Puppeteer

Author Topic: your shaft size  (Read 4384 times)

wildman

• View Profile
your shaft size
« on: January 31, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
ok ok i mean for the generator!

as i look at most of the generators for sale, i am noticing that all have metric shaft size. the 15kw have a 48 mm shaft. my math tells me that this is 1.8864". std tapered bushings come in 1 7/8 which is 1. 875. this .011 smaller than the shaft. will the 1 7/8 bushing fit over the 48mm shaft?

does anyone import generators with sae shafts?

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: your shaft size
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:57:41 PM »
Send your generator head over to Doug.  Perhaps he would be kind enough to polish the shaft down the required 0.011 inches for you.  ;D

Actually if the split hub center was tight, you could actually open it up a bit in a vice with a half round file and some abrasive paper.

You raise a good point though.  The existence of more than one industrial size standard for shafts and almost everything else in the world is soooooo stupid !
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 03:15:04 PM »
Wildman:

I don't understand. Why not just get a 48 mm bushing and be done with it? Have you had difficulty sourcing the metric sizes?

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 07:38:27 PM »
yes, i cannot find one in the st louis area. ww grainger has 1 7/8  and 1 15/16. i think that inserting the screwdriver into the crack would give you the .011, but do not know. with everyone buying the st heads from the folks listing on ebay, i wonder how they attach?? where are metric bushings available?? there isa company called "dalton bearing" on the web, but you have to send a request for a quote. maybe i will--asking for the price for 1 unit. this should be interesting.

chuck

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:06:36 PM »
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Part number 2344K4
They do not list all the sizes in the catalog page but if you select that part number you get a drop down menu that has all the sizes.

wildman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »
thank you!!

they would sell more if they listed the other sizes. i looked at that before, but did not click on the part no to get the drop down box.

now i will search for the appropriate sheave to use. i am direct driving with a driveshaft and will "modify" the sheave to do this.

thanks again- chuck