is a really old one as it has the external bar oil tank.

Here is a link to one the same as mine. And it sold in Jan. for 66.00 too.  :-\
http://ebid.nashville.gov/auction/XcAPViewItem.asp?ID=5560

And here is a bit of logging history about the saw
http://www.vannattabros.com/saw44.html
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

dkwflight

• View Profile
Re: McCulloch 55-5 Chainsaw info needed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 03:08:49 AM »
Hi If you get it going you will find out why they left it in the woods.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

diyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 04:23:36 AM »
I have a McCulloch out in the barn.  When I needed it last time, I was looking for parts (about 5 yrs ago).  McCulloch is no longer.  The brand was sold off to someone.  I don't remember who.  I was looking for a new bar, chain, brake etc. 

I ended up buying a new one.  The McCulloch is my dirt saw.  If I am going to possibly hit dirt, I just run that one.  The bar is so worn that If I try to go through a 8" log, it will curve the cut and eventually go down the length of the tree instead of through it.

It wasn't worth selling, so I just keep it for the bad work.

diyer

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 10:21:10 PM »
A lot of the McCulloch engines were used in go kart racing ( eg the D44 evolved into the MC 49c ) so depending on what saw you have there may still be some parts kicking around in the karting scene.

Early saws were well made, later ones when Black and Decker becamed involved were junk.
They made some good outboards too but high compression ratios made tuning an art....

Second hand info here mostly, I had an MC 92 kart engine in the early 80s when they were still in production. My dear old retired Dad work for them in the 50s and showed me what saws had kart potential....

Other rare saws that are kind of cool were the Clintons with the 3:1 belt drive bar and the swivel carburetor ( wish I still had that saw but stupid 14 year old Doug turned that into a kart engine too ).

A quicl check of some of the older dealers may turn up bars, reeds, rings and other accesories.
I love old saws and mowers and hope you can fix it.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:10:01 AM »
I love the old stuff too. And this one I could use. I like the way they solved the carb problem on this saw with a rotating blade.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.