Author Topic: An observation and a delemma...  (Read 9576 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: An observation and a delemma...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 02:34:19 AM »
Portland, Indiana.  About 43 miles south of Ft Wayne.  You mean there is another Portland???

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Stan

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2007, 03:35:50 AM »
Has it got a population of 1/2 a million people?
Stan

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 03:41:45 AM »
1/2 million is a little off/ try 3-4000/ just a guss but I am pretty sure the town has 2 or 3 red lights//give or take a few/you can be out of town before you realize that you are in it/sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 05:07:08 AM »
We have a London here in Ontario just a few hour`s drive for me.  Perhaps I shud just go there to buy a real English Lister.  That ought to save trying to deal over the pond eh!

Portland...yeah, I was thinking Oregon too. I never hoid of Portland Indiana B4.   ???  Portland Cement.  Yes!  Is that stuff named after Indiana or Oregon?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 05:10:08 AM by rcavictim »
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

okiezeke

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 06:02:45 AM »
Portland Maine  ::) ;D :o
Zeke
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:04:55 AM by okiezeke »
Changfa type 25hp with 15kw ST head
Lovson 20-2 in blueprinting/rebuild
International TD-15 B  1962 dozer
Changfa 8 hp., 280 A battery charger

listerdiesel

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 08:12:03 AM »
The shows are hosted by the Tri-State Gas engine and Tractor Association, 22nd-26th August if I remember correctly:

www.tristategasengine-tractor.com/

Motels in Portland and Decatur are usually booked years in advance, but there are other towns like Muncie with rooms available, we stay in Muncie ourselves but we do book early. Nearest airport is Fort Wayne (FWA) and you can get connecting flights from Chicago, detroit and other hubs.

It's not difficult to find accomodation if you don't mind a shortish drive, and Muncie has far better shopping and other facilities.

Our travel itinerary this year sees us fly into Detroit, stay locally for one night, visit the Henry Ford Museum and then work our way south, visiting our friends in Temperance, MI, then on to Bryan, OH to look at the big Nordberg generating plant there as guests of the admin people, then we go to Auburn to look at the Auburn-Cord car museum, then down to Muncie. Motels are all booked along the route.

After the engine show we go to Dayton, OH to renew our USAF Museum subscription and have a look at the latest exhibits, that's a couple of hours drive from Muncie, but very nice back road routes for most of it until we hit the outskirts of Dayton.

We drive about 1500 miles in the 8 or 9 days.

For us it is a relatively cheap holiday as the US$ is quite low against the UK£.

Pictures, we take up to 1500 in the week, and a show report comes onto our website a few weeks later. The motel has Wi-Fi internet connection for free so I take a small laptop (Toshiba Libretto) to collect email and to start picture editing. I usually spend a couple of hours on the flight back doing pictures as well, there's a lot of work involved!

We would be very pleased to meet up with other guys from this forum at the show.

Peter