Author Topic: Where to buy a listeroid  (Read 15626 times)

Speedy

• View Profile
Where to buy a listeroid
« on: December 24, 2006, 09:21:08 PM »
We(me and my 10 year old son) would like to know where we can buy a new lister/listeroid from? I am a DIYer so I am looking for quality castings but dont mind doing a complete tear down to remove casting sand. We are located in Iowa (USA) and would like to hear from some local DIYers. thanks for the info

DaveW

• View Profile
Re: Where to buy a listeroid
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 01:54:39 AM »
    Welcome to the goup.  There are gearheads up your way, so hang on and someone will probably chime in directly.  This time of the year may be a little busy for a prompt response.

DREW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 03:42:11 PM »
hi speedy
i purchased an ashwamegh 6/1 from a guy in massachusetts. i just started to look into it and have been very pleased. seems sand was limited to 1 rib on inside of sump and tappets and cam have nice polished surfaces. i have not looked at whe wrist pin yet but have no vertical scratches in the cylinder wall. choose your source carefully and make sure they answer your e-mails. rocky mountain power (eric) seems to be a stand up guy. he has even taken a trip to india. it seems he has a good reputation and i believe he carries ashwamegh.
good luck drew
changfa 195 7kw, ashwamegh 6/1 5kw

vegedge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 06:29:30 PM »
Newbie here also

Although I have converted my diesel Suburban to WVO, Listers are fairly new territory. I am interested in running a lister on WVO to provide electricity for my residence.  I have read this forum for quite a few hours and have not seen anything that answers the following question (maybe I missed it):

I see Listers were manufactured quite a few years ago. Were the prevalent in the US and/or Midwest? Put another way, What are my odds of finding one of these for sale at a Minnesota farm sale?

Is it true you can find parts for the old ones and they can be rebuilt good as new?

Thanks

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 09:48:26 PM »
I think Listers are somewhat rare in the USA, but may be found where grid power was unavailable. Old farms, work camps, etc. So they might be found on Epay, estate sales and machinery auctions. Also sometimes in old engine classified ads like the Western Iron Trader etc. Although you might be diverted to some ultra cool old American made antique engine along the way....
I had an early ASHWAMEGH which was quite sandy, and ballanced well @ 940 RPM, but at the rated 1000 RPM was getting shakey, and any slight overspeed was jumping around breaking mount bolts. Perhaps they made are better now.
I run at a much more relaxed 735 RPM and like it alot.
The rebuild process to remove the sand was acually kind of fun, and I involved my wife and step sons to the extent that they might be interested. It was especially worth while during our 4 day blackout, where it warmed the hearts and fannies of ourselves and part of the extended family who were completely unprepared.
Scott E
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Stan

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 10:08:18 PM »
Hi "vegedge"....Yes genuine english Listers were made by the shipload and sent off to all parts of the world.  "The sun never set on the British Empire" etc. ...  I talked up Listers for a couple of years with everyone I knew and finally someone I had known for decades told me he had one sitting in his back field.  I gave him a hundred bucks (I had offered two hundred but he said it was only worth a hundred as scrap which was where it was headed if I didnt' take it)  I now have "Penelope" a 6/1 with heavy (25" 240??lb flywheels) sitting in parts in the basement waiting for big end bearings and rings .  A couple of weeks later I was given a lead on a 12/2 which I sent off to Troy of "ecodiesel" in Lethbridge.  They are out there!  I'd bet a hard earned dollar that there's one a couple of hours drive from you just sitting in a back shed somewhere and the owner has forgotten about it.  Go to the nearest "farm" community and get a copy of the local paper and put a wanted ad in it.  You'd be happy with either a Lister, or a Witte, or a Fairbanks Morse model Y (I think) as they are all diesel powered and will run just fine on wvo (with heated fuel lines of course). 
Good Luck, be patient.
Stan in Kimberley

vegedge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 10:54:03 PM »
Thanks that's a great idea. I was thinking of looking for ads, but I'm sure placing one would be much more successful.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 04:17:21 AM »
We will also have a shipment of the Indian CS type clones in the shop soon. Our location is Central Kansas so should be pretty easy shipment in the Midwest. We specified high-end best quality on all the parts - but results remain to be seen. I have long-standing business relationships with engineering firms in India and can work on the problem of QC until we get reliable results. I will keep our results posted when they come in. We also have original Listers but none of the older CS variety at present. The closest thing to CS we have available in original Listers are FR models at the present time but lots of the newer equipment and parts of course.

Best Regards,

Gary
diesel-electric.us
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Doug

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 04:39:29 AM »
Slow down Speedy....

Few engines from India arive without issues. Some deadly serious as with the Metro fly wheel incendent earlier.

These can be a lot of fun, but take your time and shop around and read. Why pay as much as 2000 USD for an engine that may be no better that a cheap 900 dollar unit only on the venders promiss ( often no better than Indian QC ).

There are good venders out there shop around.....

Doug

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 03:53:54 AM »

Scott -

I just purchased a 20/2 cs lister, I am trying to get some real facts on slowing down the engine a bit.
The real issue here is I don't have anything that looks like a manual; so I'm flying blind here. I sure could use your wisdom and advise. Also do I have to fear "wet stacking" in the slow down process.
Rob -

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 04:15:51 AM »
Hi
I used a lighter spring and adjusted it to get the 650 rpm I wanted.

A good manual probably cannot be found.

Wet stacking is, I think, Primarily a result of not being broken in. You need a load to heat up and breakin these engines,

Use one or two magnets in the sump. There have been discussions of oil and most other topics here. You need to read the old posts here.
Good luck
dennis.
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 03:39:45 AM »
Hi Speedy -

Another place you can find a real quality listeroid from is oldstylelisters.com  All their engines are balanced and blueprinted. you can save a little money if you want to buy it in a kit form. As far as their Gen heads, they quit handeling the Chinese ST style head. As a matter of personal choice I would like to keep the ST head because it is simple and has stood the test of time over and over again. You can find a ST head on  E-bay.
Good luck,
Rob -

Doug

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 12:10:39 AM »
A lot of people have had problems with Old style Listers....

No one who has purchased one from them recently has posted to update us problems. OSL has had serious problems and sold engies with sand issues, bad st heads, water damaged engines, siezed engines.

OSL has gone out of buisness, blamed all their problems on Anand and then back injuries.

The owner has posts here to plug his engines pretending to be two or three different people at the same time...

Its very hard to tell exactly what is going on over there or if they are building as good and engine now as they claim.

Do a search of the site and vender here and see what you turn up.

This "new" Listeroid building shop looks modestly well equiped for building engines. Trouble is I don't see a single Listeroid or Listeroid part in these pictures, so is this actualy OSL or somebody's speed shop. Does this shop do work for Willy and on this day they weren't doing any engines for the pictures or is this a complete fabrication?

Why is every picture of as Listeroid part taken on or infront of exactly the same machine ( Lathe ?)
Notice the premium quality paneling behind the lathe, didn't see any paneling in the OSL shop are these the same place or not?

Here is another troubling snip about kit engines:
NOT Blue Printed Single Cylinder Kit Engine
In this kit all parts come from India and are in there original stock form. You will need to clean and prepare the castings before you assemble the engine. Note: These are parts that are not used in our blue printed engines due to out of tolerances. "
I read this too mean they buy engines and strip them. Build the best engines they can with the parts at hand and package the junk for resale as a kit. Since Indian parts are so cheap I have to ask why you would do this rather than just scrap the junk.

Ever notice no one who sells Listeroid engines shows pictures of anything remotely more sophisticated than a small warehouse?

Doug
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 12:31:34 AM by Doug »

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 02:17:52 AM »
I just heard from some one I meet 3 weeks ago in fla. and he has a 12-1 for sale // I think still in crate / I do not know the brand. he also several chinese engines for sale//as usual no personal interest etc,etc. I have his e mail if some one in the south east wants to contact him/ he should be at the engine show in avon park fla. next week//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

wirenutrob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 02:36:40 AM »
Sid -
I might be interested. Please drop me a his E -mail or pnone number. my e-mail is wirenutrob@aom.com