Puppeteer

Author Topic: What does it sound like?  (Read 7431 times)

listerengine2006

• View Profile
What does it sound like?
« on: December 27, 2006, 02:11:10 AM »
I'm sure everyone has a special sweet sound when their engines are running at optimum efficiency.
Please share with us any audio/video you have of your creations.  I'm sure you all have wonderful descriptions as well.  Tell us how it sounds after all the work to get your engine purring to perfection:)
Does anyone ever catch you tapping your foot to the sound of the engine?  Can you tell the rpm by the sound it makes?

I wonder what this one sounds like?  Looks like a real whiner:)  Duh, tell us what else you have done with this setup, its really amazing.  Glad to hear about the increased life expectancy of the house with this setup.
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=1431.msg19024#msg19024

Listeroid 6/1 5KW

hotater

• View Profile
Re: What does it sound like?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 05:36:16 PM »
I named my engines  "Magic Throb One and Two" for the place (Magic Hot Springs) and the sound.

The engine is 'restless leg syndrome' speed and can hammer your eyes shut for a nap....especially on summer afternoons with a cool breeze and the  distant rumble of thunder as re-inforcement.

The regular thump of the Lister also can combine with ANY other noise to create something half resonance and half imagination, too.  I have running water from a creek, several springs,  a grumbling propane hot water heater, and several pumps running, usually.  When combined with a passing plane or even my own heartbeat on silent snowy nights, they can 'hitch an acoustic ride' with the metronome beat of the Listeroid and make your eyes wide with something TOTALLY off the wall.

(Chronic tininitis and high freq hearing loss from burning tons of gunpowder and an active imagination contribute their fair share, too!
Single Malt Scotch is in NO way responsible! ;))

There are certain RPMS that seem more pleasant and more 'recognizeable' to me.   I experimented with Magic Throb-I without load but with a tachometer and found that 660 rpms was pleasant and smooth for that engine, but slower was better.  I was hesitant to go to  one of the 'magic numbers' lower than 660 for fear of de-rating the output too much.

On MT-II I went with 606 rpms and LOVE it.  It's ten times heart-beat for me and I recognize the changes between us even if I can't *hear* it.

http://community.webshots.com/video/3029644400028237237
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 06:51:16 PM »
Nice looking dogs Jack....

I wish my Lab would sit for a picture like that. Generaly she's too buisy ( like my son ) and seems to share his fascination with taking tools and parts from one side of my work shop to the other....

Doug

duh

• View Profile
    • Home of the 375 rpm Listeroid and Diesel Bike
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 03:28:46 AM »
I'm sure everyone has a special sweet sound when their engines are running at optimum efficiency.
Please share with us any audio/video you have of your creations.  I'm sure you all have wonderful descriptions as well.  Tell us how it sounds after all the work to get your engine purring to perfection:)
Does anyone ever catch you tapping your foot to the sound of the engine?  Can you tell the rpm by the sound it makes?

I wonder what this one sounds like?  Looks like a real whiner:)  Duh, tell us what else you have done with this setup, its really amazing.  Glad to hear about the increased life expectancy of the house with this setup.
http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=1431.msg19024#msg19024

listerengine2006,
I have put this engine through some long hard hours even if it does not look it. Because it is inside the house and I am part of the Energy Fair Tour of Homes, I have vowed to keep it clean and presentable at all times. (Got it down to a science now.) Currently, (and for quite sometime now) this engine is set to run around 370 rpms. Initially I was skeptical that it could meet my power needs (both AC and DC simultaneously) and survive at that rpm (and yes - the big sin - resilient mounted!). The whiney part you mentioned is the DC side pulling about 70 amps or so during the video shoot.

http://www.diesel-bike.com/Lister_Gen/Videos/low_rpm.wmv

More video clips of this engine at the bottom of this webpage:
http://www.diesel-bike.com/Lister_Gen/Lister1.html

The entire system at a glance:
http://www.diesel-bike.com/System/9Main.htm

Good luck, ask questions, there is a lot of knowledge / experience around.

duh
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:35:55 AM by duh »

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 02:38:49 PM »
Not my engines and not my videos, not even lister/oids.
But they sound good. :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w68Gv5P8oxA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jcjt0uQDbxw

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:39:37 PM »
Duh:

how many watts can that little guy pull at 375 rpm?

that video puts a smile on my face every time i see it

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

duh

• View Profile
    • Home of the 375 rpm Listeroid and Diesel Bike
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 06:11:32 PM »
Duh:

how many watts can that little guy pull at 375 rpm?

that video puts a smile on my face every time i see it

bob g

Hi mobile_bob,
I'm not sure of actual watts output and I'm too lazy to do the math, however, at 375 engine rpm the DC side turns at about 3200 rpm and is set to clock 75 amps, based on 12.4 volts or less battery bank voltage.

I have tested the output of the DC side at 120 amps continuous at 375 rpm/12.4 battery voltage/ but the AC side will definately flicker (even too much for me) between powerstrokes (will hold between 118-124 volts during the simultaneous use/load). The engine seems quite happy though.

Setting the engine speed up to 660 rpm and the DC side to full output (200 amps continuous when the battery bank is around 12.2 volts) will actually slow down and stall the engine (I couldn't believe it!). This DC unit is pretty interesting and has yet to become more than lukewarm to the touch even while cooling with indoor temps of 65 deg or higher.

The autoparts store ate many a warranty on automotive alternators when I went through the learning/testing curve!

duh
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:05:14 PM by duh »

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 01:21:46 AM »
Hi There is a Snow gas engine of about 400hp at the Florida Flywheelers. It was a natural gas compresser in it's original use. Two double acting cylinders on a single crank and con rod. Lots of good engineering. The engine now runs on propane and is run at 25-30rpm.
Dennsi
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 02:06:14 AM »
the snow engine in fla. should be running next week during their swap meet/If anyone is going . let me know/I have heard from some that are, should be a good get together///sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc