Puppeteer

Author Topic: 1200 rpm Changfa 195  (Read 15615 times)

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
Re: 1200 rpm Changfa 195
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 04:03:25 AM »
Well I appreciate the offer. I'm still not sure what small inverter I'm going to purchase yet so I'll let you know when i figure that out. Since the 195 is not autostart I am going to run a dedicated circuit for some basic lights etc. so the wife won't have to sit in the dark waiting for me to start the generator.
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 04:36:49 AM »
Mobile Bob

Do you know what the oil pressure is on your Changfa? I don't have an adapter yet so I can't install a gauge. Or do you have a source for an adapter? Final question is does Utterpower have a shop where I could just stop by sometime or does George only do business on line? I have probably driven by Georges place many times without knowing it since I do a lot of work in Kent.
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 03:48:03 PM »
there are reports of up to 300psi using 30 weight oil when the engine is cold,,,i have no idea why so high

contact george  at    george@utterpower.com  i am sure he will be quite helpful, sometimes he is out of the shop, but he
responds to his emails,, if not just send him another sometimes the spam filter will catch a new email.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 02:08:10 AM »
Sounds like some of the Cummins engines I've seen. I sent George an e-mail.
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 03:35:34 AM »
Well i cant say i have seen 300 psi before with oiling systems i have seen 95-105 psi with 15w40 in the winter. it would start off with no or very little oil pressure for about 30-60 secs until the heavy oil was forced thru the system then watch the oil press guage climb to 100pis until the eng and oil warmed up.

Derek
Still working on finding a lister gennie.
Derek

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 04:52:49 AM »
I've ordered an adapter from Utterpower and hopefully will pick it up tomorrow so I can do some checking on the oil pressure. If it is 300psi (I hope it is) I intend to use a very small amount of the supply ( with a restriction orifice)to run through an oil filter and then enough to lube the turbo (again with another restriction orifice as advised by George at Utterpower) . The turbo would be a real hoot to run but an oil filter would just make good sense so it will be the primary goal. If, that is, the oil pump has enough volume at normal operating temperature to keep from starving the rest of the engine. Should be fun!

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

Doug

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 09:21:19 PM »
I've never sen the inside of the ChangFa, but the Petteroid has no provision for an oil presure releif....

Probably the same cause and effect....

Doug

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 10:14:29 PM »
I've never sen the inside of the ChangFa, but the Petteroid has no provision for an oil presure releif....

Probably the same cause and effect....

Doug

My real Petter has a regulator associated with the external spin on oil filter housing.  I guess it sends excess back to the sump.  Pressure is maintained at 40 PSI at all times, even when cold.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 10:46:47 PM »
I need to see inside of the PHW1 that one of my co-workers bought at a farm Auction. You never know what the Indians changed....

I been thinking that may be something Gus will need for winter....

Doug

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 02:36:55 AM »
Picked up the custom banjo bolt oil pressure adapter form George today. The man does nice work, good fair price also. Nice job on the adapter George. Got home, installed it. Hooked up a brand new Ashcroft 0-300psi gauge (accuracy verified on a dead weight tester at work). Got the following results. Cold engine at 35 degrees. 1800 rpm 95psi, 1200 rpm 90psi. After running for 45 minutes water temp was 205 with engine at 1800 rpm oil pressure at 75psi, at 1200 rpm oil pressure at 65psi. After running an additional 1 hour the oil temperature has stabilized at 145 degrees with the coolant temp at 200 degrees. The oil pressure at 1800rpm was 60psi and at 1200rpm the oil pressure was at 51psi. This acts like it has a relief valve? You can watch the pressure gauge as the engine is coasting to a stop and the pressure hangs in there until what looks like about <50rpm then falls off rapidly. I'm going to do a 5-6 hour run tomorrow and will try to do a flow rate test if I have time. I think with the pressure I see the turbo would survive if I can maintain pressure and flow to the rocker arm end. I really want to know the GPM before I take that leap into the unknown. Part of my test equipment includes an ultrasonic transducer that clamps onto the line being tested and gives a digital readout in GPM. I've never tried it on such a small line though. This is fun!
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 04:04:29 AM »
Well, did a 3 hour run today with the new cooling system. Need to get a different thermostat, 175 degrees doesn't get it. I want to see at least 205 degrees. Tried to do a flow rate test on the oil pressure tap from the rocker box and sadly my test equipment will not detect the flow rate with the cold oil. Once the engine was up to 175 it just barely read <1pint per minute. The oil line is very small and the I.D. looks about 1/16". In don't think the turbo can survive at that rate. For now I will set that project to the side and install a bypass oil filter and a low oil pressure and high water temp shutdown. I'll go back to the turbo after all the safeties are finished. I will probably run an electric external oil pump on the turbo so that I don't sacrifice the engine and that will allow me to see how the engine reacts with a couple of lbs of boost at 1200 rpm.  Hopefully it will allow the engine to make a few more HP at the lower rpm without smoking.
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2007, 01:46:51 AM »
How much oil do yo need to lube a turbo?

I have this little turbo off a Kub and its easy to tap off the oil gallery. How much oil presure fo you think I need to lube a brass bushed Petter.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2007, 03:05:11 AM »
Well that's my problem. I don't want to starve the engine of oil and don't want to smoke the turbo either. Turbo's bearings are kept cool by the oil. Not enough oil and failure. That's why I am going to run an external oil system for the turbo just for testing. Hopefully I will be able to determine how much pressure and flow it needs to survive. Last thing I want to do is cook my engine trying to use a turbo that it really doesn't need.
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2007, 04:15:31 AM »
Can't be much oil....

Looks like a 10 mm banjo feed it oil.

So after we go turbo then what?

Race?

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

dieselhead

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2007, 05:41:35 AM »
Hi rcavictim,

Could you let us know how you setup your injector line heater & where we can buy the parts ?

Thanks , Jeff in Colorado