Author Topic: ST generator theory of operation?  (Read 5454 times)

codesuidae

• View Profile
ST generator theory of operation?
« on: January 24, 2007, 04:58:23 PM »
I'd like to learn more about how the ST type generators work. I wonder if someone could refer me to a resource describing the details of how this specific type of generator works.

I'm interested in learning the basics about how voltage regulation is done as well. I've read many of the discussion threads here about the problems with the simple voltage regulation found in many of the ST heads and the problems it causes with the waveform, but without understanding more about how the generator works I'm having difficulty understanding the problem with any depth.

I've read a number of articles about construction of 3 phase generators for wind turbines, but these have all been constructed with magnets. I don't yet have an ST generator to disassemble so I'm not quite sure what to look up.

Thanks!

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
Re: ST generator theory of operation?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:21:03 PM »
Hi there,
I realy must try google to find all the information about electro generators. You will see there are two types field and permanet magnet for the rotor lower power until 1000W can be permanet magnet type whitout brushes and no ware and no voltage regulation.
try a old stepping motor if you want you can use it as generator. the field type yes is using bushes to power the field lowering power to the field wil lower the output voltage. do not stop this type of generator and still having a heavy load you will remove any remaing magnetic from the field coil and your generator will stop working ( a little playing whit a 12 v battery on the field for one second will help to bring your gen to life again).

the system works basicly like this by starting ( whitout load) the remaing mag. field in the field from the rotor start building up a voltage by the ingreasing speed. this start provding voltage to the field coil a strong magnetic field is build up and this is in the rotar and provides a changing magnetic field in the stator coil. as soon as that we have the correct voltage we or stop the voltage to the rotor coil or reduge the voltage. and the is the problem , stoping is a very nasty way to control the voltage (stoping the current we first greats a high voltage piek and then drops the volatge to fast), just lowering the voltage is abetterway but expensive in parts.

i hope this helps, and your reference to the wind generator home build generators using the magnets from microovens and harddisks is only for low power high speed generators.
the magnetic flux is not strong to provide high power.

Greetings from Greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.

codesuidae

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:42:11 PM »
This matches what I understand about alternators.

Is the 1kW limit on a magnetic generator mostly economic? Do magnets necessary to produce more than 1kW just cost too much to make it worthwhile?

In the ST generators, how does the voltage regulation work? I know that the Z winding is involved, but I don't understand where it is wound or how it is employed to modify the field current in order to control the output voltage?

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:48:38 AM »
"George's CD" at utterpower has the diagrams and theory on the ST.   Congrats if you can understand it.   :-\

Who's on first???
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

codesuidae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:52:35 AM »
Oh, excellent, I have his CD, I just haven't gotten that far I guess. Thanks!

peterako

• grazy dutch in Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 04:41:19 PM »
If you read the information to protect your fingers in the instructions for this type of perma. magnetic generators. you must understand that you are on a safety limit to handel the magnets just think about a 5 KW perma magnetic generator home build. it is a very dangers if not impossible to build.

Plus the magnetic field around the generator will make a nice tool holder when you work on your lister. ;D

( maybe in the direction from the generator  so called used in the TV serie " LOST ")
Greeting from Greece
lovson 6/1 DI backup for my new house using solar heating and power plus a 1000W wind generator.