Author Topic: Engine/flywheel failure poll  (Read 22095 times)

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: Engine/flywheel failure poll
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2006, 09:37:56 PM »
Direct observations--

The one mechanical failure was a broken pinion gear which also broke the cam gear.

As I recall (it's written on an electrical box cover) that happened at about 1800 hours.  An experimental 'yellow' gear was sent and installed.  The teeth on that gear are now very thin.  Pictures soon.

I have seen the thin yellow ones. Thats what brought on the offset idler gear bolt. Incorrect location of the hole in the case. I would bet the broken one was caused by the same issue. If the offset is excessive it will place the load on the tips of the gear and if one fails we can see what will happen. Just my opinion and my indicators.

If you want someone else to protect you from bad wheels why not have an engine 'builder' or flywheel foundary set up a test pit and certify wheels at X rpm??  Those that want to pay extra for flywheels tested can do so....or do your own.   But leave the regulations to the free market place, not some politician's idea of a good way to pamper his voters.....and take more of their money.
<off topic political rant gulped back down to fester some more.>

I love it! I wrote a post that said the same thing! Trashed it.....It's good to know some of our heads are in the same place :)....
Dave 
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Smokey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2006, 10:03:15 PM »
Lets talk in terms of probability of failure and NASA for a moment. Around the time of the Challenger loss NASA was asked to calculate the probability of a catastrophic system failure.  Estimates ranged from 1 in 50,000 to over 1 in 1,000,000.

The actual rate of failure at the time of the Challenger loss was 1 in 25. Just prior to the Columbia loss the failure rate improved to 1 in 89.  As of the most current shuttle flight the failure rate is 1 in 58.5 for 117 shuttle flights.  Granted the shuttle is far more complex and inherently less fault tolerant than a listeroid engine, but then again NASA is staffed by some pretty bright people who, in hindsight, were unable to accurately predict the failure rate of the shuttle. 

In some earlier posts, I pointed out some listeroid design shortcomings of the crank, tapered roller main bearings and flywheel and stated my negative opinion about mounting this type of Listeroid on resilient mounts.  I hold this opinion not because the resilient mounts are a guaranteed road to catastrophic failure, but because this type of mount, in my opinion, increases the probability of this type of failure occurring. You might be thinking the “he’s a worry-wart, that ain’t gunna happen to me.”  If so, read on.

I have had an experience where what “could not happen” did. This involved a fire inside an over-the-road gasoline tanker that was in for maintenance related weld repairs.  It had been steam cleaned for 8 hours. It had been sniffed for combustibles with a meter. It had been worked on and welded in for an entire 8 hour shift the day before.  Yet there was still enough fuel in one of the dump lines that would support a fire.  I went in, started welding and you guessed it. This was a fire in a confined space, you don’t have to get burned severely to get killed; lack of oxygen and smoke inhalation is enough. I was lucky, no burns, cuts or bruises, just scared sh!tless. 

I also did a job replacing a failed manhole cover assembly on a dry bulk material tanker trailer.  My boss told me the story of what had occurred. These are unloaded using about 10-15 psi of air pressure.  Unfortunately for the driver, as he was walking along the top of the trailer which was under pressure, stepped on a manhole cover, at that moment the manhole cover failed and this guy was thrown about 30 feet in the air, he landed hard in the parking lot and died from his injuries.

My point in all of this is that no one can “know” that their creation, be that a listeroid engine mount or any other mechanical device, is safe at any point in time.  We always assume there is a margin of safety available that will protect us against uncertainties. Unfortunately, we can never know exactly what that margin is, only what it should be.  When that margin of safety is gone bad things can happen very quickly, as the examples above illustrate.

The listeroid, particularly those with TRB mains, belongs on a heavy rigid base. Whats that? The transmission of vibrations is a problem? Then build a proper isolated foundation.  If you need portability, get a portable engine.  If your engine is located such that a broken flywheel can potentially threaten the life and limb of another it is your obligation to put in place a structure that can contain the pieces. If you own a genuine lister with 50000+ hours on the clock, do you know there or no fatigue cracks starting in a flywheel?  Same cautions apply.

Yeah, I have annoyed a few people over the years by preaching safety.  You want to do something risky and hurt yourself, go right ahead, that’s your business. But you’ve got no right to hurt anyone else in the process. No, I’m not a safety Nazi and I don’t much like work done in that area by lawyers/politicians. 
Metro 6/1, ST5 Genhead

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito,
"do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it."

tim

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 11:09:28 PM »
The reason of this  one flywheel failure did not have any thing to do with how it was mounted. It is mounted on 8" I beams on 6 inch square timbers 6 feet long , sunk in the ground on one end just enough to level it.  And you can set a cup of coffee on it and it will set there with just the tinest ripple in the coffee. And that even after taking the flywheel off my 12/2.

Tim

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 01:03:22 AM »
The Challenger disaster was predicted well in advance.  Thiokol knew their gaskets were brittle at the lower temperatures, the NASA engineers knew it.  The president wanted a nice fireworks show for the USA that day and he got more than he bargained for.

It's very easy to make decisions when it's not your ass on the line, seems to me as part of the confidence test that every airplane that is repaired the A&P should be on the checkout flight, every new signalling system put in place for railways - the designer should be sitting on the front of the locomotive.

You'd see a little more careful checking if the person doing the work would suffer the consequences.

Robert

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 01:21:01 AM »
You'd see a little more careful checking if the person doing the work would suffer the consequences

That's why I say the airlines should fire the stews and make the people checking luggage fly with me.

For the ulitmate airline securiety put a billy club in every seat back and lock the cockpit door.

7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Guy_Incognito

• Just a guy, incognito.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 10:12:58 AM »
Ok, so apart from Guy_F's tangential rant - where he makes the usual load of sweeping generalisations and gives very little hard evidence to the topic at hand - I've seen a couple of good responses.  I've poked through the board, and whilst I've seen many,many references to what-may-hap? , I see very few references to actual injury or death directly attributable to a lister/listeroid engine failure of any kind. I say again, mainly for Guy_F's benefit -

- There are no doubt quite a few people who own engines here.
- They are all of extremely variable quality. (The engines, that is!)
- Not knowing precisely how many people run their machines 24/7 , one can only guess at the total hours run by all of them. 200K?
- I have yet to read a post where someone has been seriously injured (that is, hospitalised) by their engine. I've seen a lot of 'could haves', but nothing yet that's gone all the way to the final result. Apart from dumb luck (eg. it exploded but there was no-one around) - all the other things that stopped it from reaching the point of injury are legitamate controls, such as monitoring machine noises, good shutdown controls, guarding/retaining parts, regular inspections, co-incidental inspections (saw something while glancing over the machine) etc.

So, are we blowing the probability of it happening all out of proportion? There's no doubt that there is some finite level of risk involved. Whether it's the bogeyman that some paint it to be is debatable.

Don't give me references to propane tanks, shuttles and a million other things that have bitten people on the ass that are 'sort of the same' as running a listeroid. There are enough people on this board that we can get a good idea of the 'average' listeroid's safety in 'average' conditions. For a specific engine - we'll never know. Your engine might spit its flywheel out tomorrow and there's not a damn thing anyone here can do about that, that part is up to you to manage as best you can. To really manage that, you need to know the probability and the consequence. We know the consequence, we don't know the probability. Without the probability you can't tell if it's a big risk or if its something that you don't lose sleep over.

So post your engine failures. In addition to that, if you've done some decent time on an engine and everything's been fine, post that too.

tim

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 01:15:57 PM »
G.I.
I've worked around sawmills all my life with 60" saws know what happens when one comes off the mandle,nothing ,nada.  Now if it come of the rim say a tooth, ring, broken shoulder thats a different story, it will damage any thing in a straight line with the saw. I personally don't think if the flywheel breaks at the hub its going to do much damage. At the rim like the saw you would probaly have to replace the motor . Will this keep me from running my listeroid  { HELL NO} I've been through open heart surgery mechanical valve replacment so you see this is no big deal. I'll take responsibilty for my actions because i have been careful all my life you have to be careful to make it around a sawmill.
Tim

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 02:11:31 PM »
Guy Incognito,
   (I just can't help but think of V for Vendetta when I type that but I digress)....

I would think that there ought to be some historical data for the old Listers concerning injuries.  I'm not sure how you would find it but there has to be some failure of the original Listers that caused damage and or injury.  If anyone had searchable access to death certificates and could find any reference to "death due to engine explosion" or something like that.

It may be that there's very little recorded about it though, back in the days of yore when stuff like this happened they either patched the chap up or buried him and fixed what broke and went on about their work.

I'd wager a guess that a lot more people got injured at the consumer end of the power that a Lister provided than at the Lister end.  Those pictures of lister powered sheep shearers, or turning lathes or threshing machines and what have you.  Lots more opportunity to get chewed up by moving parts designed to chew things up than by the power plant.

make sense?

It would be interesting to compile a list though just to see what has happened.

Robert

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 02:43:18 PM »
Ok, so apart from Guy_F's tangential rant - where he makes the usual load of sweeping generalisations and gives very little hard evidence to the topic at hand - I've seen a couple of good responses.  I've poked through the board, and whilst I've seen many,many references to what-may-hap? , I see very few references to actual injury or death directly attributable to a lister/listeroid engine failure of any kind. I say again, mainly for Guy_F's benefit -

- There are no doubt quite a few people who own engines here.
- They are all of extremely variable quality. (The engines, that is!)
- Not knowing precisely how many people run their machines 24/7 , one can only guess at the total hours run by all of them. 200K?
- I have yet to read a post where someone has been seriously injured (that is, hospitalised) by their engine. I've seen a lot of 'could haves', but nothing yet that's gone all the way to the final result. Apart from dumb luck (eg. it exploded but there was no-one around) - all the other things that stopped it from reaching the point of injury are legitamate controls, such as monitoring machine noises, good shutdown controls, guarding/retaining parts, regular inspections, co-incidental inspections (saw something while glancing over the machine) etc.

So, are we blowing the probability of it happening all out of proportion? There's no doubt that there is some finite level of risk involved. Whether it's the bogeyman that some paint it to be is debatable.

Don't give me references to propane tanks, shuttles and a million other things that have bitten people on the ass that are 'sort of the same' as running a listeroid. There are enough people on this board that we can get a good idea of the 'average' listeroid's safety in 'average' conditions. For a specific engine - we'll never know. Your engine might spit its flywheel out tomorrow and there's not a damn thing anyone here can do about that, that part is up to you to manage as best you can. To really manage that, you need to know the probability and the consequence. We know the consequence, we don't know the probability. Without the probability you can't tell if it's a big risk or if its something that you don't lose sleep over.

So post your engine failures. In addition to that, if you've done some decent time on an engine and everything's been fine, post that too.

with this post, I am outta here. why? it's becoming too dangerous and I am about to cross a line.

I've said before, I had a really old fashioned apprenticeship, and one way or another got exposed to a lot of old stuff, I grew up around compound steam engines and old fashioned internal combustion engines.

Like I said elsewhere about learning hydraulics from one of the guys who developed the battleship gun stabilisers for vospers in the last big one, the significant part about this is you end up being exposed to blokes who worked their whole lives with this shit.

I've seen it happen with the steam game, it went non commercial, then hobby, and now it is sort of regulated a bit, you need boiler certificates etc.

I have been to the lister factory on several occassions, and talked to the movers and shakers there, and the actual reason CS production ended was dwindling markets, but not for lack of demand, but lack of legal profit margin....

You simply cannot sell a diesel engine with twin external flywheels, anyone who is in business will know this, the health and safety and insurance implications are a nightmare.

Guy_Incognito, you're a fucking idiot, in exactly the same way as those who got into steam as a hobby when it went thataway commercially, those who worked with steam had a ___healthy___ respect for it and the potential it had to go disastrously wrong, those who played with it didn't learn this, didn't appreciate it, and "accidents" abounded.

A lister CS or clone is an exposed external flywheel engine, you aren't fit to judge the inherent dangers.

You are all like weekend sailors looking at the nice calm sea and sunshine and ever realising that EVERY saolir knows the instant you step off the land the sea is in charge, and if it chooses it will smash all works of man asunder.

An exposed flywheel engine is INHERENTLY DANGEROUS, and the nature of the danger is such that there is never (to the inexperienced eye) any warning of any kind, one heartbeat you are safe, the next bad things are happening and no human can stop them before they wind themselves down.

I don't give a fuck what experience you think you have, unless you have absorbed, by osmosis, countless decades of experience from people who spent their entire working lives around such machinery then you are a babe in the woods when it comes to exposed rotating machinery.

Same can be said for old fashioned live pulley powered workshops, exposed belt drives, conveyors, waterwheels, steam, and so on.

You are a fucking idiot because you are playing risk assessment with stupid fucking software that does not have as the very first question "How many decades of experience do you have with this particular scenario?" and if the answer is less than two then the whole test returns and null result. You are indulging in security theater because you want to feel good. You lie when you say you are indulging in security, because you don't know what security is.

I know mobile bob feels the same way about me as you do, he makes the same mistake, he thinks his experience of other fields qualifies him to make judgements about exposed flywheel machinery, and he things I'm just trolling, same as you.

___EVERYTHING___ that is playing out here now has happened before, in the steam arena, every year a couple more (despite the embedded safety regulations which we do NOT have here) traction engines get destroyed, people get injured, sometimes killed, and it gets harder and harder to afford a working steam engine cos the fucking asshole who thought he could control a machine that only went 10 mph tops ended up destroying it and whatever was in his way.

Usually when you looked at the steam "accidents" it wasn't rich idiots from the city the caused them, it was fucking arrogant assholes who were experienced in some field of engineering and thought they could apply it to steam intellectually and get sensible answers.

Sometimes in idle moments I remember, I remember a guy, Stan I think was his name, he had one withered hand but that was from birth, so he managed OK, and he ran the lumber bandsaw up at eric englands sawmill, I didn't see the accident so I don't know exactly what happened, nor did stan, it happened too quick, long and short of it was he lost his good hand, driving someone to hospital while they are sobbing "what the fuck am I going to do now (with no hands)?" is something you don't forget, that was 30 years ago, the Ruston dragline used to kill people regularly, usually when they went into the power shed without throwing a pipe in first to earth the charge, euclids maimed people regularly, I could go on and on and on, recounting the maimed, broken and dead bodies, and it wasn't all in third world countries where life is cheap.

I saw the wankie colliery disaster, lots of people who didn't made jokes about kaffirs or niggers and suchlike, but every body that comes up from an underground coal mine explosion is black, and it was 400 men a damn sight braver than me (my family were historically hard rock miners, screw that) died down there, and hundreds of brave men went down after them to get the bodies out.

I've told you all about the workshop driven by overhead fast and loose belts, and the slooooooow guillotine at the end by the door to the toilets, and how people would put their finger in the guillotine, despite the face that there were men working there who had lost fingers doing exactly that in that very machine, the pull of machinery is dangerous and hypnotic.

I guess really the machinery isn't the dangerous thing, it is people, and you're one of em, maybe one day you'll get exposed the that strange atmosphere AFTER an event, picking up bodies and pieces of them off the "field of battle" as it were, maybe then you'll get clue #1, but until that day comes you will still see the FUN or the HOBBY or the PROFIT first, and the DANGER and SAFETY somewhere down the list.

And go fuck yourself with the "if you had your way nobody would get out of bed" bullshit, putting DANGER and SAFETY fist doesn't stop you from doing anything, in fact most of the greatest engineering achievements of mankind would not have been possible without it.... given the technology of the day, things were made as safe as they could be.

You're a fucking menace, and you are fostering an attitude and a belief amongst others that things aren't likely to go wrong, and even if they do it shouldn't be that bad, you should be able to hop out of the way.

Some of us know that with certain types of machinery it is not if but when, and when when becomes reality things go wrong too fast and too hard to stop or dodge out of the way, and if you don't already have safety procedures and working methods in place then not only is your ass grass, not only can your domino set others toppling, but those who have to pick up the pieces are going to assess the ongoing dangers before they rush in to save whats left of your ass for the tribunal.

Exposed flywheel engines, of which Lister CS and Listeroids are a prime example, even before you add a belt drive to an alternator and add high speed belts and electricity to the equation, are INHERENTLY EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and absofuckinglutely WILL kill or main first chance they get.

It is NOT a case of IF, but a case of WHEN.

The "culture" that is evolving here is way too dangerous for me to be associated with any longer, I still have some years of working life ahead of me and I can't afford to be associated with the willfully negligent attitudes on display here, the internet isn't someone's back porch, everything you publish on email or online is likely to come back and bite you on the ass some day.

This is the wrong medium for shooting the shit about subjects that can end up with negligence lawsuits and manslaughter charges, cos everything you say IS recoded and easy found to be used against you.
http://web.archive.org/web/20060410153049/http://listerengine.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/20060410153049/http://listerengine.com/

Those of us not wishing to pursue a change in career or not wishing to abandon pursuing our hobby safely will have little option but to drift away, leaving the podium / forum to you and your ilk, the blind leading the blind, and another necessary ingredient in the place in the chain of causality that eventually leads to the inevitable "accident"

I've seen some seriously worrying things here, but that broken flywheel made my asshole pucker up, hairs stand on end and blood run cold, and I'm old enough and experienced enough to know that when things like that happen you do NOT look at the machinery around the flywheel, you look and listen to the people, and decide who you are going to go on shift with, and who is so dangerous you aren't going anywhere near anything they touch, and maybe even is it time to hand your papers in.

I've said it before, I have said at various times in my life "one day you fuckers are going to kill someone" and so far I have never been wrong, much to my regret, and cowardice perhaps that I always jumped ship instead of staying around and trying to steer the tiger.

One day you fuckers are going to kill someone.

SO long, thanks for all the fiche (sic) this is my swansong folks. I may stop by now and again but not logging in and not posting, if anyone wants to contact me off list drop an email to
d a v e n u l l @ b l u e y o n d e r . c o . u k

cya

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

tim

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »
G.F.
1011 Posts and still trying to feed everybody  B.S.

Tim

duh

• View Profile
    • Home of the 375 rpm Listeroid and Diesel Bike
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 03:39:11 PM »
So, - some folks should never:
  • Have anything sharp - they could get cut
  • Drive a car - they could crash
  • Operate a woodstove - they could burn down their house
One of the often overlooked aspects is "focus". When you lose your focus the risk factor changes.

Just because one has a bad experience, doesn't mean it's taboo for the masses. DAILY, there are far more people killed, maimed, etc, by situations that do not involve open-flywheel engines, and yet, amazingly the repeated risks are taken and life goes on. Learn to minimize your risks and share that with the learners out there.

I could go on and on but you get the picture. Life comes with a risk - deal with it in a way you are comfortable. If you're not comfortable, go find another hobby.

Duh
http://diesel-bike.com
P.S. I've recorded my own posting so I don't have to worry about the conspiracy changing it....

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 03:50:41 PM »
Does anyone here think a 24" 125# Indian made cast iron 650 Revs/Minute flywheel x 2 is risk free?........I didn't think so!

Mine doesn't have a boiler yet so I'll stick with the main issue.....
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 04:07:30 PM »
I spend my professional life in the Courts of the U.S. explaining how someone got killed or injured by defective firearms.  By law, the other side can ask me  (under Oath) about anything I write or say in the public record...and they do.  Big deal.  

IF I were the worrying type that wanted to try to deny the normal human learning experience,  I could cruise the internet 24/7 warning new experimenters, dreamers and idiots of how they are about to ascend on a pillar of flame from the stupid things they do.  (just other night someone steered me to a page that offered sleeves to insert 22 RF ammo into, and THEN beat a hollow point in the end with a hammer!!)

If you want others to hear what you have to say, write an entertaining book, don't sit in a Socialist nanny state and gripe because we can STILL do what we please with the freedoms you gave away in the search for someone else to blame.

Your vocabulary belies any usefulness you may have.  Good riddance, Guy F.  You remind me too much of the political thought that seems to migrate towards areas of too much freedom.

Those who give up freedom in search of securiety deserve neither----paraphrased from Ben Franklin.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 04:19:49 PM »
Hotator,
I built a 1885 high wall 45-70 for grins before the 6/1's. Do I need to stamp the warning on the barrel to make it safe?
Xyzer
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 05:01:56 PM »
GuyF:

it is just like you to take a "parting" shot, and a cheap shot at that.

you continually do the following

1.  step out of the shaddows, make yourself out to be the expert in all that is lister,

2.  you give use formulae, one formula  F=ma, then tell us to do the math

3.  you grandstand on others work, i have several examples

4.  you accuse others for picking a choosing what they want to hear, and dismissing what they don't what to hear,
     and then in a second breath do the same on countless occasions,  (an example is Jack Belk's last engine, but you don't mention the first)

5.  you are so narrow in your views so as not to be able to even discuss options, without options we as a people are walking deadmen.

6.  when the heat comes up, you hurl shit with the best of them, then take your ball and go home.  that is a cheap cop out if i ever saw one.

7.   you know full well that i have researched both styles of mounting, and you also know full well that i support the use of concrete, and you
also know full well that i am only exploreing from a point of theory, but no...... we gotta make old bob a fool for even talking about the theoretical.

8.  and you like warm beer,,,, what's that about?

it occurs to me that we have a cultural difference, we as americans are risk takers and always have been, it is in the blood.
whereas generally you english are more conservative, and take far few risks , that too i suppose is in your blood.

understanding this makes it easier to understand where you are coming from. but... then again....

there you go, throwing your hand full of shit at the rest of us, and picking up your ball and going home.

to be fair to you, (and believe me i am not feeling particularly charitable toward you just know)

your points re safety are to be commended, certainly there are those that are lacking in fabrication skills and probably will have problems
there is little way to protect one from himself.
i don't know about risk assesment but it would seem more likely one can get killed in numerous ways in this country, without even owning a lister let alone
a poorly mounted one.

anyway...
so long you cranky old bastard, its been a blast, perhaps we can go a few rounds again someday.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info