Author Topic: I must be verry lucky  (Read 5409 times)

WHITEOX3

• View Profile
I must be verry lucky
« on: February 26, 2007, 11:32:16 AM »
I am the proud owner of two water cooled 160. changfa diesels, which I bougth new for au 150.00 each. one is installed on a 100 amp. alt. which runs a 800. watt. inverter, for a small house boat.
the other one powers the 22' house boat that is direct coupled to a small simpson gear box. Forward an back  it putts around all day for a few litters of fuell at about 1800 to 2200 rpmr. top speed around 14 or 16 mph. I go at around 2000 rpms and 12 mph the motor is running all the time I never stop it till its time for bed. the gen. is a little small but it only powers a small box freezer an the ligths only draw 80.watts. useing long life bulbs. the frezzer only runs for 4 hr out of 24.  once the food is frozen it will stay that way with only a few hours on the gen. So far I have had no problem with the motors at all. But they are still new. the way I figure if the motors go I will put in another one How can I go wrong at au 150.00 dollars All I can say I must be luky after reading all the bad reports on the CHANGFA. And I am haveing the time of my life playing river captain with out spending big bucks lol whiteox3

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: I must be verry lucky
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 04:02:19 PM »
Those 160`s have a really small oil sump so be sure to check oil level once a day at a minimum. Also, because you do not have much oil there it is important to change it more often I think as there is less of it to keep contamination in suspension.

I would encourage you to try replacing the long life incandescent lamps (long life have heavier filaments and are actually less efficient than normal incandewscent lamps) for some power miserly spiral CFL`s.

Glad to hear you are having fun! 
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

retardo

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 04:49:39 PM »
 Whiteox, you have a problem.

Changfa no longer makes R160 diesel engines, R165 is the smallest. And even if you did,  a 22' houseboat going 12 MPH on less than 3 HP is just a bit much, eh?

RCAvictim, you are right, the sump is tiny. About 1 quart if memory serves.

Expose provided by Retardo mentalbum.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 05:39:13 PM »
give em an r195 and he will be pulling ski'ers

lol

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 10:33:41 PM »
So with an 1125 he could hydro foil it? Makes me want to put one in my Cub Cadet! I can see the broken axles and drive shaft already..
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

WHITEOX3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 02:31:54 PM »
Hi again, I see that I have non believers . I will try to clear it up a little better.I started out to build a paddle Wheller and ended up with a prop. the plans are on the internet type in free boat plans +showboat any way that was the start of it . I built it on the cheap used 1/4 ply. fiberglassed tape for the joints painted with deck paint as I only thougth It would be used for two weeks then I would tear it apart . But i have got the boat fever bad and it is holding up well.
Sorry about the speed as it was more of a trial and error thing using a another boat we went with his o meter reading then tried a fish finder that didn't work either then had a car drive along the bank this worked but it was in km not miles as I stated, sorry about this.
this House boat is light with only the motor an gear box about 40kg gen 30kg not sure about the boat weight used 20sheets of 1/4 ply and 100 ft of 1-by-1 not sure how much a sheet of 1/4 ply weighs told  1/2 ply is around 22.lbs so the wood around 250. i think the whole thing around 500.lbs and it is a flat bottom .
But it was cheap to build cheap to run and for a 63 year old idiot I am having a lot of fun made a lot of mistakes , always adding water it splashing out roof leaks no toilet . but the fish fear me lol Donnie   

i

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 05:08:58 AM »
Donnie,
You are lucky... you built a boat... and it works... and it's powered by a thrifty little diesel...
How cool is that???
So you think it does 12 MPH... I'd have to say that's pretty fast for a house type / flat bottom boat.... especially with the power you have in it... but who am I to dispute your word... I have a little steamer .... it's 8' wide and almost 40' long... it does about 8 MPH when it has a good head of steam...  the rule with displacement hulls are the longer they are the faster they go... If you lived closer we could have a race... but that's not to be... anyhow glad to hear you're having some fun on the water... I'd like to see a photo of your vessel...
Take care,
John

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 12:06:34 PM »
Donnie, If your having fun that’s all that matters. Getting on the water cheaply is even better and keeps the coolers full. I hear those Changfa’s make a racket. What do you do about that? Photos are good.

John, you must have missed it but Donnie’s talking KPH, not MPH

How bout a Gentleman’s, virtual race? Timed, 5 miles, similar conditions.

Thanks, Geno