Author Topic: Thinking of mfg. and selling shim kit  (Read 8083 times)

Gaskets-To-Go

• View Profile
Thinking of mfg. and selling shim kit
« on: February 16, 2007, 02:22:39 PM »
Several forum members have contacted me about making a shim kits for the Lister CS series. Recently one reader provided me with the following information about the thicknesses such a kit should contain:

.015 metal (stainless?) shims
.025 gaskets
.015 gaskets
.010 gaskets
.005 gaskets
.002 gaskets

I would appreciate any answers to the following:

1. Will the base gaskets shims fit all CS models, e.g. 6/1 8/1 and their twin cyl. counterparts?

2. Will the OEM Lister base gasket fit Listeroids too?

3. Are the dimensions above sufficient for a kit?

4. One of each of the above for a single kits?

5. Anything else I need to know!

Thanks in advance,

John Baker
www.gasketstogo.com

Ironworks

• View Profile
Re: Thinking of mfg. and selling shim kit
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 08:01:32 AM »
Those shims usually come with the complete gasket kit.

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 09:29:49 AM »
I have just measured a genuine lister 8/1 base shim and it is 0.025" thick and made of mild steel.

The bump clearance for 6/1 and 12/2 engines is 0.075" to 0.080"
The bump clearance for 8/1 and 16/2 engines is 0.045" to 0.050"

Genuine Lister gasket sets included 4 base gaskets all the same thickness acording to the part no.

Hope this is of help

Mick

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 02:26:23 PM »
What about the shims to set the tolerances for the crankshaft?

Doug

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 02:21:02 AM »
I don't know what's the best choice for the Lister but I think Petteroid owners would be served well with a brass shim set for the crank end play, a mild steel or brass shim kit for setting the bump clearence and it would be nice to have a shim kit for th IP to set the timing.

Doug

Gaskets-To-Go

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 04:53:55 AM »
Thanks to all for their replies so far.

Some additional questions below. My apologies in advance for the handholding need. I am not a Lister owner so I don't know all the ins and outs of these machines.

1. What dimensions/quantities should a shim kit aimed at the CS series contain? Ideally I would like to be able to offer one kit that would cover all base shim needs for CS owners, one kit per cylinder.

2. As for material, steel would be cheaper than brass, so I would probably go with that unless othewise indicated. Were the OEM shims steel?

3. Cranshaft shims: Would be interested in learning more about what would be required for that, e.g. sizes and quantity. Perhaps this I could offer these as well as part of a complete shim kit for CS models.

4. Please forgive my ignorance, but would the crankshaft shims take the same shape as the crankshaft main bearing housing joint?

If I can find a consensus I plan on mfg. a small of these for sale separately or in conjuction with the kits I currently sell on ebay and on my Web site.

FYI, BTW, if anyone has any gasket or shim needs for these or any other machines please feel free to contact me.

The base gasket in the kits I currently sell are .5 mm (.020 in)

John
www.gasketstogo.com

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 08:20:56 AM »
Good morning,

I've a question about this shims.

I own a 12/2 from JKSON and there where no shims used anywhere.
The base clearance was adjusted with the usage of multiple gaskets of different thickness.
In which order would the shims and gaskets be used on assembly?
I had clearance of 1.75mm (0.069") clearance on the one and 2mm (0.079") clearance on the second cylinder base.

Thanks
Lars

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 03:01:01 PM »
4. Please forgive my ignorance, but would the crankshaft shims take the same shape as the crankshaft main bearing housing joint?

Yes it is the shape of the crankshaft main bearing housing, where the points of contact are.  I'm not sure how many or the thickness of the shims.  I know that a complete gasket kit contains a variety of shims and sizes for the entire engine.  Peter may be able to help you with the particulars.  Send him an email, he's very helpful.

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 03:10:07 PM »
Good morning,

I've a question about this shims.

I own a 12/2 from JKSON and there where no shims used anywhere.
The base clearance was adjusted with the usage of multiple gaskets of different thickness.
In which order would the shims and gaskets be used on assembly?
I had clearance of 1.75mm (0.069") clearance on the one and 2mm (0.079") clearance on the second cylinder base.

Thanks
Lars

The multiple gaskets of different thickness are what we are referring to as shims.

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 05:19:36 PM »
Hallo!

The multiple gaskets of different thickness are what we are referring to as shims.

From the translation to german I understand shims as made from metal and gaskets (in the meanig of joints) made from softer material.
Could I mix both types of shims for the same cylinder block? Which should I prefer for a listeroid?

Thanks
Lars

Doug

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 07:16:37 PM »
Time permitting I'll start posting pictures of Petteroid gaskets and shims....

Doug

Gaskets-To-Go

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 03:11:57 PM »
Hi Ironworks. You mentioned contacting Peter, but I afraid I don't know who you are referring to. Can you enlighten me please--thanks!

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »
Hallo!

From the translation to german I understand shims as made from metal and gaskets (in the meanig of joints) made from softer material.
Could I mix both types of shims for the same cylinder block? Which should I prefer for a listeroid?

Thanks
Lars

Shim stock is ordinarly metal of some sort but in the case of this application it is paper or gasket material.  Its just to shim the cylinder up to desired tolerances.  The initial shim is metal and is .015"  The additional shims are paper or gasket and various thickness to suit the application.

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 05:31:04 PM »
Hi Ironworks. You mentioned contacting Peter, but I afraid I don't know who you are referring to. Can you enlighten me please--thanks!

GTG

I believe Peter goes by the handle Listerdiesel

taeuber

• View Profile
    • Coppermine gallery
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 07:33:28 PM »
Thanks

Lars