Author Topic: Breaker X-fer switch recommendation...  (Read 7118 times)

Ray C

• View Profile
Breaker X-fer switch recommendation...
« on: December 12, 2006, 02:07:17 AM »

All,

I'm looking for a breaker transfer switch panel; something similar to the one shown here:  http://nooutage.com/501210.htm

These darn things are mighty expensive and I was wondering if anyone knew of more economical brands or distributors.

Thanks

Ray

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: Breaker X-fer switch recommendation...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 03:22:50 AM »
Have you tried Gen-tran.com?  They make several different options for manual transfer, either as an add-on panel or as a replacement panel for your existing breaker panel with an interlocked main and generator circuit breaker.  Their prices didn't look too bad.
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 03:33:40 AM »
Theres a thread on here called "transfer switch rant" which has some thoughts from various members about transfer switches.

You ought to try and figure out what exactly you need from a transfer switch.

Do you want it to switch between utility power and generator power to basically switch your entire house load of circuits in one place? 

Do you want one of those multiple circuit jobs that you can switch individually from utility to generator using a switch per circuit?

Automatic or manual?  If you're investing in Listeroid technology chances are an automatic one is not your ideal choice.

figure out what you want to really do with it and then check out fleabay.  I do a search on there such as:

transfer switch -data -bnc -gmc -gm

which limits the search to electrical switches not printer or data switches or transfer case switches for 4X4 vehicles.

happy hunting

Robert

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 03:50:06 PM »
You might find this interesting:

http://www.interlockkit.com/

This product makes it possible to use an existing breaker panel with a generator by installing a mechanical interlock between the panel's main breaker and another breaker that connects to the generator.

Please bear in mind that I have no practical experience with this product and cannot vouch for either the product or it's manufacturer.

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 04:35:26 PM »
 that would be the way to go Andy .  ;) and one could make their own  a lot cheaper  ;D   thank you for the link. :)

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 05:44:44 PM »
Of course, if you make your own, the electrical inspector might give you a bit of a hard time...

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 10:54:07 PM »
  $149.95 for the one I needed. That's a "go for it" kinda price. :P     Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 12:43:49 AM »
 I can not see paying $149.95 for two pieces of metal and three screws ...to go in my own box ..it can be made for less than  $20.00
  but thats just me .. if you are not handy you have to pay....just download the brochure and show the inspector  ..

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:11:42 AM »
You're not paying $149 for the 2 pieces of metal you're paying for the UL listing (as worthless as it may be).  If you're going to get this inspected they aren't going to want to see something you made yourself (even if it is better made than this one) they are going to want to see something with a UL stamp on it that tells them it's approved.

Personally I like the idea of a 3 phase switch to completely isolate myself from the grid.  It's simple, it achieves what I want.  All I have to do is find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

This sliding plate thing is a neat idea though.

Robert

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 01:49:28 AM »
  I used to work at municipal/industrial wastewater treatment plants which had generator hookups for all our liftstations.  The breakers for the line power and the generator power were mounted side by side, with a base mount for a bar/plate sandwiched between the breakers, with the bottoms hooked to common lugs feeding the panel itself.  There was only two ways to seperate the operation of the bar and the breakers, 1) Use a torch to physically cut away the bar/plate, 2) Disassemble the panel to remove both breakers to get at the mounting bolts for the bar which was underneath the breakers.  There was a metal plate or bar mounted to the unit in such a way that both breakers couldn't be on at the same time.  Similar to the plate shown earlier.  In order to switch to gen. you had to turn the line breaker off (handle down), then move bar to that side, which then allows you to turn the gen. breaker on.  To reverse it, turn the gen. breaker off, move the bar in that direction and then turn the line breaker on. 
  We also had dual feed for a lot of the plant (480v, 3 ph, 1000amp) with manual or powered switching through a knife switch setup.  The knife switch was three position with one line feeding in the top of the box, the other line feeding in the botom of the box and the load coming out from the center.  Handle all the way up fed line one to the plant load.  Handle in the center position was total disconnect.  Handle in the down position fed line two to the plant load.  Strong point was that each position was VERY positive to insure that you couldn't somehow get them crossed. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

Ray C

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 03:39:24 AM »

The interlock thing is a nice invention.  I wonder if their "back-feed" breakers are any different than normal breakers???

Actually, what I really want to do, is keep most of my house on grid power and just a few select circuits on generator power.  For that, I'll need a panel similar to the one I posted...

I'll keep looking.

Ray

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 06:08:28 AM »
I doubt very much that this outfit makes breakers, they just buy the breakers for the types of panels they support and re-sell them.

Ray C

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 11:32:47 AM »

Affordable Transfer Switches!!!  I found them...  These are exactly what I was looking for.

http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Default.aspx