Puppeteer

Author Topic: lister exhaust  (Read 8094 times)

honda lee

• View Profile
lister exhaust
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »
I am looking for some good ideas to get my exhaust note as quite as possible. My listeroid will be hooked to a generator head permanently installed in a shed at my home witch is in a neighborhood. thanks for any good ideas.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Re: lister exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:10:12 PM »
I went down to the local Midas Muffler and located a round muffler that looked to be just right. It's about 7 inches in diameter and the body is 2 feet long. Sure enough, it's quiet and low restriction. I've heard that Midas won't sell direct anymore. That's too bad. Maybe you can find a local muffler shop that will. Also ebay is a good place to look.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 06:51:17 PM »
honda lee,

Great use of the word "witch".  I used to work with unhappy teenagers and they would talk about their step-witches (some were exactly that) but your connection to the neighborhood is appropriate in some situations too.  What do you call a group of local witches?  HOA (no, not street walkers) Home Owners Association.

I'm sure you'll see lots of suggestions.  I'm going with the 5 pound propane tank massage and then to the over-sized auto/truck muffler.  The pile of rocks kind of has an appeal about it too.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 04:33:47 AM »
There are some topics here and on microcogen about stealth installations that have some very effective exhaust systems - underground piping and the like. Probably just what your situation calls for!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
Here is a link to one of my youtube videos and while the primary focus of this video is not the lister, near the end of the video you will see and hear what the exhaust sounds like.  In my other lister videos you can see the propane tank muffler fitted to he engine with a cheap 20 dollar Summit racing turbo muffler behind it. The muffler is a large baffle design with very little back pressure. The propane tank acts as an expansion chamber further reducing the thump of the exhaust. Since that video I have buried the pvc pipe. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp9w12H6HX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2zUvQIIuY

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
  A few feet of plain  pipe after the muffler will dampen the sound even more. As if a 2nd muffler had been installed.

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 11:35:06 PM »
wow! carlb23 what a system and i don't mean just the lister. are you selling power back to the grid? how do those heat bladers work on the back of your house?

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:36:04 AM »

I used an automotive muffler. The kind that reverses the flow twice inside the muffler.
It's has 2" diameter pipes.
Worked very well.
Outside the garage it was very quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx5qABD5WD0

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
wow! carlb23 what a system and i don't mean just the lister. are you selling power back to the grid? how do those heat bladers work on the back of your house?

Since that video we have added another 11.2kw of solar on a tiltable ground array, and yes we sell back about 8 to 9 MWh a year back to the utility.  We are able to keep our house at 73 degrees all year around using a central air conditioner/heatpump.  While we do have natural gas we only use it for cooking and grilling everything else runs on electricity.

the two solar air heaters provide 30 to 35% of our heat in December, January and February and as much as 80% in October,November, March, and April.