Puppeteer

Author Topic: Changfa?  (Read 5990 times)

draganof

• Keeper of a Mighty Changfa
    • View Profile
Changfa?
« on: January 05, 2007, 02:10:33 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with buying from Carrol Stream Motor Company? They have what appear to be Changfa engines at good prices. I want to order one of the small ones to tinker with.
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

twombo

• View Profile
Re: Changfa?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 02:39:18 AM »
CAREFUL now! I've looked at those they are Jiang Ji or Wang Chungs or some other Chinese dish. Mohammed in Ohio sells real ChangFa's which are the cream of the chinese crop.  Chinese stuff has a variable level of quality  like Indian stuff. I've heard and seen some of the low lines that are pretty dismal. I have heard good stuff about Changfa slow speed diesels on almost every count. Hardy Diesel occasionally had some pretty ugly horizontals engines over the years andthey seem to have been other than ChangFa when they were problem children.

YMMY

Mike

Doug

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 02:49:47 AM »
I noticed the Jiang Ji QC problems a while ago when fellow posting on another forrum had one self distruct after a few days use. I wishI could find the site ( it was posted as a blog on Otherpower )....

Some good pictures as I remember of the bearing failure and trouble with the importer getting the correct parts to repair it...

Some newbie here bought a Jiang Ji from Altopro perhaps I hope we get good news from it..

Doug

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 03:06:15 AM »
Thanks for the info. That's a shame. They seem to be the only ones that are offering the smaller engines along with good prices. I spent many years in South Korea in the early 70's and these little diesels were real workhorses. Seem to last forever. One thing I did notice is they were not used for driving generator heads. They only used them for the 2 wheeled tractors and although they worked them hard you never seen them operating at high speed. Just seemed to lug them at low rpm, maybe that's the secret.

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

draganof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:11:35 AM »
So how do I find this Mohammed in Ohio? Looks like I need to shop there.

John
Changfa 195 and ST10
8kw Yanmar/Kohler

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 03:32:46 AM »
So how do I find this Mohammed in Ohio? Looks like I need to shop there.

John

John,

Mohammed goes by the vendor name `motorsgeneratorsandstuff` on ebay.  Do a vendor search.  I don`t think he had the small Chinese diesels in the Changfa brand, just the big ones like 195 and up.  I could be wong.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

DREW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »
hi all
  i purchsed a changfa 195 from mohamed and he was very reliable. he even sells a direct drive coupler for 100.00 very heavy duty.
he also has smaller models. check out ebay for his store. the smaller engines do not have counter balanced cranks.
                                            drew
changfa 195 7kw, ashwamegh 6/1 5kw