Puppeteer

Author Topic: Georges Cd arrived, my CS is comming apart...Several Questions..  (Read 9863 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Georges Cd arrived, my CS is comming apart...Several Questions..
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 03:13:12 PM »
fireram--

That does it. I appreciate it.

The radius and, most importantly the alignment, of the rockers to the valve stem is VERY important for long valve guide life.  The orignial engines seems to have been set up very well...the Indians throw the parts in without care and it can wallow a guide out of spec in a hundred hours.

The rocker shaft mount and everything attached to it should be inspected closely before running the engine for long periods.

This sort of thing is not uncommon in Listeroids.....and inexplicable!!    It takes TALENT to be that far wrong!!   :o
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

fireram

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 07:22:20 PM »
hotater...  I see what you mean.  You would not think that block that holds the rocker arm to be a complicated piece to machine...

I see from your photo album you had to mill off the top of your piston, is that because you milled the cylinder block square??

I dropped off the cylinder and piston to a fellow that rebuilds engines.  He figures that when the rod broke and chipped off the bottom two pieces of the sleeve, it also wedged the piston and it peeled some of the chrome plate off...

He is going to see if he can find an oversize piston and rings and bore out the cylinder past the chrome plate back to the cast iron.. He figures the cast is just as good as the chrome. I don't know???  I just hope the sleeve under the chrome has no voids..

Has anyone here ever bored out there original lister??

I also cleaned up my head last night. I was thinking of having it dipped in acid to clean out coolant channels, but I like the old green oily patina on the outside..  So tonight I may just try my hand at seating the valves.  They cleaned up real well, and probably wont take much.  I thought I would just put a drill on them with some compound and spin them in place. 

As far as the guides go, are they replaceable?  I think it was the exhaust had a nut head and the intake guide looked to be pressed in.  I was wondering if someone may have replaced one of them at some time??

Thanks again everyone..
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 07:27:32 PM by fireram »

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 07:38:09 PM »
fireram--

That's great the machinist can re-bore.  I sure wouldn't worry about voids in English cast iron and the wear factor should be comparable to the early hard plating.

Some of the parts books show a threaded exhaust valve but both of mine have pressed in guides.  Pressed in guides are pressed out from the piston side.  Be sure to drive them out and back in with the proper tools.  They're easy to mess up without a proper driver.

If you have some slop in the valve stems, you might check with the same shop about putting in bronze liners.  He can probably line them in place.

When you lap the valves be sure to lift and rotate it a little after three seconds.  That brings new compound under the valve and helps clean and cut better.   The abrasive embeds in the head and needs to be cleaned VERY well.  Scrub, brush, wipe, oil and re-scrub.  Don't get the grit in the guides or you'll need new parts in a hurry.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

listerdiesel

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 10:32:27 PM »

As far as the guides go, are they replaceable?  I think it was the exhaust had a nut head and the intake guide looked to be pressed in.  I was wondering if someone may have replaced one of them at some time??

Thanks again everyone..

New exhaust guides have a recess on the valve side and a thread on the body. If you have a hex on the old guide, then unscrew it, DON'T knock it out.

If you need a picture of the guide, give me a shout and I'll photograph a new pair of guides.

Peter

Stan

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 11:03:39 PM »
Also if you end up with a cast iron cylinder, get chrome rings.
Stan

fireram

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 04:50:34 AM »
Only one has a hex top, You would think that they would have done both at the same time if one needed replacement, Although it could have been the catastrophic event that broke the rod, also pooched one open valve and guide. i dont know...

I think I may just ask the machine shop to have a look at them.  there is not really any play in them, but you can tell that they have been worn some. and the impression i got from the shop guy was that he really knows what he is doing.

He came higly recomended.

I have gotten this far,  how about the bottom end.  I cant detect any play or see anthing broken or worn out on the crank or cam.  The lifters feel smooth as glass and they rotate easily.

Is there anything specific I should look at in the bottom end, or check, or should I just take it down for the sake of it.  I am a little nervus about getting everything back together and in line and timed properly, not to mention the mass of the flywheels.  But if you recomend it,

thanks

listerdiesel

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 05:05:42 AM »
Only one has a hex top, You would think that they would have done both at the same time if one needed replacement, Although it could have been the catastrophic event that broke the rod, also pooched one open valve and guide. i dont know...

The hex is on there to allow it to be screwed in. This was a change from the early guides, your engine wouldn't have had these from new, they are probably a retrofit on a service.

I think I may just ask the machine shop to have a look at them.  there is not really any play in them, but you can tell that they have been worn some. and the impression i got from the shop guy was that he really knows what he is doing.

He came higly recomended.

If there is no side to side play of any significance then leave them alone.

I have gotten this far,  how about the bottom end.  I cant detect any play or see anthing broken or worn out on the crank or cam.  The lifters feel smooth as glass and they rotate easily.

Is there anything specific I should look at in the bottom end, or check, or should I just take it down for the sake of it.  I am a little nervus about getting everything back together and in line and timed properly, not to mention the mass of the flywheels.  But if you recomend it,

thanks

I'd be inclined to check through the oil pump and pipes, clean the gauze filter on the pump inlet and things like that. It's a pretty bullet-proof bottom end.

The cam followers last almosty for ever with proper lubrication. Check the camshaft bearings, they are plain bushes and don't get a lot of oil.

Peter

fireram

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 05:55:25 AM »
So be it, tomoro, out with the cam, I hope....