Puppeteer

Author Topic: An observation and a delemma...  (Read 9572 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
An observation and a delemma...
« on: March 05, 2007, 08:34:40 PM »
First I have noticed that the activity here has really dropped off.   What is going on?  Are people losing interest in these green beasts?

Second a delemma.  I have a solid lead on a Lister 3.5  It was rebuilt by someone I trust and is in good condition.  After the rebuild the man that bought it had a stroke and has since passed on.  It is for sale at a substantial price.

Real listers are getting further and farther apart.  True?

My attempt to buy this one in England fell apart.  Shipping got complicated, then just when I got that all sorted out the seller backed off.  The crating was more than he could handle.  He demanded that he would only accept payment in pounds, etc.   A real shame too as it was a nice engine.

I was running some numbers.  I have a average household electrical load of 2.0 to 2.5 KW.  This is taking my billed KWHr and dividing by hours/mo.  Peaks are higher and evening is lower.   Belted to a ST5 this engine would be running 1/2 to full load all the time with little reserve for spikes.  I want to run on VO/WVO and get off grid for the house.  No way to do this for the shop due to the large motors I start and run.

I would feel better if this engine I found was a 5 or 6 HP engine.    I could run the 16/2 + ST15 in the summer when the AC is kicking on.

Suggestions?

Bob

Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

Stan

Re: An observation and a delemma...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 09:27:46 PM »
Bob...2 observations.  I live in SouthEastern BC and have found no shortage of English Lister engines.  As you have no doubt read, I found Penelope (6/1) just 15 miles from my place in a friends back yard.  I found the second (12/2) about 3 hrs up the road.  Since I was already working on Penelope I notified a guy I "met" on this forum that lives fairly close and he went and got it.  I firmly believe that English Listers are lurking about all over the world.  It does, however take time and work to "talk them up" with anyone capable of breathing and that will stand still long enough.  I don't know what part of the continent you live in, but I'd be willing to bet you a beer that there's one less than a couple of hours drive from you just sitting in a back shed somewhere.

Second, as I'm sure you have read all diesels like to be run at or near full capacity.  It keeps them warm and it keeps the carbon buildups down.  So it would be best for you to find a prime mover that will operate at that level.

Stan

MikeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 09:44:08 PM »
You mention 3.5 HP, do you mean a 3/1, as they are hard to find parts for (expensive)

Shipping is a pain, you need to hook up with a friendly seller (one that will go a bit extra, hold the item for the weeks it takes to arrange the pickup, crating, shipping, etc.) Those sellers are around, you just have to establish a rapport with them in advance of the deal. Hotater has a few still "over there", he might have a few pointers regarding the purchase and less expensive shipping options.

I've brought 2 engines over in the past year, it is not cheap nor easy. From my point of view, it is worth it in the long run... your milage and opinion may vary. By the way, on my last purchase, we negotiated the price in Pounds, but eventually agreed on payment in Euros via Western Union :) . I've only had 1 UK seller (of the dozen or so I have purchased odds and ends from) not be willing to pick up a wire transfer from WU. PayPal is cheaper and easier, when available.

Michael

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 02:40:37 PM »
Thanks guys,
I am in central Illinois and there is an Amish community that bought Listers for power on the farm.  Most of those have been replaced with newer equipment though.  They are floating around but are getting scarse or are not for sale.

The Lister I tried to buy out of England would have been nice.  By the time I got it here I'd have close to $2000 in it.  When the deal fell apart there were mixed emotions...

The 3 or 3.5 HP is local and has known history but they are asking $1650.  If I do not buy it they are planning to haul it to Portland and sell for $2000.

l would like to find a 6 HP lister to belt to a ST 5.  That would be a better fit.  Please keep your eyes open for me.

Thanks,

Bob

listerdiesel

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 03:25:48 PM »
Anyone that is 'sure' of getting $2000 for a 3/1 at Portland is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Diesels are not that popular in the USA, and although Lister engines generally have a good following, you'd need to be a bit gaga to pay silly money, even if it has been 'restored'.

Shipping is a problem, especially after the new regulations on pallet wood came in last September.

Payment is always a bit of a hassle with anyone who doesn't trade with PayPal or who doesn't use $$'s. We are over at Portland in August, be glad to meet up with any of the regulars if they make it to the show.

Western Union payments:
I have had two over the years, both difficult to sort out this end with our own banks, so these days I use PayPal for anything where possible. One payment never got cashed, our bank wanted more to handle the payment than the payment was worth, you live and learn.

5/1 and 6/1 engines in 'as found' condition should be available for £150 to £250 max. 3/1 engines are slightly rarer, but not exactly rocking horse sh*t either.

Sorry I haven't been around much myself, the factory move is nearly over and I'll have more free time then :-))

Peter

rjcroc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:09:11 PM »
Bob,

When you say you would have about $2,000 in it, you are talking from a hopeful position. There many things that influence the final price. I know that Michael understands what I'm talking about.
All said and done you will incur more cost than you think. I know that I did and I am not one bit sorry that I bought some Listers and brought them here. If you could get a Lister 6/1 for about $2,000 jump on it. I know that I would.
Also if you can make a deal across the pond, you can go to your bank and do a wire transfer to the seller. The money can be dollars, pounds, Euro's or whatever they want. There is no personal information that goes along with a wire transfer, just the funds.

Rick
"THE GREATEST DANGER FOR MOST OF US IS NOT THAT OUR AIM IS TOO HIGH AND WE MISS IT, BUT THAT IT IS TOO LOW AND WE REACH IT"  MICHELANGELO
6/1 METRO, 6/1 LISTER SOM, 6/1 LISTER, 1 1/2 HP LISTER D, LISTER PUMP,LISTER PETTER LPWS4

MikeyT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 11:26:47 PM »
Bob,

When you say you would have about $2,000 in it, you are talking from a hopeful position. There many things that influence the final price. I know that Michael understands what I'm talking about.

Yes, I think I understand :). For a single engine, figure something in the ballpark of $1500 for pickup, crating, shipping, customs, brokers fees, countless other miscellaneous and incomprehensible fees, and stateside delivery. Figure $1800+ for a SOM or a twin, or if you are in the middle of the US, far from a domestic port of entry. Like Rick, I did have a fair idea of what the final costs would be before I started, it ended up being a bit more, and I don't regret a penny spent, but I can certainly understand why some folks would prefer to go down the less expensive "oid" path instead.

I would be hard pressed to pay $1650 for a 3/1, only because the parts that are not common to the 6/1 are much harder to find, but by comparison you might spend $2500 to get a nice 6/1 purchased and over here. Perhaps a week long tour through the backwoods of Canada would be cheaper :)

Michael

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 12:48:53 AM »
Hi all,
     This isn't completely off topic, but.... :)
We've seen a couple of 3/1's over here in the 4 figure range (Aussie $) but i don't think they sold. Others go in the $300 - $400 range.
    What I've come to realise is just how much money you can put into a genuine Lister, even before applying any lipstick.I'm using some Indian spares and some genuine. After luxuries such as balancing, skimming of gasket surfaces,honing (on a sunnen hone) etc etc >:( etc I'd  want $3500 for my twin and that wouldn't even cover my own labour. Fortunately the rods had been resized and the crank partly metal sprayed when I bought it ! I suppose what I'm trying to say is that "Listers ain't Listers". You can't tell from the outside, so I suppose you just have to trust the seller. OK, got that offmy chest! ;D

Cheers,

Brian

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 02:19:20 AM »
listerdiesel, are you planning on being in portland in may/ i should be there / would be a pleasure to meet up with you//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 03:22:11 AM »
Bob,

RJCrock,
THis was about $1000 for the engine, $700 quoted to ship, 150 to crate + misc.

Bob

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 06:40:16 PM »
Well, I did end up with the engine.  Fresh fuel and some attention to the injector pump had it soon ticking over nicely.  Sweet!

Last weekend I started on a new frame.  Similar to my other design but modular and much heavier material.

Bob

listerdiesel

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 06:45:24 PM »
listerdiesel, are you planning on being in portland in may/ i should be there / would be a pleasure to meet up with you//sid

Hi Sid:

Won't be there in May, but WILL be there in August, have booked and paid for the flights, motels and hire car already.....

Anyone else who can scrape the $$'s together, Portland Show in August is a MUST!

Peter

Stan

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 09:54:02 PM »
I've noticed many on the smokstak forum talk about the Portland show like there's only 1 portland.  Are we talking about Portland Oregon or some other smaller portland?
Stan

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 10:05:36 PM »
I was wondering the same!?
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 02:34:03 AM »
the portland show is in indiana/ they have 2 a year, the first is a swap meet in may//if you are interested in engines. it is the swap meet to attend/ usually starts around monday or tue. and last for 5-6 days/ it changes every day as people come and go/ I usually stay 5-6 days/ the one in august is a show and it is where you can see several thousands engine and tractors/ and it also has a lot of buying and trading going on... the weather in may ranges from miserable to beautiful but the wet cold days seem to out number the sunny days/ the august show  can be describle as hot followed by  hot and stormy/ this year i will try to make both shows// the major draw back is motels are very few and booked years in advanced/ most people camp or stay in motel that are 30-40 miles away/ I usually just stay in my truck/ plenty of camping space/ Peter we will try to get together in august if things work out//for more info on the show, just google engine show portland ind.  sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc